PDA

View Full Version : Training routines (solo)

Drunk mantis
02-05-2003, 07:54 PM
As of latley I have been missing a lot of my classes due to a conflicting schedule. So I am forced to train by myself. My routine breaks down like this

1.warm up (run, rope, jumping jacks) to get blood circulating
2.pt (push ups stances sit ups .....)
3.shadowbox using tech for a couple rds
4.forms for another 10 min
5.finish off with some bag work

I was wondering what other peoples routines are or if anyone out there thinks I should add or lose some things from my routine.

Thanks

MightyB
02-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Actually,

That sounds pretty good. I've run into similar circumstances and I did about the same thing. Actually I did and do everything you listed and I supplement it with some dumbell exercises. I do 2 sets of 15 reps of curls, military presses, and draws. I do 3 sets of 30 reps of tricep extensions. I do 3 sets of 20 shoulder shrugs. I also do freestanding squats everyday and plyometric pushups. Sit ups and stomach tensors are also a must.

I also do a series of Eagle Claw solo exercises with and without 14oz boxing gloves. And I like to do the first form from Wing Chun, Siu Lum Tao, because it's a great dynamic tension form. Plus, the Sifu who taught it to me always tells me I have girly forearms because mine aren't barrel-like like his and criticizes me for not practicing the form enough. Luckily, I only see him about once a year. I also like to get into the push up position on my fingertips. Not the flats of the fingers, but the actual tips, and then I hold that position for as long as I can. Some conditioning exercises that I do are rolling the shins with a rolling pin. I do the mung bean bag exercises for the fists, finger tips, and palm, but I don't have a mung bean bag so I substitute a chunk of a 2x4. I do the mung bean bag iron body exercises with a wooden baseball bat, paying special attention to my thighs and forearms.
I do some dynamic tension exercises that I got from the book "Dynamic Strength" by Harry Wong. It's a cheap book and the exercises are especially taxing as an after-workout workout.
And, don't forget stretching!

Hope this helps you to come up with some more ideas. The biggest thing is to keep it fun and fresh. Mix it up a little because, after a while, solo practicing can get pretty boring.

The B

ursa major
02-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Drunk mantis
As of latley I have been missing a lot of my classes due to a conflicting schedule. So I am forced to train by myself. My routine breaks down like this

1.warm up (run, rope, jumping jacks) to get blood circulating
2.pt (push ups stances sit ups .....)
3.shadowbox using tech for a couple rds
4.forms for another 10 min
5.finish off with some bag work

I was wondering what other peoples routines are or if anyone out there thinks I should add or lose some things from my routine.

Thanks

Often I am out of town on business and have to come up with routines I can do in a hotel room. I like to do alot of Chi building 'stuff' because I am always low on sleep when on the road and these can be done standing in place or require little room to do.

Probably one of my favourite routines is 'falling in place', kick up a leg jump turn and twist as if you have been thrown or kicked and try to landing smoothly, break falling, etc. You'd be very surprised at how much sweat this can build and not bad drill either IMO.

One other favourite from Bung Bo, horse stance stand on left leg with right grab, left punch and right toe kick, step down to horse stance and do other left then right and so on... then speed it up this one gets my cardio up.

my .02 cents worth,
UM.

yu shan
02-08-2003, 12:07 AM
All great points! Due to the fact our Mantis deals with two-person training. It`s a must to have a partner to train with. If you must train solo, work on the basics, exercises, forms, weapons! You have to get back into a class environment, eventually. Or atleast your Teacher standing toe to toe with you.

Tainan Mantis
02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Drunk mantis,
My favorite solo exercises from traditional method is the bean bag and Shr Suo(rock lock).

We have a tombstone cutter make the rock lock so that may not be convenient for you.

The bean bag is filled with Mung Beans.
The weight is so that you will get tired before 20 throws as a beginner.
If you work up to 60-100 get a heavier bag.

There are specific throws, but you can just be creative and undoubtedly get the same effect.
You can throw it:
straight up
behind the back and shoulder catching with other hand or throwing hand
under the leg while kicking
kick with foot and catch with hand
catch on elbow...
...you get the picture.

The strength attained is very good in forearms for gripping as well as performing anything like a hanging block technique.
I feel that the throwing movements have a specific help to fighting, this is probably why it is one of the traditional "gungs"

There is also group practice which is good introduction for beginners.

It is quite safe while the rock lock is frighteningly dangerous.
Rock Lock is heavier, but effect on forearms is less.