PDA

View Full Version : how to strengthen wrists?

inic
02-03-2003, 11:26 AM
I was armwrestling my roommate last night, a skinny 135lbs chinese 30 yr old guy. He was saying that no one beat him at armwrestling, so i figured i'd prove him wrong...
my biceps are twice his size and i know are stronger, because i do more pullups and curl more than him. our forearms are about the same. he kept beating me with right hand, but we were stalemate with left hand.
i noticed that his wrist is a lot bigger and muscular than mine... just wondering how to you strengthen the wrist. NOT FOREARM, the actual wrist... like i said, my bicep are stronger, our forearms are equal, but his wriststrength is definetly superior...
any suggestions?
and i want wrist exercises! so far, everyone has just told me forearm exercises

Losttrak
02-03-2003, 11:52 AM
I can imagine some of the responses you are gonna get for this one... I will try to keep the bar high. Wrist curls... pronated and supinated. Thats it all ya need.

rubthebuddha
02-03-2003, 01:59 PM
wing chun huen sau

Lung Hu Pai
02-03-2003, 03:50 PM
plate curls and sledgehammer levering are solid wrist strengthening exercises. also, if you have good technique in armwrestling, then brawn really won't matter as much.

WinterPalm
02-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Leverage bar.

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 04:50 PM
You really asked that?

:eek:

Wait....here they come.

45degree fist
02-03-2003, 05:32 PM
hold a pole at one end. with your hand at your side hip level. now lift the opposite end of your pole using only your wrist. Lift to eye level then back down not letteing the end touch the ground. You may need to choke up at first but the strength will come.

SirenOfAcreLane
02-03-2003, 06:28 PM
I use an exercise that strenthens both your wrist AND your forearm. You can't go wrong.

I take a small length of broomhandle(about 30"), and drill a hole though it.. I feed through some very strong rope, and tie 42kg's of weights to the other end. I then hold the bar in the middle, in both hands, and use a motion similer to revving a motorcycle, to gradually twist the bar, making the rope shorter, lifting the weight to the top. Then i reverse the wrist motion, and do it all again.

It's the best wrist workout i know. Well, at least the best one you can do in public

TaoBoy
02-03-2003, 08:36 PM
These are actually sensible, effective answers.

I'm suitably impressed.

:)

rubthebuddha
02-03-2003, 11:13 PM
taoboy,

left to our own "devices," we're actually pretty upstanding folk.

and i'll second that "motorcycle rev" exercise. that's about as fantastic as you can get for what you're looking for.

IronFist
02-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Hey buddy,

I'm not an expert on arm wrestling, but I'm not so sure that it relies that much on biceps strength. After all, you're not really pulling anything toward you, are you. I think it's more your shoulder rotating inward. I mean, biceps are involved, but not as much as they are in doing pullups and curls.

If you're going to be one of those cheap people that curls your wrist down and over top of the your opponent, then you need strong forearms for this, specifically the bottom of your forarms, cuz that's where the muscles that pull your palm down are. I don't know if this technique is considered cheap or not, but I hate it when people do it to me :D

Have you ever reverse arm wrestled? Instead of palm to palm, do it back of hand to back of hand. It's hard to get your arm all the way down to the table that way, but it's still an interesting challenge.

Good luck. I don't know anything about arm wrestling, really, other than the fact that I suck at it.

Maybe you can gain an advantage by tensing your other muscles as well and generating more tension. Actively engage your biceps and triceps. Tense your non-working arm as hard as you can, flex your abs, etc. If it's close, every little bit will help. It's like how flexing your abs allows you to bench a little bit more.

And if all else fails, challenge him to a pullup contest.

IronFist

ElPietro
02-04-2003, 08:18 AM
I don't believe there are any "wrist muscles" per say. It is a joint, and it is moved through the flexion and extension of the forearm which is where the point of attachment is. Wrist curls and reverse wrist curls work the forearms, so this would stand to reason. He may have had bigger wrists than you, but it was probably just him being bigger boned there than you.

Lung Hu Pai
02-04-2003, 09:34 AM
here are a couple of links i have about armwrestling, i found them pretty helpful:

http://www.eiyc.com/

http://www.armwrestling.com/jbrzenk2.html

cogg
02-04-2003, 04:37 PM
I'd go with SOAL and the wrist roller. you can always add new weight and it gives your wrists and forearms a thorough workout....believe!!!!

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Wrist curls are great for your forearms too.

Mr. Bao
02-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Try rock climbling free style without ropes;just with your hands and feet as support. I did this in the summer with a fellow friend in nyc on the cliff near the hudson river and I swear I thought I would **** in my pants. I remember my forearms were sore as hell and my hands. I couldn't hold my chop sticks.

Try punching with your bares hands on dead cows like in the butcher's market. Do two three min rounds and I promise your wrist and forearm will be like steal. I personally tried it at the meat market which I know the butcher pretty well, but now he is retired. I thought it was cool like in rocky. Make no mistake, it made my arms and hands stink like crap for a couple of hours even tho I cleaned it. BTW, you will not going to make that dead cow rock back and forth like Rocky. The dead cows are pretty hard, cold, and really heavy.