PDA

View Full Version : Garlic (etc) and qigong

yenhoi
02-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Is there any concerns with taking my vitamins first thing in the morning before I do any sort of qigong?

Specifically garlic, cause my insides heatup after taking garlic for a little while.. etc.

Tks.

:eek:

Repulsive Monkey
02-05-2003, 03:18 AM
Depends what vitamins they are some have a cooling effect and some have a warming effect. This is the Chinese perspective on food energetics and therefore regardless of the effect of the vitamin in the western sense they could produce heat upon the heat created by the Qi-gong. This maybe ok and only produce a little extra sweat, however, if you already have a Yin Xu condition(an empty heat condition where there is too much heat in the body already) then it could tip the scales to generating too much heat and damaging the organs.

yenhoi
02-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Tks!

prana
02-05-2003, 02:38 PM
From my limited meditational experience, when eating garlics or onions, the energy in the lower centers are much more ... whats the word.... not calm, hence makes for difficult concentration. But that could just be me :)

yenhoi
02-05-2003, 11:19 PM
I saw your thread on that awhile ago.

What did you do about it? Not use any garlic or onions or just use it after ?

prana
02-06-2003, 04:12 PM
nar I continue to eat whatever there is. Cant be too picky being a householder/lay person :)

I havent realised enough to realise wether it is "all good" or "all bad".... just that it makes it harder to concentrate

woliveri
02-10-2003, 12:52 PM
My teacher says that for everyday people, garlic and onions are fine. In fact, they are healing. However, for those seeking a greater spiritual path they cause a negative effect which makes meditation difficult.

Same as Prana's response.

harry_the_monk
02-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi there,

As has been discussed by my friends RM and Prana (hello guys).

I find that onions and garlic can be a distraction. Especially the heat aspect( I also am not realised enough to notice the complete effects of garlic elsewhere). I also find that spring onions and chives also tend to be less 'heat' causing but still have flavour.

I used to use a lot of garlic in my cooking, but now tend to use very little. I have noticed a difference. I tend to use onions very sparingly if at all.

I try not to be fanatical about anything however and if it is there will eat it. Just as with the meat, I will not eat it or buy it normally, however if someone was to offer me something with meat in it I would accept it. The Sakyamuni Buddha said that it is ok in those circumstances... whoops, gone completely off subject there...LOL

I guess from my experience of Qi-gong I would say that as long as the qi doesn't have to work hard in the stomach to clear it, its not a problem. On the other hand you don't want your mind constantly drawn to the vitamins slow passage down your intestines.

Hope thats of help. I speak from limited experience though.

Repulsive Monkey
02-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Nicely stated there.

sapphire tygre
02-18-2003, 03:26 AM
A while back I was eating garlic every day. A lot of garlic. It definitely had an effect on my emotions. And in my case not good for quiet meditation. But hey, people are different.

Repulsive Monkey
02-18-2003, 05:05 AM
Well Garlics can be uqite stimulating and from Chinese food energetics its energy rises in the body thus affecting and sometimes unbalancing the shen of the heart and the placidity of the mind.
Plus if someone already has either shen imbalance or heart blood deficiency then these kind of stimulating foods will have a bigger effect hence some people being effected by it more so than others.

sapphire tygre
02-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Shen imbalance? I found that oil was very heating too. Heres a heating combo.... garlic, onions, beer, sauteed in a pan. With sausage or whatever. It seems to give heat energy.

GeneChing
02-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Soem Buddhists don't eat garlic because it's so unsettling. There are five spices they avoid - garlic, onions, chives, peppers and something else. According to legend, it was one of the reasons that the first Tang emperor permitted Shaolin warrior monks to eat meat and drink wine - one of them had eaten an onion prior to the emperor's congradulatory banquet and was doing penance. The emperor realized he had prepared meat, then revoked their Buddhist ban by imperial decree to save face. But its only a legend.

Nevertheless, some Buddhist sects still forbide garlic et.al. I've heard several qigong masters state that qigong should be done on an empty stomach. My current qigong teacher always says that we cannot eat or drink for half an hour following our practice. He's very into the time of day and doesn't drink water after lunch.