PDA

View Full Version : O/T: Staffordshire Bull Terriers

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 05:04 PM
I am thinking of getting me a Staffie.

Do any of you peeps own one?
If so, do you have any advice and anything else you'd like to share?

I'm also looking for a good name. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

norther practitioner
02-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Had one in school, show it love, it returns it, watch out though....
They are illegal someplaces.

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Had one in school, show it love, it returns it, watch out though....
They are illegal someplaces.

Illegal? Why?

Serpent
02-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Not illegal here, Toaboy, don't worry.

They need lots of exercise or they'll get fat. They are built to totally love you and need lots of attention. But it's worth it.

The best name I ever heard attached to a Staffie was Snuckles.

:D

Chang Style Novice
02-06-2003, 05:59 PM
My mom's dog crazy (she volunteers 12 hours a day every day for various rescue outfits) and when I was visiting her this weekend, I skimmed over one of her "Dog Fancy" magazines. There was an article about Staffies in it which said in Britain, they're so beloved and famed for their gentleness with kids they're called "Nanny dogs."

Awwwwwwwww!

Of course, their original purpose was fighting dogs, so if you get a ***** you probably ought to give her the name of England's most famous warrior queen - Boudicca. Or Boadicea. Or any of the dozen or so other spellings.

Snuckles is nice too, though. Or you could do what I plan to when I can get a dog and call it "Muu."

Water Dragon
02-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Staffs are good dogs, but you have to be the right kind of owner.

They are dog aggresive, so they need to be on a leash -- ALWAYS. It's a breed characteristic. They are excellant with children, but you CANNOT let the dog get excited around kids, even your own.

They WILL attack someone if they think they are bad new, and a lot of times bulldogs don't warn before they attack. But they are also the people friendliest dog you'll ever meet. I've heard they've been known to let burglars in with no problem.

They're active, and you do need to exercise them a lot. My American Bulldog is demolishing the house right now because it's too cold to go on a two mile walk.

But they're great animals. Take a look at the American Bulldog as well. They're better watchdogs, just as good with kids, and not quite as dog mean (they do like to fight a lot though -- so the leash thing still applies.) This is where I got my Rosey: www.americanbulldogrescue.com

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks WD.

American Bulldogs sure are a good looking dog and they sound like they will fit my lifestyle. I've never had a dog before because I had a full-time job. I'm changing things around and I think it's time to get one.

I wonder how readily available American Bulldogs are in Australia...?

Serpent
02-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Quite common actually. Just go to a good breeder, but expect to pay $$$'s!

Otherwise, hunt round the pounds. Better to save a dog from euthanasia than promote more breeding.

TaoBoy
02-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Otherwise, hunt round the pounds. Better to save a dog from euthanasia than promote more breeding.

My thoughts exactly.
I will definitely be searching the pounds etc.
I just need to find the correct breed for me.
A work mate just said I like ugly breeds - why I oughta...!!

Serpent
02-06-2003, 10:15 PM
Outrageous!

Liokault
02-07-2003, 02:49 AM
A friend at work used to have one.

Spent a lot of cash on it but had to have it put down as it would randemly get agressive with him and his kids.

Used to growl and go into attack mode if u walked near the dogs food dish or sleeping area. He put up with it for about a year but it was getting worse over time to the point where he considered that his kids saftey was in danger so he had it put down.

He didnt think there was anything wrong with the breed but that there was somthing mentaly wrong with this one dog.

Water Dragon
02-07-2003, 07:39 AM
There was nothing wrong with the dog. Your friend just didn't know how to handle a bulldog. The dog thought he was the leader of the house which explains all the behavior you described. Dominant breed dogs WILL challenge you at some point in your life. If you don't put them in check real quick they'll take over the house. I'll bet the dog didn't like other people into the house either.

Former castleva
02-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Nah,donīt have a staffie but consider seriously and swap trough breeds before choosing.

Black Jack
02-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Ummm......bull breeds. As a longtime APBT owner and fan the subject is close to my heartstrings.

The little staffy is a excellent dog hands down. There are a couple of different lines but man they are great dogs, all the characteristics that make the bulldogge's famous, heart, loyality, intelligence, strength, and courage, good stuff for sure.

I just hope you are a responsible owner as they deserve the best. Though, except for the Irish line, they are not considered game anymore, as WaterDragon already pointed out, they can still be pretty dog aggressive, meaning they love a good scrap, its a part of the breed. A good tool is a small breaking stick for those occasions when you may need to break up two determined dogs quickly.

The American bulldog is a great dog to, I prefer the smaller Scott dogs or hybrids to the massive JDJ bulldogs.

Chang Style Novice
02-07-2003, 11:55 AM
My ma (who as I mentioned before, is dog crazy) refuses to hit her beasts, even when they start to get into it with each other. She's found that a commercial citrus spray does the job just fine.

Of course, she doesn't have squash-nosed breeds - but the airdales and basenjis still get pretty scrap-happy sometimes.

Water Dragon
02-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Black Jack

The American bulldog is a great dog to, I prefer the smaller Scott dogs or hybrids to the massive JDJ bulldogs.

Oh c'mon. Who wouldn't want a dog that makes a Rottweiler look like a ****er Spaniel?

Black Jack
02-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Real functional bulldogs are not squashed nosed. Staffy's are not squashed nose breeds.

Black Jack
02-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Waterdragon,

Those dogs are freaking huge. Gives me a complex.:D

Chang Style Novice
02-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, not like an english bulldog or boxer, sure. But the muzzle isn't as long as on a pointer or what have you.

edited because I really do know english bulldogs from old english sheepdogs. Honest!

carly
02-07-2003, 12:28 PM
I've had a staffy, and it was a superb dog. He didn't fight with other dogs and was great with people too - the ****ed beast was my best friend. My next one was a female, and choosing a female was a good idea - they are less dominant and easier to handle than males. American Bulldogs are also amazing dogs, and if I get another dog in the future, I'd probably try one of those.

carly
02-07-2003, 12:37 PM
http://www.americanbulldogz.com/contact.html

Water Dragon
02-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Some of the dogs in the above link are ABPT crosses. Good dogs, but not pure AB

Royal Empress
02-07-2003, 07:30 PM
so you are getting a staffie? they are wounderful dogs. I had one i raised from a puppy. If you get a good blood line they are great dogs. My staffie was named sir james lancelot. So long as you bring them around lots of people and kids you will have no problems.My mom had a mix breed dog and there was no problems with them fighting.They are good dogs .make sure you look into your local laws some city or suburbs will ban the dogs from being owned in the town.And make sure he never gets lose because most towns if they cant find the owner they put the dogs to sleep. well i hope this helps and good luck with a great breed of dog.

TaoBoy
02-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Okay - here's the interesting part:

My partner has a toy poodle. A cute little thing I have to admit but not my kind of animal. And I just can't bring myself to associate with the little guy outside the house (I mean my masculanity would suffer greatly ;) ). The little guy is tiny - even for a toy poodle - and is a little wimp to boot.

If I bring a staffie pup into the house will there be problems?
The poodle will be fine (well except for his penchant for buggery of other male dogs and that's even without his nads :rolleyes: ).

I think a staffie would suit me well as I am very active and would love to do the whole walk/play thing with a *real* dog. And now that I am studying and working part-time I will be home often enough to provide the required attention (my previous schedule being the reason I don't have a dog already).

Thanks for everyone's input.

Chang Style Novice
02-08-2003, 07:32 PM
From my meager knowledge of dawg psych, I'd say things will be okay. A young pup, say 8-12 weeks old, will imprint a grown dog no matter how small as being above him in the pecking order. This imprint will last forever, even when your staffie will be able to swallow the toy poodle in a gulp. This pecking order is unlikely to affect his relationship with other humans or animals. Of course, spay or neuter your pet, keep it clean and well trained, don't tie him up outside alone, yada yada yada. I bet you already know how to be a compassionate responsible pet owner, though.