PDA

View Full Version : foam-padded sticks

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 11:33 AM
anybody ever used the foam-padded sticks they sell in the catalogues? i mean for sparring with proper contact. how did they hold up? how about the long staffs?

thanks in advance.

stuart b.

ShaolinTiger00
02-07-2003, 11:36 AM
The thought immediately conjurs up the SNL skit for "Nerf Crotch Bats!"

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 11:50 AM
missed that one. and yet i'm laughing anyway. :)

dezhen2001
02-07-2003, 11:51 AM
before anyone else says it: if u trained hard qigong u could use a real one with no padding :rolleyes::D

dawood

Chang Style Novice
02-07-2003, 11:57 AM
I agree with dawood - save yourself the money and just steal some rebar from a construction site, then use a metal saw to get it down to size.

Perfectly safe!

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
before anyone else says it: if u trained hard qigong u could use a real one with no padding :rolleyes::D

dawood

mayhaps. :)

i used to compete in the full-contact stickfighting tournaments (WEKAF). and as much as that sucked with the padding, i have nothing but the utmost respect (and a little bewilderment) for what the dog brothers do.

but that's not really the point anyway. i'm looking for something to be used in sparring so that you could do empty hand and weapons in the same format, with a sort of common denominator set of safety equipment (rather than sticksparring with the specialized padding and sparring with a different set of padding).

stuart b.

dezhen2001
02-07-2003, 12:05 PM
no one gets my humour :(
good luck in finding what u need mate!

dawood

red5angel
02-07-2003, 12:07 PM
What is the deal with these Dog Bros anyway?

ShaolinTiger00
02-07-2003, 12:12 PM
what's the deal? - they're crazy in a very cool kind of way. knife/stick fighting and grappling

ewallace
02-07-2003, 12:14 PM
*** In best Tom Berringer Voice ***

Take the pain.

** End Voice***

red5angel
02-07-2003, 12:14 PM
what makes them crazy? so far you have described my Kali class.

yenhoi
02-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Sticks with no pads gets it!

I have some padded sticks that my classmates made with foam and ducktape, mixed with a few my teacher and a couple others have bought off the internet, all seem to be holding up well.

The Dog Brothers gathering this year is on July20 or something or other, and the 3 or 4 days before that is Dog Brothers training, at the same place! I think Im going to go. Probably get my head beat in.

:eek:

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
no one gets my humour :(
good luck in finding what u need mate!

dawood

sorry dezhen. i got it. i was just skirting away from the whole iron body thing. it's a traffic accident that, so far, i've managed not to gaze upon.

:)

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
What is the deal with these Dog Bros anyway?

they beat on each other with rattan sticks wearing little more than a headgear for protection. "higher consciousness through harder contact." or something to that effect.

stuart b.

yenhoi
02-07-2003, 12:25 PM
They are **** cool too.

One of them uses nunchaku.

How badass is that!

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
*** In best Tom Berringer Voice ***

Take the pain.

** End Voice***

it's not the pain that concerns me.

it's the...

no wait, it is the pain. my fault.

---

in all seriousness, to my knowledge, even the dog brothers wear gloves that aren't very well suited to empty hand. although they do grapple, so maybe i'm wrong about that. but that was my thinking anyway. use sticks that would allow you to wear UFC-style gloves. so once the sticks are disarmed, dropped, etc., and the knives are drawn, you still have empty hand as an option. i didn't see that happening with lacrosse gloves and a kendo helmet.

stuart b.

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 12:29 PM
I have some padded sticks that my classmates made with foam and ducktape, mixed with a few my teacher and a couple others have bought off the internet, all seem to be holding up well.

thanks yenhoi.

stuart b.

Marky
02-07-2003, 12:29 PM
The foam-padded sticks are too bouncy in my opinion. Furthermore, when used in realistic training, you'll probably bend the plastic core within ten minutes.

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Marky
The foam-padded sticks are too bouncy in my opinion. Furthermore, when used in realistic training, you'll probably bend the plastic core within ten minutes.

that's exactly the sort of thing i was wondering. thanks marky.

yenhoi
02-07-2003, 12:34 PM
The home made ones are rattan sticks with foam tightly wrapped by ducktape. They are much harder then the storebought foam ones.

Alot of times you see dog brothers videos, different guys wear different gloves, some with more protection, some with less. You will also see guys sometimes pulling off their protective gear during battle after they lose their sticks.

Dogbrother videos are such good stuff.

:D

red5angel
02-07-2003, 12:49 PM
if these dog bros are so cool why aren't you guys out there doing it? :)

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
if these dog bros are so cool why aren't you guys out there doing it? :)

there aren't enough hours in the day for me to do all the things i think are cool about martial arts. good grief. i'd be doing taiji before breakfast, capoeira afterward. (vomiting shortly after that, i'm guessing.) kickboxing. fencing. blah, blah, blah.

stuart b.

Kinjit
02-07-2003, 02:26 PM
I think closed-cell foam is the way to go. I don't see how its possible to spar with MMA-type gloves without breaking your fingers, I use sturdy hockey-gloves and I still get hurt.

apoweyn
02-07-2003, 02:53 PM
that's what i'm thinking too. getting whacked in the shoulder with a real stick is bad enough. getting whacked in the fingers just makes for a really short practice session. and perhaps some rehab.

stuart b.

red5angel
02-07-2003, 02:55 PM
"getting whacked in the fingers just makes for a really short practice session. and perhaps some rehab."

How do you survive in paintball? I bet your team is the kind of team that has to break to rub each other down and pack ice in each others pants....:D

Kinjit
02-07-2003, 03:03 PM
red5angel: I'm not talking about sore fingers, but busted knuckles and joints that never go back to normal. That **** aint cool and it still happens with protection. I'm very careful when I do weapons sparring, as an art student I can't afford otherwise. :)

red5angel
02-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Kinjit, I understand man, any chance to give Ap a ribbing is a chance I will take though!!!

By the way, what are the gloves called UFC guys use anyway?

Oso
02-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Ap,

Schedule 40 pvc is what you can find in Home Depot or whereever
but if you go to a plumbing supply house you can find scheduel 80
It's got a thicker wall to withstand higher pressures and so
it won't shatter like sch40 and isn't as flexible so locking and
disarms can still happen almost normally. Wrap with pipe insul
and tape as usual. I also use a rubber cane tip on the striking
end. Hurts like he ll but not as much cutting. 1/2" or 3/4'' dep
on your hand size.

oh, sch80 is usually gray where sch40 is white.

I still havn't found a really suitable glove but use the lacrosse
type as they are smaller than hockey and are designed to allow
you to hold a stick.

my .02

Taomonkey
02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
I have a pair I got from Ernesto Presas, they are heavy nylon canvas around pipe insulation and a 1/2 inch dial piece of ratan. Soon Broke the ratan, so I got some pvc pipe and rebuilt one. it barely fit into the sleve and has caused some major welps on a few training partners, hurt like hell, they were a bit flexable and could be used like a short jambok. Remade the other with thick walled bamboo it is much more natural in its actions. Yes they are bouncy, but thats fron the foam, I feel that if they were not I would break somebody. there are some on the web, but they are quite expensive, like $50 a stick, they had several legnths and even a katana legnth, but I forget the address.

GeneChing
02-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Here are our foam sticks. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/25-14.html) They're good for safe training. They don't give the same feel as a real stick, but then, that feeling is usually a broken knuckle.

yenhoi
02-07-2003, 05:39 PM
AP:

we use Century Stickfighting gloves to protect our hands, almost no worries.

Kinjit
02-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
AP:

we use Century Stickfighting gloves to protect our hands, almost no worries.

Could you describe what they are like? I couldn't find them on the net :(

yenhoi
02-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Thin hard foam padding all over the glove, including each finger. Palm is open so you can make a tight grip (which is most important for protecting your fingers and knuckles.) Also has wrist support, and are very easy to take on and off (velcro!)

The Normal Century glove is the same, except its not open palmed, and padding doesnt cover each finger entirely.

apoweyn
02-10-2003, 08:08 AM
yenhoi,

how do you think they'd fare in empty hand sparring? would they provide enough protection?

thanks in advance.

stuart b.

yenhoi
02-10-2003, 08:12 AM
For you, not your opponent. They are hard gloves. We use them, but we usually use headgear also.