PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have faced up to Western ma or other styles??

NorthernMantis
02-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Ok a spinoff the other thread :D but for you traditional types how many have face western ma?

I've only faced a couple, to which I found very interesting. No I'm not thinking of switchin over.

I've sparred againts boxing,somewhere around begginer and intermediate level, highschool wrestling and some type of wrestling which might be highschool wrestling but I'm not sure about it. My friend knew traditional muay Thai ( not gloved kickboxing) but he moved before we ever got to sparr.

I wanted to spar a judoka friend of mines to see what it was about but we never got together. I've also traded hands with a ouple of other Chinese styles. I got schooled at times but it was a good experience and fun to:) .

One thing that I learned about sparring other styles is that it's really fun because it forces you to use what you know under different circumstances.

What about you guys? I know some of you do a lot of sparring and stuff with other styles.

carly
02-08-2003, 04:24 PM
I played around with some western wrestlers from a college team, and they tied me in knots - they usually know ALL the stuff, not just the sport techniques. I've sparred with a few boxers and most of them were superb. Anyone who trains realisticly with a partner on a regular basis like these guys is something to contend with.

shaolin kungfu
02-09-2003, 01:52 AM
I spar regularly with a wrestler/boxer. I usually lose, but on ocassion i do beat him.

apoweyn
02-10-2003, 08:04 AM
coming from an FMA background, i've sparred with fencers and boxers. essentially, i didn't find the experience all that different from sparring other asian styles. geography doesn't really enter into it, to my mind.

stuart b.