PDA

View Full Version : The Heart of a Lion can't go far on the Legs of a Chicken - Foundations!

BearBear
02-04-2003, 12:08 AM
I am wondering if anyone would like share some of the foundation training, methods, exercises and theories of their art.

methods to develop the various attributes of balance, stability, speed, strength, power, relaxation, flow etc etc

the "Gongs" if u will. the foundations and "guts" of ur skills techniques

maybe an exchange fo difference exercises and drills etc..

just an idea

thanks

BearBear

mantis108
02-04-2003, 11:48 AM
First off, I think this is a great idea in sharing exercises and drills but there are just so many of them. While some are common, there are style specific stuff too. So it isn't going to be easy. Having said that, I believe as long as they are Mantis oriented exercises and drills that can function together seemlessly. For example, a mirror drill such as "Wind blows at the back of the brain" in CCK TCPM (also great hand-eye coordination, timing, cardio, etc...) can be link together with Tainan Mantis' style's Shadow drill "Black Tiger Steal heart" which again is great for hand-eye coordination, timing, impact, etc... Together, they form some kind of a flow drill. I suppose Mantis drills are techniques based, so there is no problem in linking than together despite of styles. Btw, the above mentioned drills are both solo and 2 men.

Mantis108

BearBear
02-05-2003, 02:40 AM
Hi.

could u describe those 2 drills or the one you know?

also I saw some tai chi tong long many many years ago and if i remmeber correctly part of the systems is extreme iron body skills to be able to take strikes.. can u explain and describe some of the methods that TCTL use to develop this aspect of their system. I think their was even a concept called trade off theory, trade taking a hit to KILL!

perhaps once a week could be different "areas" since as u sound its such a broad topic.. eg " 'body toughening skills' = how do u/ur system develop it, theories of it." etc etc

thanks...

take care all

BearBear

mantis108
02-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi Bearbear,

I think we have a few threads about mantis drills on my forum in the technique expose folder. As for the Pai Da Kung, we also have discussion on it also. Please click on the link provided in my signature below. I think the 2 drills that I mentioned are in there as well. Hope you find what you are looking for in there.

Mantis108

BearBear
02-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Hey mantis108

Thanks.. will check it out.

:)

BearBear

BeiTangLang
02-18-2003, 09:19 AM
I believe that one of the most usable & important things to fighting in )any_ MA is footwork. I am very glad you brought this to the forums attention.
I know many have said in the past that one is better than the other, faster, more efficient, etc., but the idea I see as most important is; If you learn the footwork of your own style, everything (punching,kicking,evasion) will work better.
As far as drills & such, its hard to transfer this over the "written" net. So if anyone has clips of their work, this would be optimal.
Best Wishes to all,
~BTL

Shadowboxer
02-21-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm in Sifu's Wing Chun class in Ft. Worth. I have a digital video camera and editing capabilities, if you ever feel like filming something and posting it on the net, please let me know.

Shadowboxer

BeiTangLang
02-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I have this capability myself. I just don't like being on film of any kind.
Thanks for the offer though.
~BTL

yu shan
02-21-2003, 11:12 PM
This needs to be taught by your Shrfu. I condone the unfortunate.True Martial Arts cannot be taught on KFO, you need a Teacher. Use KFO as an information tool, and to make friends!