PDA

View Full Version : OT- Question for the HTML peeps

Royal Dragon
02-08-2003, 12:40 PM
hello, I have some add banners for my site, and I am looking for something to rotate them in turn. Can you direct me to some sort of simple freeware software that will allow me to do this on the tops of my pages?

count
02-08-2003, 03:56 PM
The CGI resource (http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/)
:cool:

prana
02-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Do a VIEW SOURCE on the KFO and look for the word STEVE CREEL. The <Script> </script> section contains the .... script :)

:D But anyone care to add a more precise explanation ?

SevenStar
02-08-2003, 06:42 PM
There are several rotating banner scripts in perl and javascript that will do that.

count
02-08-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm a traditionalist. Perl does so much more than change some pictures.

SevenStar
02-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Of course it does. But there are plenty of uses for perl, both simple and non. I would likely do it in php, but perl will indeed do the trick, as will javascript.

Royal Dragon
02-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Ok, I sucsessfully stole the code from KFO, and tweaked it to my needs.

The problem, it only changes the banner when I reload the page. I want one to change the banner every 20-30 seconds or so without having to reload the page.

Anyone got some ideas on how to do that?

SevenStar
02-09-2003, 03:37 AM
why would you want to do that?

1. that may be distracting, as people may keep looking at the new banners

2. They may pay no attention to them whatsoever, as they are reading/posting.

SevenStar
02-09-2003, 03:39 AM
To answer your question though, one easy way to do it may be to use a frameset, or use an iframe for the banners - you can have the page in the frame refresh every few minutes. when it refreshes, a new banner will appear.

Royal Dragon
02-09-2003, 07:38 AM
I haven't the slightest idea how to work with frames. I tried to steal the code off of some sites a long time ago, and it still didn't work. I cut and pasted the entire page diractly, got the frame but had not controll over it.

You have to keep in mind, I know next to nothing about what I'm doing, and I just sort of figure someting out a bit at a time as I go along.

Anyone know any good tutorial pages on useng frames?

TkdWarrior
02-09-2003, 07:49 AM
w3schools.com is one of good HTML/DHTML/XML resource u'll find some good info RD.
-TkdWarrior-