PDA

View Full Version : leg strength

mtod1
02-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Hi all.

I'd like to be able to full extend my legs slowly (like a front kick to the head).

However, I've found that I can get my knee to my chest easer enough, but extending the rest of my leg is rather difficult.

Does anyone have any exercises that would strenghen my legs for this sort of movement.

Thanx
seeya

SirenOfAcreLane
02-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Your problem isn't strength, it's flexibility. With flexibility, comes a certain degree of static strength. Just make sure you stretch sensibly, and safely, and you'll have it in no time.

Tip: Stretch at least 12 hours after waking. The entire day can serve as a very gradual, natural warmup; there is nothing more effective.

Serpent
02-05-2003, 10:10 PM
Keep trying. The more you do it, the more you will be able to do it.

Mr. Bao
02-06-2003, 08:15 AM
HT:

You need to develop joint and muscular flexibility of the lower region. While wanting to actively do a front kick toward your head like I have seen some wushu or shaolin monks do is a great feat, but the flexibility that these players have are of a mutant type my friend. It is not impossible to attain, but it is going to take hard work to get there.

I would recommend you go research effective stretching books I personally got Matt Furey videos on flexibility and Pavel's books and videos on flexibility. I like Pavel's body of work better tho, and in my opinion Matt's video isn't worth the price of what he is charging because many of the techniques he taught I knew already in my courses at ACE and NASM for my personal training certs.

Instead of spenting 130 for his Matt's flexibility videos, I will charge anyone here 60 bucks for his four videos and pls the cost of S/H. I personally think his videos are not useful for someone like me who knows a bit more than the average bear, but it might be good for others.

Once you got your flexibility, the rest is isometric hold and at different ranges of the front kick, friend. Then you shall be like the shaolin and wushu mutants I have seen. Good luck.

mtod1
02-06-2003, 07:29 PM
thanx guys.

Mr. Bao
02-08-2003, 06:47 AM
No problem brother, its been a pleasure.