View Full Version : Basic Shaolin Kung Fu

CJ Max
01-15-2001, 07:27 PM
Does anyone here know Shaolin Kung Fu?

CJ Max

Kung Lek
01-15-2001, 08:54 PM
Hi-

There are many of us here on the forum that are active practitioners of a variety of styles of Chinese Martial Arts.

The kung fu systems I am being given are all from Shaolin.

peace

Kung Lek

GregD
01-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Shaolin is pretty vast....and i dont think too many people can really practice the ENTIRE system.

there are three main schools on kung fu....shoalin, wudang, and omei. each of those is subdivided into smaller systems....

for example...i train in shoaling long fist ....but there are people who train in shoalin 5 animal style...

so, does anyone do shaoling here...yes!...but what kind :cool:

GregD
01-15-2001, 09:08 PM
i just realized i spelled shaolin as "shoaling" twice in my last post!.....

those were typos...i know how to spell...really :)

yamato_damashii
01-16-2001, 09:43 AM
Greg is correct. There is not a SINGLE system recognized as "THE Shaolin kung fu". This is partly due to the fact that the Shaolin monks were constantly learning and creating new styles, and partly due to geneological difficulties caused by the destruction of the Temple.
Probably the most recognized are Northern Shaolin (due to the Temple's location) and Shaolin Five Animals.

Jason C. Diederich

http://www.geocities.com/shaolinninjamarine/

YoungForest
01-24-2001, 09:07 PM
I think what he meant was a general question. Like do you practice TKD or Karate....many differnet styles, but in general.

I practice the 5 animal system of shoalin kung fu. Very interesting system.

Gargoyle again
01-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Excellent, a fellow five animaler :) Where do you study JigGa?

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
--Willie Wonka

shaolin dragon
01-31-2001, 09:04 PM
i study shaolin kung fu. it is a challenge. i am at the usa shaolin temple in houston texas. my masters are shi de shan and shi xing hao of the shaolin temple.

Shaolin Master
02-01-2001, 02:22 AM
Shaolin Dragon

Hi, So what are you learning at the moment ?
And what are your teachers specialties amongst the realm of Songshan shaolin martial arts ?

Greetings and Regards

Shi Chan Long

shaolin dragon
02-04-2001, 08:08 PM
shaolin master

right now we are currently learning the dragon form. since i am considered a new comer, i am not really allowed to learn this form, but rather to observe and kind of get the hang of it until next time around when i am able to learn this form. as for me, i have mastered about two forms. the third form is shaolin tran. i'm not sure if that's how you spell it. i have learned that form, but not to the point of mastery. i know other forms as well but only half of them. when i've mastered this form i will go on to continue learning the plum flower form, which they said was the form the monks used to defend the shaolin temple.

who is your master or masters

Shaolin Master
02-05-2001, 01:07 AM
Shi De Gen

02-05-2001, 09:26 PM
Shaolin Dragon -

I just wanted to say hi - I also study at the Houston Shaolin Temple school, but I think I have been there a little longer than you have. Excuse me for cutting in on your conversation with Shaolin Master. You mentioned that you are learning a form but that you don't know the spelling of the name. Have you finished Shao Hong Quan yet? What about Tong Bei Quan? I'm still working on Mei Hua Quan (Plum Blossom) and just learned the moves to Pao Quan last week. It needs lots of work! See you in class -

Shaolin Master -

I noticed your post to Shaolin Dragon asking what our masters' specialities are. Rumors to the contrary, we don't merely study contemporary wushu. The masters offer it to interested students, but their focus is on traditional forms - see remarks to Shaolin Dragon above. Shi De Shan, the school's "Da Shifu," also specializes in hard qi gong and san da. I would be interested in hearing about your school and your training if you care to comment.

Shaolin Master
02-06-2001, 02:08 AM
Shaolin Dragon -
Xiao Hong Quan, Tong Bi Quan & Mei Hua Quan

I meant Specialties in the sense of skill (gung) and art (eg Pao Quan or Jing Gang Quan), I know it is not Wushu no need to specify that. All teachers have favourites/specialties thus I choose Chang Hu XIn Yi Men Quan, Jing Gang Quan and a variety of Pao Quan.

Our school teaches the general Tao Lu (Xiao/Da Hong Quan, Lohan Quan, Chang Hu Xin Yi Men Quan, Tong Bi Quan, Pao Quan (5 Routine), Wu He Quan (5 Routines), Jing Gang Quan (12 Routines), Kan Jia QUan, Wu Zi Quan...etc....
Gung emphasises the selected ones according to the student or level, from Rou Gung, Lohan Gung, to Tie Sha Zhang, Pi Bei Gung, TangLang Gung, Er Jie Gung, etc...
The Lohan San Da, La Shou etc are also trained amongst those other combat methods including Long Hu Shuang Chu Zhuang etc...
Weapons and the rest as well ......
Typical I guess :)

Shaolin Temple
02-08-2001, 07:35 AM
What does 'Kung Fu' mean?
Like many other terms used in connection with the
Martial Arts today, the term 'Kung fu' is often mis-applied. Translated literally, kung fu means 'excellence through hard work' or 'skilled achievement'. Therefore one could be said to display 'kung fu' at cooking or at computer programming.

There is nothing inherently martial about the term, but in the 1950s, the Hong Kong film industry started using the two characters 'Kung Fu' for their martial arts action movies and the phrase has been closely associated with Chinese Martial Arts ever since - particularly in the West.

Professionals refer to the practice of Chinese martial arts as 'Wu Kung' or 'Wu Shu' which connote the specific martial (Wu) development of skill (Kung) or art (Shu).

What's the difference between Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and Karate/Judo/Taekwondo?

Chinese martial arts were formalised over two thousand years ago, and were developed primarily by Buddhist and Taoist monks. Thus, the Chinese are universally acknowledged to have have the oldest, best-proven systems - almost all other legitimate systems will acknowledge the debt they owe to the Chinese systems, which spread throughout Asia. Methods such as Karate, Judo or Taekwondo were developed hundreds of years after the formalisation of the Chinese systems, and as such, owed much of their development to Chinese martial arts systems - Karate, as first taught by Southern Chinese monks and practised on Okinawa, was originally called 'Tang Te' which translates as 'Chinese Hand'. The characters were later changed to 'Kara Te' ('Empty Hand') during a period of strong Japanese nationalism.

What are Traditional Chinese Martial Arts?

In Chinese culture, there are the so-called 'five excellences.' These are: Calligraphy, Poetry,
Painting, Music and Martial Arts. The objective in mastering any of these arts is to achieve a state
of calmness and equilibrium which the Chinese refer to as 'enlightenment'.

Mastery of any of the excellences would grant this state of peace and balance; traditional martial arts grant further benefits as well - health, fitness and the ability to defend one's self or others.

In trying to understand these arts, it is important to realise that in China, they were developed primarily by Buddhist and Taoist monks whose goal was to prolong their lives. The key for these aesthetes was to enrich themselves spiritually - self-defence was of secondary concern. However, when monks were sent out from the temples to gather alms, the harsh reality of having to defend themselves arose and the techniques that they had developed and practised purely for health reasons had to be adapted to deal with the threats of the outside world.

The systems that these holy men developed spread throughout China and across Asia, some being
adapted for purely combative use, some strictly for health development, some for theatrical
performance while others retained the essence of the original arts - to prolong and enrich the life of the practitioner, with the added benefit of providing an effective system of self-defence, should the need arise.

What's the difference between Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and Kick-boxing?

Kick-boxing is a sport. It's all about scoring points in competition 'fighting' where there are a clear set of rules, gloves, pads and a referee to control things. Traditional Shaolin training is not concerned with competitions of this nature. The techniques as taught are given to deal with real life situations where there are no rules and no referee to step in and save your life! Traditional techniques were developed to save lives under the most extreme circumstances - no really conclusive test is possible between students of traditional Shaolin, unless they choose to get involved in a all-out, real fight since Shaolin techniques are inherently dangerous and do not lend themselves to control measures.

One Shaolin Master recently wrote: "Shaolin in its orthodox form, is not a game to be played for the
entertainment of an audience or the whims of sports-minded exponents. Although there have been
competitions between Shaolin experts, none of these have proven satisfactory to orthodox
practitioners."