PDA

View Full Version : david lee roth and kung fu - the shame!

carly
02-07-2003, 03:29 PM
DLR: "I started working on my sword routine months and months ago. It's something that people spend years working on, it's part of the Northern Chinese kung fu style called Pekkwar. It's a very aggressive martial art.
Anybody can spin a blade around, like in a figure eight, but it's had to make it actually appear as if it's an extension of your arm and to utilize it with the proper balance, the proper breathing, the proper emotional content. You can make 20 thousand people really feel it when you flip that thing around - provided you know what you're doing. If you don't then your elbows and your knees are going to hear about it."

kungfu cowboy
02-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Great Grand Master Sifu Diamond David Lee Roth ROCKS!! He could take those broken wings off that Mr. Mister guy any day!!

Nevermind
02-07-2003, 03:40 PM
DLR rules! He was a student of Paulie Zink. He had a black belt in karate also I do believe. Possibly kickboxing. Last I read, he said that he was working out 6 days a week with the Gracies. The interview in which he said this was from the late nineties, so I don't know if that still holds true. He'd kick Sammy Hagar's azz! :D

red5angel
02-07-2003, 03:41 PM
When I signed up for the marine corp my recruiter actualy used the fact that Mr Roth was a marine as well. I of course explained to him that I hated Van Halen ( I know Hate is a strong word but I am a strong man.), so then he mentioned Montel Williams was a marine as well.

rogue
02-07-2003, 03:52 PM
DLR was never a Marine. He trained with Ed Parker when he as younger and Ed was alive.

Nevermind
02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
I thought that whole Marine thing sounded a little suspect. I had never heard it mentioned in any of his biographies. You're right, Rogue. I couldn't remember if it was karate or kickboxing. I do recall reading that he got a black belt under Mr. Parker in addition to his kung fu studies with Mr. Zink. I've seen him on tv recently performing. He's still got his moves. Van Halen sux without him.

red5angel
02-07-2003, 04:00 PM
"DLR was never a Marine"

DOI!!!! I know he was never a marine but for some reason my recruiter thought teling me that would get me in faster. Of course he apparently wasn;t there when I walked into the recruiting office and said "sign me up, no bull**** I wanna go"

logic
02-07-2003, 04:07 PM
I like the older VH. They Rocked.

I also saw that Ed O'Neil, the guy Al Bundy from Married With Children.
He trains with the Gracies and I think he has been training for over 7 years.

I saw a special on E.S.P.N. about it.
I couldn't hear it, it was on at a very loud night club.

Chang Style Novice
02-07-2003, 04:17 PM
David Lee Roth may not have been a marine, but John Coltrane was in the Navy. And his records don't make me wish he had never been born, too.

dnc101
02-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
I know he was never a marine but for some reason my recruiter thought teling me that would get me in faster.

No! A Marine Corps recruiter lied to you!? I can't believe that:rolleyes: ! And just to get you to sign up, too!:cool:

:D

GeneChing
02-07-2003, 05:10 PM
I think it was in the video for Jump, Roth does a tornado kick and swings a broadsword. It's obvious there that he's had some training.

I once worked the pit (front of stage) for Van Halen with Hagar. It was amusing. Lots of bimbos, but probably not near as many as there were during Dave's watch.

rogue
02-07-2003, 07:32 PM
If anybody is a DLR or classic VH fan check out Diamond Daves CD under the DLR Band. It isn't VH or Eat em and Smile but it's got some nice stuff on it. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000007O7F/qid=1044671283/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-7214187-9584748?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)

tsunami surfer
02-07-2003, 07:38 PM
It was Ted Nugent that was in the marines. Or so I heard.

old jong
02-07-2003, 07:47 PM
What about Alice Cooper and Tiny Tim?;)

diego
02-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Word, VH ROXXX!!!!!!...

dont yall feel enlightened now that i have pontificated "yall ever use words hoping they correct :)."

Fred Sanford
02-08-2003, 02:41 AM
I think it was Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister who was a Marine.

logic
02-08-2003, 05:23 AM
No No No
You guys got it all wrong.

Marines = Michel Jackson:p (white glove kung fu)

Ben Gash
02-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Surely it was Huey from Fun Loving Criminals.
VH rock, but Ain't Talkin' About Love is too hard for me to play :(

Nevermind
02-10-2003, 08:13 AM
In the video for "Panama", David Lee Roth does a nasty double broadsword routine. I saw him last year on the Carson Daly show with his DLR Band. He still has the same flexibility and showed some cool moves. Good to see he's still in good shape.