PDA

View Full Version : Current Issue

Tsingtao
02-07-2003, 08:08 AM
What is the current issue of your Magazine? I'm a subscriber and I'm not sure if I recieved it yet. Thanks

M_ArtsMargie
02-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Our current issue is Mar/April 2003 with Master Tu on the cover. If you would like to pm me your name and address, I can search our database to see which issue was supposed to be your first.

sunsoar
02-13-2003, 01:34 PM
When did the latest issue come out cos i havent recieved mine yet either and im only about 2 issues into my subscription. I know it takes a while to reach me as im in the UK but was just wondering

Tsingtao
02-13-2003, 03:02 PM
I just got my issue today...... Its been out on the stands for like 2 weeks. I don't understand sometimes I get it before it reaches the stands and most of the time after. Why?

Do you send them out before the news stands or at the same time?

M_ArtsMargie
02-14-2003, 05:06 PM
we send them before newstands, but post office is so slow. For some reason...just this issue...no body has recieved.

GeneChing
02-17-2003, 10:11 AM
It's pretty weird actually - subscribers usually get about a week jump on our distributors but it is not always so. U.S. mag distribution is a monsterous machine, as you might imagine, and often it can beat out our government postal service. Once the mag appeared in a HI newsstand at the same time as we got our advances. I have no idea how that could have happened. So will we really try to get it out to the subscribers early, we aren't always successful. Subscribers to get the benefit of almost $9 off newsstand price and the occasional special treat we send in the subscriber envelopes.

PHILBERT
03-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
...and the occasional special treat we send in the subscriber envelopes.

Like M_ArtsMargie phone number? :D

GeneChing
03-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Margie - 1-800-824-2433
Live and intimate.
Ask for her catalog.

PHILBERT
03-19-2003, 02:15 PM
But I got the catalog. Twice.

GeneChing
03-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Pass the extra catalog on to a friend!

As for Margie, well, a gave you her humber, what more can I do? The rest is up to you, buddy. :cool:

PHILBERT
03-20-2003, 11:01 PM
None of my friends like martial arts though. Honestly.

GeneChing
03-21-2003, 02:05 PM
That's why you're on the forum so much, eh? Well, time to start teaching your friends and build out client base. Nothing would make Margie happier...;)

PHILBERT
03-21-2003, 11:42 PM
Tried Gene, really, I have. The only things my friends said when they saw Wing Tsun was "Dude, that'd look great to techno music."

Seriously.

GeneChing
03-24-2003, 10:03 AM
No offense, philbert, but you gotta get some new friends. Wing Tsun would be much cooler to jungle. ;)

norther practitioner
03-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Well depending on your definitions.....Jungle is a type of techno.

Other sub genres are House (and all its sub genres), Trance, Breakbeat, Drum and Bass, etc.

Then there is the crowd that says it is all electronica, then techno is a sub genre with house and trance, etc.
Anyhow, back to the Wing Tsun as a dance, as someone who "clubs" a bit too much and dances in those cocamamy circles, I have to say, there can be an element of Wing tsun to the dancing. Especially those noodle dancin' ravers.

PHILBERT
03-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Some of the blocks, if done in a certain order to resemble some techno dancing. Try a bong sao and tan sao at the same time while turning. Maybe a tan sao and pak sao, or kau sao and pak sao...There are some I like to dance techno to.

GeneChing
03-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Are you sure you just don't want to pak sao one of those noodle dancin' ravers in the head? 'Cause if so, I'd understand. ;)
Seriously, I've always felt that martial arts demos suffered from a horrid lack of imagination when it came to mucis selection - we could use a good dose of techno/jungle. But I remember a tournament where there was an afterparty and all the middle-aged + people ran in disgust from the techno... You can't please everyone....

norther practitioner
03-25-2003, 03:35 PM
I dance with a crew here in Denver. We've done a few (one for me, another coming up in May) performances. The last one we did a bunch of popping routines to some old school hip-hop, some newer hip-hop, and jungle. Part of my routine was a butterfly kick, it got a pretty good reaction, now I just need to learn some arials to keep up with the wushu kids and the breakers. I use a lot of my long fist in my dancing, I also use some drunken influence..... The foot work that I do, I have learned in a very similar fasion to the way I learn forms.

GeneChing
03-26-2003, 09:59 AM
I did an article on Hip Hop fist (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=99) back in '99. It was about RZA, really. I've always felt that there was a solid connection but that has never been supported in the martial community - at least not overtly. That issue did poorly on the newsstands.

norther practitioner
03-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Couple things
Looks like a good issue....I've seen a few interviews where some hip-hop heads said that they simpothised with the oppressed people in some of the kung fu flix.....

Speaking of good issues, Margie, it has happend again, I haven't gotten my mag or my qi shirt (don't worry, I won't pose).

There have been a bunch of times where I have stayed at the guan and trained, usually to some hip hop, breaks, and jungle. It is fun (I'm teaching the rope dart to myself, fun to try to get a rhythm in hip hop, bring it to breakbeat speed, then to jungle.

GeneChing
03-27-2003, 10:41 AM
But sometimes I think we're too early for it to appear in the martial arts mags. It needs to have wider acceptance in the other medias. Stuff like Romeo Must Die made a lot of headway, as did Wu-Tang Clan, but the club/rave scene is still underground in a way that only the youth knows about it, and that's doesn't make good copy...not yet at least.

M_ArtsMargie
03-27-2003, 10:49 AM
if you have not received any of your products, you can pm me your personal information and I can do a search on the package.
:D

PHILBERT
03-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by M_ArtsMargie
if you have not received any of your products, you can pm me your personal information and I can do a search on the package.
:D

Can I PM you my personal information? ;) j/k.

norther practitioner
03-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Thanks Margie....

It is funny going to these local tournies (open styles), and seeing what they use for there music for the open musical divisions.... I've been thinking of doing something for that (putting together a form that goes to maybe a breakbeat song that starts out all somber with a buddhist chant or something).

PHILBERT
03-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Its funny when they do it to fast songs and the form isnt to the beat of the song. I saw a guy do a Wushu Mantis form to the song Spybreak from The Matrix and his form wasn't to the beat of the song and it looked so poor.

GeneChing
03-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Any of you all remember the "eye of the tiger " era? Now it's all "Everybody was kung fu fighting," OUATIC (dance version) and CTHD. Most martial artists have no imagination.

I had this fantasy of doing a taiji form to some burning spear reggae dub for the longest time, but I felt I couldn't get enough bass out of those crummy PA systems at the tournaments.

@PLUGO
03-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Back in the day Wing Chun certainly came in handly while moving through the sweety gyrating mass of Ravers at a given party.. Blocking a randome elbow or redirecting a bouncer...

there can be an element of Wing tsun to the dancing. Especially those noodle dancin' ravers.

heh... remember those BOX BUILDERs?