PDA

View Full Version : Question on Boxing... Different styles?

Kinjit
02-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Is western boxing taught pretty much the same in gyms all over the world, or are there any stylistic differences worth mentioning?

ShaolinTiger00
02-05-2003, 05:18 PM
Yes. There are distinct "flavors" or syles to boxing and body types, nationalities, levels of aggression etc. are all factors.

ex. Mexico - Mexican boxers are infamous for extensive use of the left hook to the body. lots of infighting. ex- Julio Caesar Chavez

Puerto Rican/Cuban fighters: Fast! Speed! Relentless, extremely conditioned.

check out the "sports teminology" thread for more boxing info.

Kinjit
02-05-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanx. Wasn't it the cubans that started training with smaller focus mitts?

CrippledAvenger
02-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Those Mexican boxers are sure handy with the liver punches. Ugh. Painful shots.

as for styles, I think a lot of it depends more on your own physical attributes and your trainer's preferences, than your geographic location. Don't discount the influence of height and weight class when talking about the developement of boxing "styles", not to mention the availibilities of fights for a fighter with your particular style (i.e. southpaws fighting from the orthodox, and so on).

edit: it looks like Shaolin Tiger said it first and clearer. sorry 'bout that, bro.

SevenStar
02-05-2003, 06:03 PM
filipino boxers were once notorious for the bolo punch.

yenhoi
02-05-2003, 06:05 PM
"bolo punch"?

SevenStar
02-05-2003, 06:17 PM
yeah - picture a karate inside block, only it comes down at an angle and is aimed for the temple.

Kinjit
02-05-2003, 06:21 PM
SevenStar - are you talking about a forearm strike?

CrippledAvenger
02-05-2003, 06:21 PM
more like a hammerfist, I thought?

yenhoi
02-05-2003, 06:22 PM
neat.

SevenStar
02-05-2003, 06:22 PM
here ya go:

http://www.yawyan.com/bolopunches.htm

yenhoi
02-05-2003, 06:23 PM
even better.

:D

SevenStar
02-05-2003, 06:28 PM
the punch was outlawed long ago because of the damage it caused, I assume. here's the guy credited for using it and some stuff about him:

http://www.geocities.com/rolborr/cgarcia.html

we practiced the bolo in jun fan

Kinjit
02-05-2003, 06:29 PM
YAW YAN? Never heard of it before...hmm.. Guess I'll have to look into it. Anyway that sounds like the bread and butter Kali striking, from the description on their page.

Xebsball
02-05-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
yeah - picture a karate inside block, only it comes down at an angle and is aimed for the temple.

from what i understand from your description we have that in xing yi too

SevenStar
02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
it's a good punch. I wouldn't say it's the bread and butter, but we used it alot.

SevenStar
02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Really Xeb? what element does it correspond to?

Kinjit
02-05-2003, 07:00 PM
I think I misunderstood what the bolo punch is about - not enough coffeine I guess.

CrippledAvenger
02-05-2003, 07:24 PM
on another tanget-- I was wondering how many different boxing guards are used today and what the advantages of them are. I know the peek-a-boo (that's what I was taught, in fact) and I've seen pictures of old bare-kncukle guards as well as dempsey's, but it seems like there's a lot out there. anyone want to elaborate?

Seven- Great link, btw. It's a shame you can't use some of those in competition anymore. They seem like they'd make counterpunching a more viable fight strategy.

Xebsball
02-05-2003, 07:26 PM
This is what i calculated so far, maybe other xing yi dudes with more experience could analise better or something

1) Downward - executed like hitting downward with a butt end of a bolo, like hammering with the closed fist.

Looks like an axe-like motion, force used (as an example of course) to split a brick in two pieces, would be Pi (metal)
In Shanxi Xing Yi we do in fact do Pi with the closed fist.

2) Outside - executed like swinging a bolo from inside of the body to outside, point of contact can be anywhere from forearm ridge to base of closed fist (butt-end side). This variance of an outside elbow strike, the Outside Bolo Punch can be beautifully executed as a turning Outside bolo punch, a favorite technique of Yaw-Yan fighters, the added momentum and movement of the hips gives extra knockout power to it's unexpected turning move.

From inside to outside, its crossing-like, Earth.

3) Inside - executed like swinging a bolo from the outside with a slashing motion towards the inside part, point of contact can be anywhere from forearm ridge to base of closed fist (the butt-end side).

I'd say Earth again, we do both in-out and out-in.

7) Uppercut - executed the same way as the western boxing uppercut.

If it spirals, Water.

8) Straight Punch - executed the same way as the western boxing straight punch.

think its an horizontal fist? we mostly use vertical, but there are some horizontal, on some animal, cant remember exactly though

9) Upward Punch - executed by bring the punching fist vertically upward.

Think this could be a beng that is goinh some upward to hit a higher target.

10) Crossed Punch - executed the same way as the western boxing cross-punch.

We can use a type of cross that hits with the forearm, can end up on throwing the dude on the ground

11) Overhead - executed by tucking your head with your one arm and hitting overhead with another fist.

Close to Pao, though not the same i think.

Xebsball
02-05-2003, 10:54 PM
Tee
Tee
Tee

For
Seven
To
See

CrippledAvenger
02-06-2003, 04:21 AM
ttt?

ttt.

ShaolinTiger00
02-06-2003, 06:13 AM
CA I've got answers but no time right now. later!

CrippledAvenger
02-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Sure, ST. Whenever you've got the time, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Xebsball
02-12-2003, 05:17 AM
tee
tee
tee

did
Seven
see?

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2003, 08:38 AM
I was wondering how many different boxing guards are used today and what the advantages of them are. I know the peek-a-boo (that's what I was taught, in fact) and I've seen pictures of old bare-kncukle guards as well as dempsey's, but it seems like there's a lot out there. anyone want to elaborate?

- I can think of several in boxing, but when the addition of kicks factor in, even more. and another thing to consider. As much as I am an adamant believer that western boxing is the best delivery system for striking in the world. proven, tested, and never been bested, - it is still a ringsport and when there are rules there are ways to win that aren't nessecarily the best for a self-defense.

1) Very Defensive. Will hold his forearms like two pillars in front of him the entire fight. count on him to counter punch, grab your neck and he's counting on this defense vs the mobility of slipping an ducking w/ footwork.

2) The lazy guard. May keep rear hand close to the chin to cover but leaves jab hand down around belt line. Partially out of laziness, another part out of feinting you to take a loping punch instead of a crisp "stab"(Roy Jones jr. has mastered this.)

3) A high guard. He'll recognize a headhunter and will keep his guard up (hands are @ eye level or above). this will give him the ability to keep defensive, yet able to see and stay mobile.

4) Low guard. He's taken alot of shots to the ribs or knows that kicks are coming in (common for kickboxers because they are expecting the gap to be closed with kicks before hands factor) Elbows are practically stapled to the fighter's sides.

5) Classic guard. Just the ultiamte ready position. elbows tucked, hands relaxed, you've using a rhythm to keep moving, (long on the outside, short inside) I always think of Sugar Ray Robinson - the perfect boxer. smooth, fast, strong, graceful, skillful. just the best...

This is what you'll rely on, everything else is really just a modification for the situation you're in. Watch amateurs training for Olympic boxing. Since there is little chance of a knockout you won't see lots of risktaking esp. since its points that count. so they play a cautious, fast fight and a good guard.