PDA

View Full Version : Broadsword Question

Shaolin Dude
02-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Are all broadswords you use to practice your forms in your kwoon suppose to be dull? And are there sharp broadswords?

Serpent
02-05-2003, 11:02 PM
There are. But for practice, stick with the dull ones!

shaolin kungfu
02-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Or you could try the sharp ones if you don't want to keep your fingers.

Serpent
02-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Not to mention most other body parts.

shaolin kungfu
02-05-2003, 11:28 PM
:eek:

David Jamieson
02-06-2003, 07:06 AM
you could start with a wooden sword.

The broadsword techs and form I learned do not endanger the person using the sword.

The sets are designed so that the cuttiong edge doesn't face towards you at any time.

Swordplay is meant to cut your opponent, not you :D

Can't control the sword yet? Move slower and gradually increase the speed you handle the sword at.

cheers

MightyB
02-06-2003, 07:17 AM
You did it wrong. Did Gene teach you nothing?

You're supposed to do it like this:

You could start with awooden sword (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/40-04.html).

then you go on with the rest of your message because it was good info.

Next time, do it in the correct KFO fashion. ;)

David Jamieson
02-06-2003, 08:30 AM
I stand corrected mighty b.

gh- it is bad form to advertise for the competition on the gracious host of the site you are using. :)

cheers

David Jamieson
02-06-2003, 08:55 AM
gh-

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/chinese-martial-arts-weapons-broadswords.html

cheers

Losttrak
02-06-2003, 09:13 AM
1) If you are every arbitrarily pulled over by the PoPos after training... you will sure have a whole lot harder time convincing them its a practice weapon. Plus, I doubt your sifu wants head-lopping swords taken into the school.

2) If you are going to use a sharpened sword you might as well get combat steel. Dont even try to keep an edge with sheet steel. Plus the added weight of the combat steel will demand more control and slower movements in addition to helping you understand why some of the kung fu blocks are the way they are. Too many peeps practice with the flimsy foil wushu swords and not with a real one so their movements do not reflect the true meaning behind why the arms are positioned a certain way. Once you feel the massive weight you will understand that the sword moves you.. not the other way around.

Skarbromantis
02-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Losttrak, made a good point, the wushu steal is no good, if you can work with a combat steal one than its ten times better, the spring steal just doesn't feel right,.

Skard1

Sho
02-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Oh dear, I can't stand seeing broadswords that are made out of wushu steel. They look like foil-coloured cardboard slips carved out of Kellogg's corn flake cereal boxes. But they're still better than nothing!

Liokault
02-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Any one else here have a scare from a weapon being used in class? thank God it was blunt!!

Stryder
02-06-2003, 02:04 PM
I nicked myself in the cheek once with my butterfly swords

shaolin kungfu
02-06-2003, 02:18 PM
I almost chopped off my finger using my broadsword.

ShaolinTiger00
02-06-2003, 02:36 PM
[I]The broadsword techs and form I learned do not endanger the person using the sword.

The sets are designed so that the cuttiong edge doesn't face towards you at any time. [I]

For once I'm going to fully agree with KL. I know 5 broadsword forms and can't think of one instance where you're at risk.. (although I once sliced the silk pants of a uniform, but only because they were too loose.

JowGa's signature are double broadswords.

SifuAbel
02-06-2003, 03:10 PM
The only danger with a single broadsword is if you poke your elbow on the inslash if you arm isn't raised high enough. This is the inslash under the lifting arm, not to be confused with the inslash over the arm leading to a neckflower.

A funny danger is if you don't hold the sword correctly when craddling it the left hand. If its not nested on your elbow pit and shoulder and too closed to your head you might cut your ear off in any pummel swings. :D

norther practitioner
02-06-2003, 03:18 PM
I got 9 stiches on the elbow from a dao (plus the resulting scar). We were learning to put butterfly kicks into one of the broadsword forms, guy let the sword fly, I was only like a few feet from him, didn't stand a chance. It was a dull midweight sword...man that hurt now that I think about it.

Liokault
02-07-2003, 02:53 AM
:rolleyes:

Read above......Dont get a sharp one.

My scare was caused by another guy doing his form at the same time as me....we got a tad to close and then he did somthing wrong.

GeneChing
02-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Here's that sharpened broadsword. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-66kk30.html) Here's even a tai chi version. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-60kk.html) Beginners should never work sharps. It's quite dangerous. But IMO, advanced practitioners aren't really advanced if they haven't worked sharps. Of course, you have to remember that I did a fair amount of Japanese sword study, so in Iaido and Batto-jistu, I worked live blades. There's no substitute. It's been an odd modern convention that CMA shys away from sharps. And FWIW, a sword blade doesn't have to be that sharp to cut. It's more in the stroke.

norther practitioner
02-07-2003, 10:34 AM
And FWIW, a sword blade doesn't have to be that sharp to cut. It's more in the stroke.

:confused:
When wasn't it all in the stroke?

Losttrak
02-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Not THAT kind of stroking, NP...

norther practitioner
02-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Oh, thanks.....phew..... that almost became dangerous.
Just glad I don't really ever use my live blade.

Oh, Oh,
got a new kung fu pick up line....
Hey baby, wanna check out my broadsword, I was told I have a beautiful stroke.

Losttrak
02-07-2003, 11:28 AM
:D

isol8d
12-29-2003, 07:57 AM
So I recieved a broadsword for X-mas, and the handle is bare wood.

Any suggestions on how I should wrap it?

I've used tennis racket tape for my butterfly swords, but I would like something that works a little better....

Thanks....

Judge Pen
12-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Better than tennis racket tape? If you can find some leather wrap then I guess that would be ideal.

isol8d
12-29-2003, 09:19 AM
exactly what I was looking for, just couldn't wrap my head around the words...

thanks.