PDA

View Full Version : Differeces between north and south shaolin kungfu's

magnus
01-15-2001, 01:00 AM
What are the main differences? Witch do you think is better for combat?

Kung Lek
01-15-2001, 01:46 AM
Both are formiddable arts.

peace

Kung Lek

Black Fist
01-15-2001, 01:57 AM
Different types of jing, approaches and methodology. Which is best is always pendant on the practitioner not the art (Though some arts are that bad that well...leaves a lot to want for)

Tekarius
01-15-2001, 03:28 AM
THere are a few chinese sayings about northern and southern kung fu.
Like Nam Kuen Buk Tui meaning SOuthern fist Northern Legs.
Or Nam Kwon Buk Cheung meaning Southern staff Northern spear.
Hope This helps

obiwan
01-15-2001, 05:16 AM
In my experience, (I emphasis this) Southern styles in 7 star preying mantis (this is my experience) have really missed the point. They do the same moves, they do the same forms, but the spirit and the application of the moves are completely different.

In my PERSONAL experience, the southern version was far less effective. Not in terms of complex moves, but little things like, "if you did that, you would be left open, or your wrist could become damaged, or your leg might get kicked in"

Little things that I felt would make the fighting overall ineffective. One of our seniors went to his uncle's Hung Gar school.

He hadnt trained that long at the time, and he whooped nearly everyone except his uncle. Everyone else he sparred had trained for longer than him. He really is fond of his uncle, but he had to admit that it was very crap. He had to speak against his own family.

I have found the same in my personal experience.

Maybe this is just a localised problem where I live, but this is my experience. I dont wish to condescend on Southern stylists, they are still good fighting systems. Just to me, northern seems far more effective for the amount of training time compared to combat effectiveness.

AGAIN I STRESS, MY EXPERIENCE ONLY!!

The Force will be with you...always

iamaloser
01-15-2001, 07:57 AM
Many Chinese martial arts systems adapt and develop according to their surroundings. Since the north is more mountainous, longer attacks, higher stances, and more higher and fancier kicks were born. The south is more flatter and more farmland so lower stances with more emphasis on hand techniques developed. However, a central Shaolin philosophy encompasses both north and south schools.

skuall
01-15-2001, 08:07 AM
what about CLF?

lungyuil
01-15-2001, 08:48 AM
obiwan, i think that particular hung gar school must be crap. no offence to your friends uncle. i say this wtih no disrespectful intentions because i train in a southern system incl. also having trained in Hung gar. it is a very effective system.

Back to the original question southern & northern systems. southern are more short hand and less legs, northern are more legs and less short hand.
both types of systems still use these yet each favour different things due to the area. the south had less area so they had to utilize short techniques etc.

shaolin was also burnt down and fukien became the main temple for training & due to the shortage of time started to develop systems for quicker results. short power requires diferent body use.
:)