PDA

View Full Version : Friendly April 27 Bay Area Get Together Thread :D

John Weiland
02-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Ok, here goes.

I propose we get together April 27 in the San Francisco Bay Area, either in S.F. or San Jose or in-between. What's best or preferred for everyone? I'm not just trying to get out of going to S.F. I really feel we can accomodate a group best in San Jose.

Do we want to work out first, then go to lunch (mid-day) or dinner (late afternoon/early evening), or do we want to meet for dining first?

I would like to do some sharing, see each others sets, roll a bit, chi sau, etc. Death matches to be determined on an individual basis. I make a good line judge. :D

What does everyone interested think?

Regards,

kj
02-03-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by John Weiland
Do we want to work out first, then go to lunch (mid-day) or dinner (late afternoon/early evening), or do we want to meet for dining first?

I feel it is always appropriate to break bread or at least have tea with folks first. Tends to keep those death matches on a more cordial level. ;)

If we schedule for an early lunch time, that would allow for an afternoon of sharing and chi sau. We could play it by ear if anyone has interest and bandwidth for optional dinner afterward, making most of the day.

I would like to do some sharing, see each others sets, roll a bit, chi sau, etc.

Same here, though if some people are inclined to keep it even lighter or more reserved, I'd still be very happy for them to join us and share whatever they are comfortable with.

Death matches to be determined on an individual basis. I make a good line judge. :D

Yeah, and I'll keep score from the sidelines, LOL.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

aelward
02-03-2003, 01:17 PM
It's not exactly easy for me to get to San Jose, but we can at least try to make it! Personally, I think SF is a much more central location. What type of place did you have in mind? Were you looking for a park, or a school?

Anyway, we have a get-together (I have tentative confirmations from people from 5 different schools) scheduled for February 15 at my school in Oakland from 2-5 PM; I believe I sent an invitation to John Weiland already...

We are also juggling with two dates at the beginning and end of March, when EBMAS folks and VTM folks will be in town, respectively.

kj
02-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi John.

You may not have caught the earlier thread (buried in the "attn: Chango" topic). Andrew S. and possibly even Joy may join us. We are hoping to get Hendrik, Roger "Rolling Hand" and maybe some others to join us too, in addition to your group and hopefully some of the usual suspects from Ken's and Ben's groups and any others in the cross-group training collective. The more the merrier.

As for me, location doesn't matter as long as it's within a 4-6 hour driving radius of San Francisco, and locatable on a map. It's all relative. :)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

desertwingchun2
02-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Aelward - Is your gathering open to everyone? If so I will be in S.F. that weekend and time permitting I would like to attend. Can you e-mail me some info? It will be appreciated.
-David

aelward
02-03-2003, 04:13 PM
RE: KJ
> You may not have caught the earlier thread (buried in
> the "attn: Chango" topic)

yeah, i missed it until now. Sounds cool. I still say SF, because it is centrally located with plenty of public transportation for the few of us without cars. I suggest either Golden Gate Park, St. Mary's Square (near Chinatown/Financial), Portsmouth Square Bridge (Chinatown/Financial), or Justin Herman Plaza (Financial).

UC Berkeley (Sproul Plaza) is also a quaint area with not so bad parking; a large group of people doing martial arts would not garner a second glance, either; and we could probably sell tickets for any death matches.

------------------------------

RE: desertwingchun2
You are more than welcome to join, please e-mail me at: aelward@hotmail.com

Grendel
02-03-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi John and KJ,

Caution: This post contains a degree of good natured irascibility, ....or what passes for it coming from me. :p

Originally posted by aelward
RE: KJ
> You may not have caught the earlier thread (buried in
> the "attn: Chango" topic)

yeah, i missed it until now. Sounds cool. I still say SF, because it is centrally located with plenty of public transportation for the few of us without cars.

Centrally located? Frisco's surrounded by water on three sides! :D Aquaman has not committed to attend. This is California. We drive to these things. :D The only place we can be assured of connvenient eating, workout space, and parking would be on the Peninsula. Besides, if I'm corrent, Planet Wing Chun and Hendrik work in Silicon Valley, so we should consider their work/leisure strictures.

I suggest either Golden Gate Park, St. Mary's Square (near Chinatown/Financial), Portsmouth Square Bridge (Chinatown/Financial), or Justin Herman Plaza (Financial).

Those busy public places don't sound conducive to a relaxed friendly get together. Is there still ice all over Justin Herman Plaza? :) We could wear our skates, so non-auto transportation is taken care of. :D

UC Berkeley (Sproul Plaza) is also a quaint area

Isn't that in Berkeley? Bummer, Dude! Last I checked, it's still an ugly student ghetto with bad vibes. You've gotta provide the drugs if we have it there. :D What about lunch? They eat grass and leaves up there, don't they? What are the rest of us going to eat? We may need our MA skills just for being so politically incorrect. :rolleyes:

with not so bad parking; a large group of people doing martial arts would not garner a second glance, either; and we could probably sell tickets for any death matches.

A large group of people sacrificing virgins and goats would not garner a second glance in Berzerkley. Good suggestion about selling tickets. We better sell them in advance if the audience can just "drop in" and wander off after.

If Kathy Jo can travel 3000 miles to attend, we should be amenable to wherever the group decides to meet. :D

We could probably guarantee more senior hands coming to San Jose, but if Rolling Hand and Tom are coming down from the north, S.F. or (gag) Berzerkley should be doable.

RE: desertwingchun2
You are more than welcome to join, please e-mail me at: aelward@hotmail.com
desertwingchun2, I pm'ed you in case you haven't seen the message. The more the merrier.

Cheers,

Marshdrifter
02-04-2003, 09:25 AM
hmmm...

A sihing of mine, who lives in Stockton, has been pestering me
to come visit anyway. I might be able to squeeze up enough
money to be able to come visit on that weekend.

I'll know as it gets a little closer.

Stephen

John Weiland
02-05-2003, 03:38 PM
Are people really interested in getting together on April 27?

We can use the facilities at San Jose Wing Chun, which can accomodate a pretty large group, or as mentioned, we could probably use Portal Park in San Jose's suburb of Cupertino, the city in which Ken Chung teaches.

As for lunch beforehand, I'd recommend Chinese cuisine as it accomodates a wide range of tastes. We celebrated Ken's birthday recently at a Cupertino restaurant and there are many in San Jose in the vicinity of San Jose Wing Chun's school. Is anyone inclined toward BBQ? We could probably arrange that as well. Sometimes the school celebrates that way and it's a lot of fun. Fun and friendship being the operative concept for this get together. (Of course, if Grendel comes, all bet's are off in that regard.) :D :D :D

If there are a preponderance of North Bay advocates, how about meeting in Marin Headlands national park on the north side of the Golden Gate? Lots of room and things to do even beyond Wing Chun for those so inclined. Swimsuits are optional. There are probably BBQ facilities there as well, or we could bring our lunches, or go potluck.

Just trying to keep the interest alvie for those considering coming.

Regards,

aelward
02-05-2003, 04:13 PM
It seems like there is a good momentum for this, just need to keep reminding people that it is happening.

I say do the BBQ (and bribe Steve and Sandy Wong to cook again), because it is "on-site" so we don't have to worry about meeting up at some restaurant and some how get together at the other location later.

In retort to Grendel:
>Centrally located? Frisco's surrounded by water on three sides!

This is what bridges are for.

> This is California. We drive to these things

You apparently haven't seen the "Made in California" commercials, where some guy says he doesn't own a car. Not ALL of us own cars, you know.

> Those busy public places don't sound conducive to a relaxed
> friendly get together.

If you have "checked your ego at the door," then you can be relaxed and friendly in any public place. Plus, Justin Herman Plaza and St Mary's Square are virtually abandoned unless there are events in the former.

> Isn't that in Berkeley? Bummer, Dude! Last I checked, it's still
> an ugly student ghetto with bad vibes.

So the last time you were there was what, the late '60s?

> What about lunch? They eat grass and leaves up there, don't
> they?

College town = cheap eats. You can find lots of cheap, good food, some still bleeding if you so desire.

-------------------

That said, since you are the one who suggested all this, just pick a #$)()#@ place, and we will find a way to get there.

Zhuge Liang
02-05-2003, 04:14 PM
I'll go if John goes, but if Grendal shows up, I'm leavin'.

Zhuge Liang

kj
02-05-2003, 06:22 PM
Just a caveat before we dig Steve and Sandy in too deep. They do a phenomenal BBQ! However, they will be doing one for the Wing Chun Camp the following weekend. Unless they are gluttons for punishment, it might be asking quite a lot of them to do it two weekends in a row. John, you are obviously in a better position than I am to assess the prudence of asking them, so I'll defer to your judgement.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

John Weiland
02-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by kj
Just a caveat before we dig Steve and Sandy in too deep. They do a phenomenal BBQ! However, they will be doing one for the Wing Chun Camp the following weekend. Unless they are gluttons for punishment, it might be asking quite a lot of them to do it two weekends in a row. John, you are obviously in a better position than I am to assess the prudence of asking them, so I'll defer to your judgement.

Nyet! I was only suggesting self-service BBQ. I wasn't volunteering Steve and Sandy.

Grendel
02-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Hey Zhuge,

Originally posted by the Zhuge Liang
I'll go if John goes, but if Grendal shows up, I'm leavin'.

Zhuge Liang
What? This goes against the whole basis of a friendly get-together. Hold that thought. :p Well said.

I'm going unless I have to cook. Bacon sammiches. Yumm! :D

I'd like to hear from David Williams, Hendrik, and Roger Rollinghand too. Since the former two were the provided some impetus to the notion of a meeting, they must attend.

Regards,

An jie
02-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Please let me know when you have a definite date, because I might be in calif. around that time. Thanks

planetwc
02-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Well I can probably make it.

What about Roger?

kj
02-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by An jie
Please let me know when you have a definite date, because I might be in calif. around that time. Thanks

An Jie, we are shooting for April 27th. Hope it will work out for you to join us - let us know.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

kj
02-09-2003, 11:32 AM
I just got a message from Tom Parker - he's in. I think Melody Lacy will join us also.

Joy, how's it looking for you?

As for location, still doesn't matter to me, though I admit I'm curious about the Marin area mentioned, especially if it's remotely as nice as the YMCA area where we hold the WC Camp.

Regards,
- kj

yuanfen
02-09-2003, 12:19 PM
kj- not sure yet. I dont know all the alternative locations. Naturally,
closer to the airport would be better for those flying in- would matter less to the locals singing Linda Ronstadt's "Is this theWay to San Jose?".
An "idiot" in his car talking on his cellphone ran into my car this am at a convenience store lot. Neither my sister in law(who I was transporting) nor I were injured. WC helped me keeping cool and minimizing the damage to the car- by sensing the idiot beginning his motion, stopping, honking- other cars in the environment cut off all other safe options.

Now I have to see how cheap/sleazy is the other fellas insurance company- they have no agents, low overhead, all by phone-
GExxx. I am sure you have seen their slithering lizards ads.

John Weiland
02-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
kj- not sure yet. I dont know all the alternative locations.

North to South, the proposed locations for meeting up after lunch follow:

Marin Headlands--KJ, this is where we hold the May Wing Chun camp. It has many public areas and other attractions. It also has the advantage of being close to SF without being in SF.
John Kang's various suggestions in SF, Bezerkley, and Oakieland---Oakland is the only one of the three with a proximal airport, although SF has one in Daly City, but I don't think anyone is proposing that for a location.
San Jose Wing Chun---3rd Street----located very close to San Jose's International (ahem) Airport

Also, Joy, wherever you arrive, we will arrange for your convenience and conveyence to wherever the group settles on.

Naturally, closer to the airport would be better for those flying in- would matter less to the locals singing Linda Ronstadt's "Is this theWay to San Jose?".

I'm not sure Linda Ronstadt has recorded a version of that song. She probably knows it though from the time when she was dating Governor "Moonbeam" Jerry Brown (current Mayor Maynot of Oaklandt.) :D

Sorry to hear about your auto "accident." Good luck collecting. :(

yuanfen
02-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks John W.
Joy

PS Linda R is a Tucson gal originally.

desertwingchun2
02-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Jerry Brown is still an active politition!!??:confused:
oh man ...... Sorry Oakland

kj
02-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Marin Headlands--KJ, this is where we hold the May Wing Chun camp. It has many public areas and other attractions. It also has the advantage of being close to SF without being in SF.

I was hoping that's what you meant. I like it!! As I am only familiar with the YMCA area, I wasn't sure about other public use areas there. However, will driving navigation be a challenge in that area? This question coming from one who has taken a wrong turn for Camp 3 out of 5 years. <blush>

John K. - would this work for you?

John Kang's various suggestions in SF, Bezerkley, and Oakieland---Oakland is the only one of the three with a proximal airport, although SF has one in Daly City, but I don't think anyone is proposing that for a location.
San Jose Wing Chun---3rd Street----located very close to San Jose's International (ahem) Airport

I'm still okay personally with these, though hope to ensure no one is put off by location or transportation issues in either direction.

It seems Tom Parker, John Kang and his group, and Melody will be coming more from the North. Assuming Juergen or Jerome may join us, I believe they are both North too.

If we are able to get Hoover Chan or any of their folks to join us, they are in SF area, no?

I presume Andrew S. would be traveling up from the South. Most of the others from our group, would be coming from central and South Bay I think. Maybe if we headed for the Marin Headlands they might consider the drive worth it on that account alone?? :)

I think Dan Lam will join us too, though I don't know where he's coming from. (No offense, Dan. ;))

Anyone else?

Also, Joy, wherever you arrive, we will arrange for your convenience and conveyence to wherever the group settles on.

Correct! Joy, do you know which airport you would use? That may help in evaluation of locations. If it's SFO or OAK, the SF and Marin areas would be closer. If it's SJC then San Jose or Cupertino would reduce the drive time. But again, and for me, it really doesn't matter; in that light I would be glad to drive and get you from where ever I am, and where ever we are going. I am pretty good with maps. Well, except in the Marin Headlands. :p

Sorry to hear about your auto "accident." Good luck collecting. :(

Indeed. Most importantly, glad you are alright, Joy.

Regards,
- kj

planetwc
02-10-2003, 11:50 AM
I would agree with John Weiland that the south bay is MUCH less of a hassle to deal with than SF or Marin. I would recommend that Joy arrive at San Jose (as I think Soutwest only flys to there, not SFO).

Having the get together at Steve Wong's place or Portal park (?) like the last get together is low stress etc.

Driving through SF is a mess, which is always better to avoid.

Grendel
02-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by planetwc
I would agree with John Weiland that the south bay is MUCH less of a hassle to deal with than SF or Marin. I would recommend that Joy arrive at San Jose (as I think Soutwest only flys to there, not SFO).

Having the get together at Steve Wong's place is low stress etc.

Driving through SF is a mess, which is always better to avoid.
Your words reek of wisdom. :D I especially like the mention of low stress. That happens to be my mantra. :D

I second David's suggestion, subject to unnamed concerns not yet posted, that we meet in San Jose, giving consideration to the fact that our civil rights might be violated if we were to go with the Norte Bay Marxist city-states. :D :D :D

Now to the real controversy. Where do we have lunch? We could do pot-luck right at San Jose Wing Chun, including barbeque, or we could reserve space at a local beanerie, which would be less work, but perhaps more travel unless it's within walking distance.

The suggested Chinese food and gotten no feedback, how would Cal/Mexican food do??? San Jose Wing Chun is in Japantown which may have an appropriate restaurant, depending on numbers who come to eat.

Regards,

planetwc
02-10-2003, 07:54 PM
some good mexican food would be fun for a change.

What chinese restaurants are you thinking of?

John Weiland
02-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by planetwc
some good mexican food would be fun for a change.

What chinese restaurants are you thinking of?
How many people are you figuring on??? :D

kj
02-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi John and David,

Any humane cuisine suits me fine. Have either of you by any chance run this option by Steve and Sandy yet? (Being concerned by small details is one of my most annoying fortés, LOL.)

I think that Tom can give Melody a lift. Aelward, what are your transportation options if the gathering is held in the South Bay area? If worse comes to worse, I could plan to drive up and meet you.

Regards,
- kj

kj
02-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Okay, word has it that Steve and Sandy are fine with this option. Thanks for your follow up, guys. :)

((Steve and Sandy are cool. :cool: ))

So ..... shall we go with this plan? Any concensus on cuisine or tea location?

Regards,
- kj

John Weiland
02-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by kj
Okay, word has it that Steve and Sandy are fine with this option. Thanks for your follow up, guys. :)

((Steve and Sandy are cool. :cool: ))

So ..... shall we go with this plan? Any concensus on cuisine or tea location?

If all goes as planned, Aelward and I will get together this Saturday (two days hence). I'll keep ya' posted.

tparkerkfo
02-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Hi All,

SF is a great place to have one of these, except that the parking really sucks. If most people take bart, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I myself will be driving. The North Bay has some neat areas. I beleive there are plenty of places out in the marin headlands, but no resteraunts. Heck, we can probably do Chi Sau on the old bunkers. In any case, I am fine with anywhere. Bart, parking, resteraunts, and probably a restroom should be considerations.

I can drive four people if need be. I offer one seat to Melody if she wants to go. I can pick up some others. John K, I you need a ride let me know.

Joy, I thought I would suggest Sacramento airport. If the flights and expenses are worth it, I can drive us to the get together. Sacramento is about an hour and a half east of SF, so it is a bit of a drive. But just thought it would give you some other options.

Looking forward to seeing you all.
Tom
________
THE CIGAR BOSS (http://thecigarboss.com/)

John Weiland
02-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi Tom,

It was good to see you Saturday. I was happy to realize you're still doing Wing Chun when it's available.

Originally posted by tparkerkfo
Hi All,

SF is a great place to have one of these, except that the parking really sucks. If most people take bart, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I myself will be driving. The North Bay has some neat areas. I beleive there are plenty of places out in the marin headlands, but no resteraunts. Heck, we can probably do Chi Sau on the old bunkers. In any case, I am fine with anywhere. Bart, parking, resteraunts, and probably a restroom should be considerations.

John Kang, who originally suggested North Bay locations, and I discussed it Saturday. I don't want to dictate to the group, but I'm trying to ensure that it happens. John and I agreed on San Jose Wing Chun as the eventual meeting point, after lunch, which is still open for discussion. Either we can meet for tea and lunch somewhere else, or we can picnic/potluck at SJWC. As we get closer, I'll post a poll, I guess. :(

I can drive four people if need be. I offer one seat to Melody if she wants to go. I can pick up some others. John K, I you need a ride let me know.

This is good. The more the merrier. Joy is considering coming, and Dave Williams and KJ are coming too.

Joy, I thought I would suggest Sacramento airport. If the flights and expenses are worth it, I can drive us to the get together. Sacramento is about an hour and a half east of SF, so it is a bit of a drive. But just thought it would give you some other options.

San Jose and Southwest Airlines sounds like the way to go.

Looking forward to seeing you all.
Tom
And you. I hope we all get to socialize a bit together at the gathering.

Regards,

yuanfen
02-17-2003, 01:56 PM
San jose sounds good to me- if I geta good flight etc... want to minimize the "joys" of california traffic- if I make it.

kj
03-12-2003, 08:44 PM
News Flash!

Joy is confirmed for the trip to the gathering on the 27th! He may have to excuse himself early for the flight home on Sunday afternoon, but will be with us while he can, and at least for awhile.

Way to go, Joy. :cool:

Maybe John can give us an update on confirmed logistics for the gathering so far. (Would you, John?) I would attempt it, but don't want to misinform about any details I myself may be shaky on.

Wondering who else is will join us. ??? Heck, if Joy and I can fly in for it .... ;) :)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

John Weiland
03-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by kj
News Flash!

Joy is confirmed for the trip to the gathering on the 27th! He may have to excuse himself early for the flight home on Sunday afternoon, but will be with us while he can, and at least for awhile.

Way to go, Joy. :cool:

Joy's and KJ's presence will be the highlights for me.

Maybe John can give us an update on confirmed logistics for the gathering so far. (Would you, John?) I would attempt it, but don't want to misinform about any details I myself may be shaky on.

If folks will PM or e-mail me, I'd like to get an estimate of head count and who can make it to the Sunday, April 27 gathering of Wing Chun afficionados. :D

I'm hoping for at least 40 for lunch and more for after at our meeting place at San Jose Wing Chun, 608 S. 3rd Street, San Jose, CA 95112.

Lunch will be at a local Chinese restaurant and I'm hoping will cost less than $20 a head (perhaps substantially less. :) ) The place I have in mind is very nice, New East Lake Seafood Restaurant, 61 Serra Way, Suite 120, Milpitas. This is about 10 or 15 minutes from our after lunch rendezvous in San Jose. Any food peculiarities or allergies, please let me know ahead.

I've been talking it up at home, so I expect a good turnout from the local classes. KFO's Aelward (John Kang) said his classes and he would attend. In addition, to KJ and Joy, David "Planet Wing Chun" Williams, Tom Parker, Melody Lacy, as well as various and sundry from Ben Der's and Ken Chung's schools, which includes me, will be there.

If anyone has contacts with other Bay Area schools, Hoover Chan's, or Garrett Gee's, they'd be most welcome if they can make it. The 3rd Street address can accomodate at least 100 folks.

Wondering who else is will join us. ??? Heck, if Joy and I can fly in for it .... ;) :)

It's sounding like a lot of fun with Joy coming. Ken Chung and Ben Der are supportive and I'm hoping they'll attend. Some teachers in their line will certainly attend. I expect representatives from Stanford U. Wing Chun and Union City Wing Chun.

Joy and KJ, I'll talk to you offlist. :D

Regards,

yuanfen
03-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Looking forward to meeting up with whoever comes to San Jose.
It will be a quick in one day and out another for me but I use time quite well. So heads up- the only outside no show possibility would be
a major family crisis- an elderly mom or a sick dog. I have already
paid for the tickets. This will be the 4 th wing chun related out of state trip for me in the last twelve months.

BTW- MA mags are often unevenly distributed in different places.
Normally the May issue of Inside Kung Fu wouldnt be out till late April. But it apparently has already appeared in a couple of places. Sifu Agustine Fong is on the cover and there are other pictures and a wing chun article inside.

Cheers, Joy Chaudhuri
www.azwingchun.com

aelward
03-13-2003, 05:11 PM
I don't think anyone on my side is going to want to pay $20 for lunch, so what time do you expect people to get together at San Jose Wing Chun?

kj
03-13-2003, 05:44 PM
John W., the plan sounds great. Thanks for all your efforts and follow through on the details!

Can't wait to see all you folks, and old and new alike. Aelward, I've been looking forward to meet you and some of your folks for a long time.

About people going to lunch, not going to lunch, timing and such. What if ...

... we meet in time for more of a "brunch" than "lunch"? Say, 10:30ish (if the restaurant serves that early). Maybe convene at San Jose Wing Chun around 12:30 or so. That way we wouldn't have to rush too much, yet we'd still have a decent amount of time in the afternoon with John K. and everyone, and especially before Joy has to leave. Whaddya think?

(A brunch plan would fly fine here in Western New York, but I have no idea how Californian's will receive such an outlandish idea, LOL.)

Regards,
- kj

John Weiland
03-13-2003, 08:12 PM
I don't think anyone on my side is going to want to pay $20 for lunch, so what time do you expect people to get together at San Jose Wing Chun?
Hi Aelward,

That was a high estimate. :D There is a suggestion on the floor offlist for a buffett combination Chinese and sushi restaurant which will be probably only around $8 and no need for a gratuity. I have to check it out however to see if they can accommodate us. This alternative lunch place address info follows:

Fortune China Buffet, 2675 Cropley Ave., San Jose at Cropley Ave. and Capitol Expressway. Cropley is off either highways 680 or 880 so it's on the way for your guys I hope.

408-263-6264

We want you and your folks to come to lunch if you can. Please let me know if this price sounds more reasonable. This second place is about equidistant from San Jose Wing Chun as the first suggestion. This inexpensive Chinese/sushi place is actually quite good.

KJ,

I'll look into the brunch idea. It sounds good to me. Thanks. I'll repost shortly after I check things out. Fear not, we will make this happen, but I'm just hoping for the best turnout and Wing Chun diversity. :D

All the best,

aelward
03-13-2003, 10:44 PM
$8 is definitely reasonable. We are poor, but we're not THAT cheap :P

yuanfen
03-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Extravagance in food is less important than the meeting and sharing by wing chun folks.

John Weiland
03-14-2003, 01:25 AM
Extravagance in food is less important than the meeting and sharing by wing chun folks.
Hi Yuanfen,

I believe that is true. The food is just a focus while we get acquainted. We could meet at Starbucks or Burger King, but I think that Aelward has recanted. :D

Regards,

yuanfen
03-14-2003, 05:07 AM
Buerger King? Nyet. Haven't sunk that low...yet.

aelward
03-14-2003, 09:34 AM
my vote goes to burger king! Heck, I'll spend $20 there :P

John Weiland
03-14-2003, 12:07 PM
my vote goes to burger king! Heck, I'll spend $20 there :P
Sorry, but Yuanfen already overruled you. :p

Matrix
03-14-2003, 07:54 PM
Buerger King? Nyet. Haven't sunk that low...yet. I know it's off-topic, but speaking of Burger King. Have you seen this before? http://www.sillydude.com/cinema.php?PSerial=589 :p

Matrix

yuanfen
03-14-2003, 09:56 PM
That's a ding of a page

vbg

Zhuge Liang
03-16-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm a little concerned that space will be a little too tight. If we have all these people coming from all over and Ben's normal class is gonna be there, along with a number from Ken's, then wouldn't it be a little crowded? I realize Wing Chun should work in close quarters and all, but personally my flaring elbows prefer a little more room. Do we have a head count?

Just wondering,
Alan

John Weiland
03-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Zhuge Liang
I'm a little concerned that space will be a little too tight. If we have all these people coming from all over and Ben's normal class is gonna be there, along with a number from Ken's, then wouldn't it be a little crowded? I realize Wing Chun should work in close quarters and all, but personally my flaring elbows prefer a little more room. Do we have a head count?

Just wondering,
Alan
Hi Alan,

Can you get two head counts from Ken's class on who's coming to lunch and who's coming to the get-together? I'll check with Union City and Stanford's classes, as well as San Jose's.

Aelward, can you give us an idea of how many you have coming too?

Regards,

aelward
03-17-2003, 11:29 AM
If past trends are any indicator of attendance on my group's part, I expect 20 people to say they want to go, but only 3-4 will make the trip.

John Weiland
03-17-2003, 12:00 PM
If past trends are any indicator of attendance on my group's part, I expect 20 people to say they want to go, but only 3-4 will make the trip.
I'm sure we can handle 20 easily. You will be there, won't you? :D

Do you know any other Wing Chun schools with an interest in attending? IMHO, it would be nice to have as many schools as possible share some good fellowship.

As an added inducement, I will try to encourage Sandy Wong to be there. Anyone who doubts that Wing Chun can be effective in a small woman will be in for the surprise of their life. :D

Regards,

Zhuge Liang
03-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi John,

We're estimating around 6 or 7 to show up for practice, and probably a few less than that for lunch. Personally, I think that's a high estimate, but better safe than sorry. Do we have an estimated total head count? Can we also get a list of which groups are showing up? Thanks,

Regards,
Alan

kj
03-20-2003, 06:01 PM
In case it helps John or others with the beginnings of a growing tally:

Conservative estimate so far (~16)
John Kang & Group (~4)
Ken's Cupertino Group (~7)
Joy Chaudhuri
Tom Parker
Melody Lacy
John Weiland
Kathy Jo Connors

More to factor in:
San Jose Wing Chun
Union City Wing Chun
Hoover Chan's group
Any "wayward" Bay Area students? LOL
Any groups I haven't accounted for!

John, how will/should these folks be contacted ... can you manage it? Do we need help? FWIW, I have a contact at Hoover Chan's if needed.

Others ... however unlikely. We can still "wish." ;)
Andrew Somlyo (I heard you've got a priority engagement. Maybe next time! )
Hendrik Santo
Roger "Rollinghand"
Ken Chung (depends on his schedule)
Ben Der
Anyone else want to join us? :)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo (feeling a bit like the "Count" on Sesame Street, LOL)

John Weiland
03-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by kj
In case it helps John or others with the beginnings of a growing tally:
- Kathy Jo (feeling a bit like the "Count" on Sesame Street, LOL)
I'm predicting about 30 attendees for lunch so far. If you have a Hoover Chan contact, please feel free to invite them, and axe them to let us know if any will attend. I was hoping Hendrik and Andrew S. could attend, but I'll happily settle for you and Joy.

Wing Chun Get Together in Bay Area
Purpose: Introductions/Sharing Wing Chun/Good Fellowship
April 27, 2003 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

All are welcome. Please let John Weiland know if you’re attending.

Brunch 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Fortune China Buffet,
2675 Cropley Ave.
San Jose, CA
408-263-6264

After Lunch Get Together 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
San Jose Wing Chun
608 North 3rd Street
San Jose, CA
Major cross streets: Jackson Ave. and Third Street.
Phone: (Steve and Sandy Wong) (408) 293-3644

Regards,

aelward
03-31-2003, 11:13 AM
John Weiland,

Is the restaurant you chose the $20 one, or the $8.50 one?

kj
03-31-2003, 11:22 AM
John Weiland,

LOL - I am 99% sure it's the $8.50 one. I think they took pity on me as well. :D
- kj

John Weiland
03-31-2003, 11:26 AM
John Weiland,

Hi Aelward,

The $8.50 one. I don't think anyone will be disapointed. It's a sushi and Chinese cooking buffett. Sodas included. It's also pretty good. The parking is good. It's in a little shopping mall on the northeast corner of Capitol Exp. and Cropley Ave.

Regards,

John Weiland
04-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Wing Chun Get Together in Bay Area---All Wing Chun Practitioners are Welcome

Reminder

Fortune China Buffet,
2675 Cropley Ave.
San Jose, CA
408-263-6264

The cost of the brunch sushi and Chinese food buffett is about $10.

(Note that this is $1.00 more than previously reported, but worth it. Coincidentally, my cut is 10 percent. :) Just kidding about taking a cut! :D )

San Jose Wing Chun
608 North 3rd Street
San Jose, CA

Please RSVP to John Weiland. I have reserved tables for 30 of us at the restaurant.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you.

Regards,

John Weiland
04-19-2003, 12:40 AM
As this ***free*** event was planned with maximal flexibility in mind, there is still time to RSVP and attend. Please give me a head's up through PM or e-mail.

Reminder

Fortune China Buffet,
2675 Cropley Ave.
San Jose, CA
408-263-6264

(Note that this is $1.00 more than previously reported, but worth it. Coincidentally, my cut is 10 percent. :) Just kidding about taking a cut! :D )

San Jose Wing Chun
608 North 3rd Street
San Jose, CA

Please RSVP to John Weiland. I have reserved tables for 30 of us at the restaurant.

Regards,

cha kuen
04-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time! I hope to make it to one of these. One day when I move to Calfornia. =[

John Weiland
04-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by cha kuen
Sounds like you guys are going to have a great time! I hope to make it to one of these. One day when I move to Calfornia. =[
You're right. It should be a great time. Wish you could make it. There is still time to change your mind. This is about as informal a gathering as I can imagine.

I'm really looking forward to meeting/seeing folks from this forum.

As for moving to California, it's best at the moment to line up a job first, but if you're young and ambitious, there are lots of opportunities out here in dreamland.

Regards,

John Weiland
04-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Good news: Sifu Simon Mayer plus about 6 people Bay Mountain Wing Tsun are planning to attend Sunday. I think we're over forty people now. :D

Bay Mountain WingTsun, 3001 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, CA 94602 (510) 530-3706 www.bm-wingtsun.com

Reminder

Fortune China Buffet,
2675 Cropley Ave.
San Jose, CA
408-263-6264

San Jose Wing Chun
608 North 3rd Street
San Jose, CA

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

Regards,

kj
04-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Good news: Sifu Simon Mayer plus about 6 people Bay Mountain Wing Tsun are planning to attend Sunday. I think we're over forty people now.

Grrreat! :)

Zhuge Liang
04-22-2003, 09:09 PM
It's probably too late to change now, but are you sure there is enough room for 40 people? I know that Steve is very hospitable and all but that won't change the amount of physical space that is available. Is there a park or something nearby?

Oh well. Look forward to it though.

Regards,
Zhuge Liang

John Weiland
04-26-2003, 08:14 AM
This is all happening tomorrow (Sunday, April 27, 2003)

Hope to see you there. :D About a dozen teachers and their students will be attending, including KJ, Yuanfen, and Tom Parker.

Reminder

Fortune China Buffet,
2675 Cropley Ave.
San Jose, CA
408-263-6264

San Jose Wing Chun
608 North 3rd Street
San Jose, CA

Regards,

John Weiland
04-27-2003, 12:18 AM
This is all happening today (Sunday, April 27, 2003)

Hope to see you there. :D About a dozen teachers and their students will be attending.

Regards,

black and blue
04-28-2003, 02:35 AM
So how did it go, guys and girls?

Good food and good Wing Chun?

Anything of interest happen? Anyone take some pics? Lets put some faces to the posters.

Duncan

reneritchie
04-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Yes, did Hendrik, Roger Rolling Hand, and the HFY folks show up? Did Joy make it? Did KJ lay the smack down? Did Bob G. get some BBQ???

Zhuge Liang
04-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi Folks,

Originally posted by reneritchie
Yes, did Hendrik, Roger Rolling Hand, and the HFY folks show up? Did Joy make it? Did KJ lay the smack down? Did Bob G. get some BBQ???

The turnout was great. We had people from at least nine different training groups there. WT, Ken Chung's group, Ben Der's group, John Kang's, Chris Chan's, Joy, Hendrick, Michal Nedderman's, and some people from Boston.

A great learning experience. For me, some things worked well, many other things didn't, but at least I came away with a better idea of what I need to work on. I suspect other people came away with new insights into their training as well.

I was hoping that some other bay area groups might show (HFY, Hoover Chan, and Eddie Chong), but I really can't complain about the turnout. Maybe in future gatherings they might find the time to join us.

KJ most definitely layed the smack down. She was vicious! You think I'm joking, until she puts you on your ass... But perhaps I shouldn't say too much, lest I suffer her wrath the upcoming week. =)

The brunch was also good. I enjoyed Joy and Hendrick's company. Particularly interesting listening to Hendrick talk about the lineage connections back to Yik Kam. Ken seemed to agree on some points, and there seemed to be an overlap between their historical knowledge.

All in all, it was a great event. Hopefully we can have more of these in the future.

Regards,
Zhuge Liang

reneritchie
04-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Cool!

D@mn you all for doing it on the West Coast, but cool none the less. Hendrik is like a hyperactive enclyclopedia, I can't say I'm sorry I didn't get to hear him and Joy get knee or waist deep in Buddhism. What were the overlaps in Hendrik and Chung sifu's historical thoughts?

Sad that some of the others didn't show. Sad, but telling.

yuanfen
04-28-2003, 10:42 AM
I did show up and had a great time for two days(26th and 27th) including the good luncheon
luncheon gathering and followed by extended and large cross lineage visitation and chi sao gathering.
Met Ben Der and Ken Chun- both were warm and friendly to people from different lineages.
Besides their students of Leung Shun background, John Kang of Lo man Kam line was there with about 3 people as I recall.
The WT group from the Bay area were there. Their sifu had to teach a class but came back after their class was over. About 3 of CHris Chan's students were there.An ex student of Alan Lamb was there. An exstudent of Rob Lopez was there. Tom Parker who has done some Pan nam was there on the first day. Hendrik came for Sunday's event and interacted very well with everyone.Also- On the first day(Saturday) Henrik was a superb and gracious host to several of us
and we had great discussions and demos and going over the literature and pictures in some detail regarding White Crane, Emei
and Cho family materials. Hendrik definitely needs to write systematically when he has time.
The chi sao was definitely interesting and more- actually. You had to adjust to quite different approaches to chi sao. And talking about it is no substutute for doing it across lineages.
Steve and Sandy Wong were superb hosts during the chi sao keeping fresh fruit, water and drinks coming. Thanks to all specially to KJ for issuing the challenge to meet and John Weiland
for being a very gracious host and organizer pf many details.
I didnt see any HFY folks though the event was repeatedly announced. Didnt see RH.
There was an aggressive and barking chihuahua(sp?) who was busy a- trolling( a metabolic transformation) all afternoon....but didnt bite anyone to the best of my knowledge.
Great gathering without any ego flareups.

Zhuge Liang
04-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi Rene,

What were the overlaps in Hendrik and Chung sifu's historical thoughts?

I think the overlap mainly covered the era during the Boxer Rebellion (secret societies and such) and some specific details of Chinese Opera, with relation to the Red Boats. I can't really get into any details since a lot of it went over my head (I'm not as well versed in Chinese history as I should be). At least from what I observed Ken did seem open to the possibility that there may be a connection between Emei and Wing Chun, or at least White Crane and Wing Chun. Of course, this is all from a third person perspective and you'd have to talk to Ken to see what he thinks.

Regards,
Zhuge Liang

yylee
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
any photos?

tparkerkfo
04-28-2003, 11:17 AM
I arrived early for the meeting....a day early. I got my days mixed up. LOL. I was able to track down John, Joy, Hendrik, KJ, and a couple others. I don't want to "out" any one unless they want to. Anyways, it was a great opertunity to meet new people, Joy, and to visit with older fiends. We talked for hours discussing possible history theories as well as some other stuff. I got to be both Hendrik and Joy's personal dummy. I managed to avoid KJ's smackdown this year. LOL.

Joy was running on empty from lack of sleep, but was a gracious person and very interesting. I wish I had more time to visit. We introduced him into the SF way of doing wing chun. LOL. I wish I had more time to explore his wing chun as he showed us some great things. He is very quick and is very much to the point in his wing chun. Since it was mostly discussions based, I didn;t get to see much of his wing chun except towards the end.

I have meet Hendrik once before, but I had time to actualy discuss things with him in detail and see and feel much more Cho wing chun. he left an impression on me the first time I met him, but didn't get much from it. This weekend was much different. I am amazed at the similarities in his approach and what I have learned from Ken. The similarities are staggaring. However, there are many differences as well. Many of the similarities, I think, are simply a personal point of view to the style, and may not actually be the styles themselves. It seems to me Ken and Hendrik are on a similar wave length from arts with a similar background. Both systems focus on the femanine aspects of wing chun. Both use modern analogies to transmit their ideas. By this I mean they are not hindered by traditionalism. Both are concerned with excessive force and having to chase someone. The choices in how to deal with hands are very similar. Both have a tendency to RECEIVE what comes and a common trait is to press down rather than away. Many of the hands were similar. Though I do want to say there was some differences. I would loved to see Hendrik and Ken share notes. So far, Hendrik is the closest I have seen to Ken. I would love to hear more if any one could explain.

Wow, I can't beleive I missed the actual event. LOL

Tom
________
Ffm Vids (http://www.****tube.com/categories/19/ffm/videos/1)

Phenix
04-28-2003, 06:42 PM
It is real Fun to meet everyone. And, I learn alots from Ken, Joy, Steve, KJ, John, TOm,.... and all the younger siheng-dai.

Just Hope that I don't scare people and all the friends who playing with me with my out spoken and love to argue.

Hey I argue and I resist and I gumby and I love to break the rules.... who said WCK has to always to attact straight? Imagine if I am a female and has less force to against you....
Next meeting I will show you another type of Hendrik with Yee not with body... Ha Ha Ha. :D

Ken give me a wonderfull Audio Tape on The Opera which listern in my car to work today. Also, it is great of Ken To show me his subtle Jing method. Special Thanks to Ken.

As for KJ, she always beat me. Melady always kick me....:mad:

Rene,
Too bad there is SARS. Otherwise you should come down and learn the New San francisco style WCK from Joy!

reneritchie
04-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Hendrik, not aware of any SARS in MTL yet, but I'm gonna try to get to San Jose again for Sushi in the near future. Maybe we can solve the history of Taijiquan next??

John Weiland
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
I've been recovering all day from exhaustion in trying to keep up with KJ and Joy this past weekend. :)

The Wing Chun get together had over fifty folks attend with about half coming from all over creation. It began with brunch at 10:30 and we all enjoyed that, then about 12:30, we adjourned to Steve and Sandy's house for chi sao, good fellowship, and refreshments.

I would like to thank all who attended the get-together yesterday in San Jose. From the smiles that I saw, this event really satisfied a need for us to honor our art of Wing Chun by sharing it with each other. I have some additional thanks to extend.

Thank you Steve and Sandy Wong for letting us use your house and backyard for our party. Your generosity and hospitality is legendary.

Thanks to Ken Chung and Ben Der, my sigung and sifu, respectively, for their approval of this event and for Ken's attendance at the brunch.

Thanks to all who came a long distance, including Jim Hewitt (Allan
Lamb/Mike Nedemeyer) from Lake Tahoe, Tom Sakaishi (Chris Chan) from Sacramento, Lamine Barry and Sylvia Hsieh from
Boston, MA, Joy Chaudhuri (Augustine Fong) from Tempe, AZ, and Kathy Jo Connors from Rochester, NY.

Thanks to all who got the word out, with special thanks to John Kang/Aelward (Lo Man Kam) and Alan (Ken Chung) for their support and efforts in getting the word out.

Thanks to all who took pictures for getting them to me for posting when you can. :)

Thanks to all the teachers and senior students who came and shared, some of whom I've already noted, including Sifu Simon Mayer (WT), Hendrik Santo (Cho Family), Sifu Joy (Yuanfen), Steve and Sandy Wong, Vince Lee, Sifu Steve Jeung, Sifu Chris Boyd,
Sifu John Kang, Ken Trieu, and Joe Arcoraci.

And thanks to God for holding off the rain until late in the evening. :)

Photos are yet to come, but I'll let you know when and where they are when I receive them. :)

At least a partial list of attendees in no particular order follows:

Thomas Cuddeback, Melody Lacy, Tom Sakaishi (Chris Chan), John Schroeder, Eric Holtzclaw, Tony Martin, Steve Edwards, Yuki
Cruz, Carolyn Goeldner and her classmate Nick, Homi Chothia, Willard Owyeng, Jerome Braun, Yvonne Kerno, Carlos Sul, Angela Wu, and San Jose Wing Chun students Gary Hong, Eric Book and Irene, Simon, Matt Howard, Etay Nir, Rick Vargas, John Krzyzanski, Harry Who, and me, John Weiland. If I forget to
mention you or worse yet, didn't meet you there, I apologize for my oversight.

I hope to see you all again in the future at similar events. Please pass my regards to your siheng/dai if they are not members of KFO and they attended.

Regards,

yuanfen
04-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Hendrik sez:Rene,
Too bad there is SARS. Otherwise you should come down and learn the New San francisco style WCK from Joy!
------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Hendrik-
you will ruin what reputation I have left! Or is it right?
you will ruin my relationships with yim wing chun, michele yeoh,
ava gardner,marion and catherine zeta jones, kali, tara, quan yin
and others!
shakta/shakti, yin/yang- biu jee explores!
Specially when horizontal! Vertical too!
Apart from surangama there is kama.
lankavatara sez there are 108 ways!
joy

Phenix
04-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Hendrik, not aware of any SARS in MTL yet, but I'm gonna try to get to San Jose again for Sushi in the near future. Maybe we can solve the history of Taijiquan next??

Hey Rene,

I just heard today that anyone landed here from SEA has to be isolated for 10 days before can go to work. Certainly, that is great to be isolated 10days.

A, you can have as much sushi as you like
B, you can practice as much as you like
C, you can be alone to meditate as you like.
D, the company pay for the 10days vacation

I wish to get into that isolation. so we can write a book or finished the translation with company's pay isolation vacation. ha hahahaaha

Phenix
04-28-2003, 07:48 PM

Hey Hendrik-
you will ruin what reputation I have left! Or is it right?
you will ruin my relationships with yim wing chun, michele yeoh,
ava gardner,marion and catherine zeta jones, kali, tara, quan yin
and others!
shakta/shakti, yin/yang- biu jee explores!
Specially when horizontal! Vertical too!
Apart from surangama there is kama.
lankavatara sez there are 108 ways!
joy

Hey Joy,

one has to broke all rules and reputation before getting enlightement. ha hahaha.

After your last reputation is ruin. you become self-less. The highest in Chan!

yuanfen
04-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks John- I know how hard you worked to help make it possible. Greetings to your sifu- I enjoyed meeting him.
Again thanks to all organizing it and appreciation for all who came.
While wing chunners can be fractious- it was a great example of
sharing accross very different lineages- actually a model event
compared to across lineage non events in many martial arts.
Thanks to your personal and kung fu family family for the hospitality and putting up with all the intrusions.

So many different approaches to chi sao- attacks and controls.
In addition to the socialization --there was a lot of wing chun-
even though my elbow was wrong.<g>

joy

John Weiland
04-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks John- I know how hard you worked to help make it possible.

Hi Joy,

Oh oh, busted. Was it that obvious? I was coasting. :D

Greetings to your sifu- I enjoyed meeting him.
Again thanks to all organizing it and appreciation for all who came.

Thank you. I will pass your greetings on to Ben. He'll be sorry he missed out on the big gathering, but he was happy to meet you Saturday at practice. Getting together with you, Tom, and Hendrik was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. (Shame on any who misinterpret that remark). :rolleyes: KJ was there to chaperone if any doubt my innocent version of events. :) Actually, there was a fairly good showing of the distaff members of the Wing Chun family, and they showed once again that women are well able to do Wing Chun with the men.

While wing chunners can be fractious- it was a great example of
sharing accross very different lineages- actually a model event
compared to across lineage non events in many martial arts.

The formula was simple. Get the word out, meet and eat, and get together for comparisons after. :D We have a lot of great people studying Wing Chun across lineages.

Thanks to your personal and kung fu family family for the hospitality and putting up with all the intrusions.

The pleasure was ours to have you as a guest.

So many different approaches to chi sao- attacks and controls.
In addition to the socialization --there was a lot of wing chun-
even though my elbow was wrong.<g>

Thanks for showing me the anti-grappling and the jong. You seemed to have worked out with eveyone there. I'm proud to have you as my friend.

As for the elbow, somehow I overlooked it when you hit me. :D

dezhen2001
04-29-2003, 02:26 AM
sounds like it was a great success! Maybe if it becomes annual some day some of us folks form the uk could make it too (and once my skill is a lil better) :)

Really its great to see in these days of politics and all the angst happening.

well done guys and gals! a good example for us all!

dawood

kj
04-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
It is real Fun to meet everyone. And, I learn alots from Ken, Joy, Steve, KJ, John, TOm,.... and all the younger siheng-dai.

LOL. You are too nice. I believe I am the one who did most of the learning this weekend. :)

Just Hope that I don't scare people and all the friends who playing with me with my out spoken and love to argue.

Scared and argument has nothing to do with it. Sharing with friends says it best.

Next meeting I will show you another type of Hendrik with Yee not with body... Ha Ha Ha. :D

Now I get nervous. Of course I will still look forward with anticipation, LOL.

As for KJ, she always beat me.

LOL, I don't think so. You hide too well, you old softy you, and your receiving energy suckers me in far too easily. You know I will be working on that. ;) It was great working out with you, and the time went so fast.

Melady always kick me....:mad:

LOL - she is heck with that one good leg, huh. Can you imagine with two good legs?? :eek:

Till we meet again, enjoy the ocean breezes, Hendrik.

~~~

Joy, you are in good company ... my elbow isn't in right position either, and I have a few other things out of whack too, LOL. ;)

~~~

Roger - sorry to have missed you; maybe next time.

~~~

dezhen2001, perhaps we can plan to do it again next year if you're planning to attend. (hint, hint)

~~~

To all who attended, from near and far - Many Thanks!!. What an unbelievable turn out. I am so grateful for all the hands to work with, and awed at the positive energy from so many and diverse individuals and groups. A watershed event. :)

Sorry for the quick hit and run. I'll check in more when I return home next week. Hoping y'all fight nicely in the meantime. ;)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

reneritchie
04-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Okay, feeling disappointment that I wasn't there... jealousy... now some anger at them picking the west coast. Now isolation, paranoia, extreme rage... and some fleeting hope for next year...

KJ, please pound on Hendrik more next time, he likes proof of the "lady's" art. 8)

tparkerkfo
04-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi Rene,

Well, you can look forward to dispare followed by denial then by avoidance. Sooner or later you will come to terms with it, but you will probably never fully recover and adjust.

My advice, make it out to the next one or you will be severly and irreversiably tramatized for life!

Tom
________
Upskirt Oops (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1124/oops/videos/1)

yuanfen
04-30-2003, 03:44 PM
Rene sez:
he likes proof of the "lady's" art
----------------------------------------------------------------

Both Kathy Jo and another lady really jammed people as soon as they moved. Solid yet mobile positioning....very frequently apparently in their approach...

John Weiland
04-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
sounds like it was a great success! Maybe if it becomes annual some day some of us folks form the uk could make it too (and once my skill is a lil better) :)

I think it might take me about a year to recover. :D My sifu, Ben Der, gave me permission to do it again next year. You coming? :cool:

With so much time to plan, it should be easy to accomodate as many, if not more, folks the next time.

Really its great to see in these days of politics and all the angst happening.

It really is quite remarkable. The sharing and learning was great, and the atmosphere of support for all things Wing Chun might lead to even more resurgance of interest across the spectrum of lineages. It's the kind of event that even people with past experience or new to Wing Chun might come and feel comfortable gaining the exposure to varieties of approaches. There are plenty of potential students out there, so we should not need to feel competitive about recruiting them when just promoting Wing Chun in the community will bring up the potential numbers.

well done guys and gals! a good example for us all!

dawood
It is much easier to remain cordial in discussions when you are in the presence of other persons, so sharing ideas and beliefs go more smoothly than in this medium.

Actually, we hope to do this sort of cross-lineage gathering regularly. Sifu John Kang (Aelward) has been instrumental in our outreach, bringing in many of his friends and contacts in other schools.

Regards,

John Weiland
04-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Cool!

Hi Rene,

D@mn you all for doing it on the West Coast, but cool none the less. Hendrik is like a hyperactive enclyclopedia, I can't say I'm sorry I didn't get to hear him and Joy get knee or waist deep in Buddhism. What were the overlaps in Hendrik and Chung sifu's historical thoughts?

You were right about Hendrik talking like he writes with lots of humor. Actually, the levels of Buddhism reached even higher. :p

We were lucky to have Joy along for validation, which just reinforces the solid premise of Hendrik's contentions. ****, and I've been saying I thought we came from Shaolin. I don't believe that anymore. :o

Sad that some of the others didn't show. Sad, but telling.
Too bad about the no-shows. Their loss. No surprise there.

Hendrik was a delight and complete surprise to me. Not at all what I had expected. I had expected his insights into history to be profound given his background, but his Wing Chun was especially interesting to me, soft, powerful, and gumby-like. :D

His joking kept the conversations light, just like his stylistic approach to Wing Chun. No one I saw could do much more than touch him essentially, and that rarely; he'd disappear too easily. As for the Yi of his Wing Chun, I'm looking forward to seeing that the next time.

His theories of Wing Chun origins linking it back to White Crane sound entirely believable to me. His documention is very convincing. While it is not proven, he may have enough to convince true historians to review the historical basis. Sounds like a possible doctoral thesis for some aspiring bright lad or lass. :D

If you haven't gotten the reference to San Francisco Wing Chun, it's a comparison it to two persons getting very close, a subject brought in by Hendrik's friends back home teasing him about his home's proximity to SF. It's a bit crude in terms of imagery, but it's said in humor, of course. :) Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

yuanfen
05-01-2003, 10:24 AM
John: Close encounters of a third kind plays well outside of SF
in the wing chun world.!

dezhen2001
05-01-2003, 10:58 AM
john and kj: would love to come over sometime! But it all depends on university as well as $$$ :) who knows - maybe we could organise one for us uk people :p

dawood

John Weiland
05-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
john and kj: would love to come over sometime! But it all depends on university as well as $$$ :) who knows - maybe we could organise one for us uk people :p

dawood
You'd be very welcome in San Jose if you managed the trip.

The formula was simple. Get the word out, meet and eat, and get together for comparisons of each others' Wing Chun afterward.

The hardest part is finding a large, preferably free place to meet. I think the fact that it is free of charge gives the gathering a different feeling from paid seminars and such.

If you have the time, start a thread and see what happens. With all the Wing Chun in the U.K., there must be a lot of folks who would attend. Likely none would have to travel as far as Joy and KJ did. :D

All the best,

kj
05-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Here are links to a couple of photos from the April 27th Gathering. John and I are both experiencing problems with direct attachments for some reason.

Joy, Hendrik & Kathy Jo (http://home.rochester.rr.com/beacons/images/Joy_KJ_Hendrik-18.jpg)

Hendrik and Ken (http://home.rochester.rr.com/beacons/images/Hendrik_Ken_Steve-4.jpg)

Hopefully those guys won't mind me posting them (but I'm sure they'll let me know if they do, LOL). People took quite a lot of "work out" photos too.

Regards,
- kj