PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix-Eye Fist in competition

Lowlynobody
02-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Has anyone ever seen the phoenix-eye fist used in UFC or any other MMA-type competitions? Or in any competition for that matter?

Thanks

Lowlynobody

Merryprankster
02-04-2003, 04:42 AM
I haven't ID'd one. Of course, I wouldn't know what to look for. It would be legal in either Pride or UFC as far as I know.

Oso
02-04-2003, 05:54 AM
MP

It would be a single knuckle strike.

I've seen it as either the middle knuckle
or the index knuckle slightly extended
so that it is still supported by the thumb
and other fingers.

matt

Sho
02-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Pretty difficult to spot it in action imo.

Lowlynobody
02-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Well I've heard tell of presure point guys going into NHB and getting their ass kicked. Anybody seen those fights? Did they attempt to use the phoenix-eye-fist?

Merryprankster you can see what a phoenix-eye looks like in the clips on this site - Here (http://www.yaukungmun.com.au/technique_workshop.htm). Now that you have seen it. Would it be legal?

Lowlynobody.

Fred Sanford
02-04-2003, 09:41 PM
Well I've heard tell of presure point guys going into NHB and getting their ass kicked. Anybody seen those fights? Did they attempt to use the phoenix-eye-fist?

a phoenix-eye isn't just meant to hit "pressure points". Someone who has conditioned their hand to use a phoenix-eye can blast their opponent pretty much wherever. The "secret" is in the fact that all of your force is focused onto a small point. Conditioning of the hands is a key factor in being able to use it effectively.

SevenStar
02-04-2003, 09:51 PM
It would be allowed, but I've never seen it used. The only time I would really reccomend using it in mma is on the ground, and the CMA guys that have entered the big comps so far are dominated once they hit the ground.

Fred Sanford
02-04-2003, 10:02 PM
I use phoenix-eyes all the time while wearing hand wraps and 16oz boxing gloves, they work great.

Lowlynobody
02-05-2003, 03:28 AM
I use phoenix-eyes all the time while wearing hand wraps and 16oz boxing gloves, they work great.

Why would you bother to make a phoenix-eye fist with gloves on? Just curious.

The only time I would really recommend using it in mma is on the ground, and the CMA guys that have entered the big comps so far are dominated once they hit the ground.

I was actually thinking of its application while on the ground. Especially with someone either in or trying to get a mount. I'm not talking striking. More like placing it under the arm, to the side of the Pectoral and between the ribs and using a cork-screw motion to press in and cause pain. Or some other point on the body where that sort of technique would cause pain and the person to draw away. Allowing you to follow and to continue to press.

What do you experienced grapplers think?

a phoenix-eye isn't just meant to hit "pressure points". Someone who has conditioned their hand to use a phoenix-eye can blast their opponent pretty much wherever. The "secret" is in the fact that all of your force is focused onto a small point. Conditioning of the hands is a key factor in being able to use it effectively.

I agree with you totally.

Lowlynobody.

Merryprankster
02-05-2003, 04:12 AM
Pain is annoying. That's it, and that's all it will ever be. There is a big difference between pain from damage and being uncomfortable. When grappling, you are often uncomfortable. That's just the way it is. Using a phoenix-eye the way you are thinking of doing is basically a waste of time because it just makes the recipient uncomfortable. I won't stop what I'm doing because I'm uncomfortable. You have to physically prevent me from whatever it is I'm doing. A minor annoyance like you describe won't do it.

Lowlynobody
02-05-2003, 04:36 AM
There is a big difference between pain from damage and being uncomfortable........I won't stop what I'm doing because I'm uncomfortable. You have to physically prevent me from whatever it is I'm doing. A minor annoyance like you describe won't do it.

A very valid point.

I'll give you an example of why I think it could work - someone who has a strong claw can grip the wrist in such a way that the persons legs go weak and bend. Now there is no way the small amount of pain from that grip could cause the person to go weak at the knees. I've had people who clawed me near the wrist and left finger-print brusing. The pain from that wasn't enough to make me react in any way. But other people with a grip probably less strong have clawed at the right part of my wrist and my legs went weak.

Now I'm not sure what you think of "presure points" or nerve striking or what have you. But if the cork-screw of a phoenix-eye is attacking one of your organs your body will naturaly try to stop what is happening. Kind of like pulling away from a hot element or an eletric shock. So I'm saying that the attack is actualy causing you damage and thus physically preventing you from what you are doing.

Not sure if that made sense. But there it is.

Lowlynobody.

Merryprankster
02-05-2003, 04:45 AM
I can only respond "Find somebody who knows what they are doing, try it, and see."

Lowlynobody
02-05-2003, 04:54 AM
That's fair enough.