PDA

View Full Version : jumping techniques??

mtod1
02-04-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi all.

I was just wondering whether there are any jumping or flying techniques in WC. So far in my WC training I haven't come across anything... although a lot of people like to throw in the odd bit of TKD jumping kicks.

Anyway, my questions is: why aren't there any jumping techniques in WC. Particularly jumping/punching or jumping/blocking techniques.

p.s does anyone from another style have jumping punches/blocks?

Thanx guys/gals
Seeya

[Censored]
02-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Anyway, my questions is: why aren't there any jumping techniques in WC.

My question is, what deficiency in the Wing Chun skill would be solved by adding a jump? :)

kj
02-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Hi Mod1.

I see that you are relatively new to Wing Chun. To me, the question is why would you want to fly or jump? :confused:

One of the most obvious dilemmas with an aerial approach is that it severely interferes with one's stability, posture, structure and root. In my family-group of Wing Chun there is a saying that "energy comes from the floor." A bit metaphorical perhaps, but it appropriately emphasizes the importance of utilizing a good connection to the earth. No connection = big problems in Wing Chun, at least against anyone worth their salt.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding what's wrong with flying and jumping in Wing Chun. ;)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Wingman
02-04-2003, 07:34 PM
In the dummy form, there is a movement wherein your arms are holding/clinging on one of the dummy's arms; and then you do a small hop & kick. But in real application, it is not really a hop & kick. Your whole body weight is pressing down on your opponent when you kick. The hop & kick in the dummy form expresses the idea of using your body weight against your opponent when you kick. Since the dummy is immobile, the WC practitioner hops.

TjD
02-04-2003, 08:18 PM
care to describe this motion better? we dont have anything resembling this in our wooden dummy form. whats your lineage?

Sam
02-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen has light skills training and Hei kung.
Grand Master Leung Chi Man was famous for his light skills and was able to leap high from a standing position. James Cama Sifu teaches these skills. A picture of one of his beginer student practicing a standing jump under conditioning and internal training:http://www.geocities.com/wingchunbuddhahand/CONDITIONING.html
Light skills was important in ancient times in order to evade weapons and escape grappling.

Wingman
02-04-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TjD
care to describe this motion better? we dont have anything resembling this in our wooden dummy form. whats your lineage?

First of all, I'm not from Yip Man lineage. Our dummy form is composed of 3 parts. Part 1 is mostly hand techniques; Part 2 have kicking techniques; Part 3 glass body techniques. Don't ask me about glass body techniques 'coz I'm not there yet:) .

Anyway, the movement I was describing above is in Part 2 of the dummy form. I'll try to describe them as best I can. Pardon me if my explanation is not clear; because I don't know the names of some of the techniques. Here goes....

1. left bong sao on the inside right dummy arm; your right arm is doing wu sao.
2. Step to the side (of the dummy) and turn. left leg kicks dummy's foot. At the same time, left bong sao becomes a tan sao, then a lop sao (grab) on the outside of the right dummy arm. The wu sao becomes a chum sao on the dummy's "elbow".
3. Left leg kicks dummy's knee or body (depends on how high you can kick). When you kick, you do a small hop because both your arms are pressing down on the right dummy arm; and the dummy will not go down even if all your body weight is pressing down on its right arm.

Hope that helps...:)

Mckind13
02-05-2003, 12:09 AM
I think there may be some Wing Chun that has a hoping kick.

Golden **** or something :P

David

Mr.Binx
02-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Mckind13
I think there may be some Wing Chun that has a hoping kick.

Ah the hoping kick... This is a kick that doesn't think it's gonna' make it but if you believe strong enough it might just make it!
(I know it's a typo but I couldn't resist) :D

Mckind13
02-05-2003, 10:55 AM
thanx!
:D