PDA

View Full Version : Tui Shou question.

Laughing Cow
02-05-2003, 12:48 AM
Hi All.

Just a quick Push hands question.

How many people also do Push knees and similar during their Tui shou practice?

ie. use the knee to upset the partners balance and so on.

Just curious, it is taught in my style, but I haven't heard many people talking about this aspect of the art.

Prairie
02-06-2003, 12:20 PM
it's not been practiced (that I know of) specifically but it does go on as a part of regular tui shou.

patriot
02-06-2003, 12:52 PM
It is a standard practise in Chen Style.

Laughing Cow
02-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks, for the replies so far.

I haven't heard many People besides Chen stylists mention it.

I had an opportunity to play some Tui Shou with a bunch of Wu & Yang Guang Ping Guys and was wondering about it.

Walter Joyce
02-06-2003, 02:29 PM
I'd venture that you won't see it outside of Chen. The mechanics of Chen require the figure eight patern with the knees as a result of the spirals inherent in practicing chan ssu jin, so applying these same patterns in tui shou is a natural extension of your solo practice. You won't find similar leg work in either Yang or Wu, at least none of the Yang and wu stylists I've ever seen.

taijiquan_student
02-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Yes, we've been known to do that (yang style), but I wouldn't say it's a major thing, or something we do a lot. It's probably much more frequently used in Chen style, from what people have said.

Scythe
02-07-2003, 03:23 AM
We practice sticking legs and often use them to upset the balance of the other party.

Shooter
02-07-2003, 09:09 AM
In my time training Yang's, we did lots of chan-ssu-chin with the legs and as much chi-gurk (sticky legs) as any other type of isolated training drill. They were actually the first things I was shown for applying TCC's rotation and extension principles. It only made good sense...

Walter Joyce
02-07-2003, 09:51 AM
I stand corrected. I can say that I never saw it at Chu Gin Soon's school in Boston, nor did they ever do any chan ssu jin.