PDA

View Full Version : Shek Kin

buddhapalm
02-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Can anyone provide more light on the early training history of Shek Kin ?

Which Chin Woo Association branch did he practice in ?

Was it the same branch as the one Sun Yuk Fung taught in (as Sun was one of his teachers) ?

How could I ask Shek Kin some questions about the curriculum taught in that Chin Woo branch ?

Does anyone on this forum have access to Shek Kin to pass on some of my questions for my research ?

I would like to ask specifically what forms he learnt from Sun Yuk Fung.

Also what was the curriculum of the Chin Woo at that branch at that time.

These are a few of my questions.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

teleka@pacbell.net

JAZA
02-08-2003, 08:07 PM
BP I just only know that the Lee Koon Hung Assoc. people have relations with Ms. Shek Kin.
www.leekoonhungkungfu.com

buddhapalm
02-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks Jaza, I just sent them an e-mail.

Cheers my friend

Buddhapalm

NorthernShaolin
02-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Buddhapalm,

This is what Great Grand Master Li told me (before he passed away recently) about his classmate, Shek Kin.

Shek Kin was born in Honk Kong in 1912 and his parents died when he was young. His uncle was entrusted to the task of raising and caring him. Shek Kim was prone to sickness and with the slightest drop in temperature, would result in a cold. His uncle took him to a kung fu club and after several months, his health improved. At the age of 13, Shek Kin took a keen interest in KF and it became a way of life for him. He had different teachers: Chao Lin Ho (Jing Mo Head Instructor in Shanghai), who taught NSL, Li Lien Ch'uan who taught wrestling techniques of Pao Ting style from Hopei Provence, Chao Kuei Lin, who taughtShangtung Praying Mantis and Eagle Claw styles, Wang Yung Feng, who taught Chao Yuan style which was popular in Kiangsi Provence and also taught saber and a hidden weapon called the Piao. Sun Yu Fung who taught NSL Lo Han and Tu Cheng Sheng who taught SL.

In his early teens, Shek Kin was know to cross paths with a well known fighter, Lui Lung San. Skek Kin won the fight.

While he was learning under Sun Yu Fung, he became close friends with Yip Sui (Cantonese) and, together, both were known as "The two little lions of Hung Hom" which is a district in the Kowloon peninsula. His NSL Lo Han was so impressive that he, along with Li Hon Chia (GGM Li), and Shiu Hon Sang, became one of the 13 disciples of Sun Yu Fung's Lo Han.

His later life entered the movie business where it started out as a make-up artist. He became a stage actor during WW II and steatly climbed until he became a leading star in many KF movies. He appeared in over 800 movies and is most well known for his role in the Wong Fei Hung films. Of couse here in the USA and the Western part of the world, he known as the 'baddie' in Enter the Dragon movie.

buddhapalm
02-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks NorthernShaolin,
What a detailed response.

I am curious about the style called Chao Yuan. I have never heard of this one.

Do you know what kind of Shaolin, Tu Cheng Sheng taught ?

Most importantly was all of this learning ( from the different teachers) done in the Jing Mo Association ?

I wonder how much NSL Lohan he learned from Sun Yu Fung ?

I wonder where Sun Yu Fung was teaching when Shek Kin learned from him ? Hong Kong ? Canton ?

I would really like to be able to talk with Shek Kin in Hong Kong one day soon.

Thank you again for your valuable insights and historical backgrounds.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

NorthernShaolin
02-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Buddhapalm,

It is my understanding that Skek Kim completed his studies under SYF in Canton.

I really do not know what Tu Cheng Sheng taught, except that it was Shaolin. Assuming if it was northern, then it would be spoken as such. So therefore my guess it was southern.

After SYF, Shek Kin went to visit other masters and continiue his studies. At the Jing Mo school where SYF taught, there were at least two southern masters, Li Bun Si (Cantonese) who taught Hung Fist, and the head southern master was Hung Cheong (Cantonese).

I have to go back and look at the Chinese Characters for Chao Yuan style then cross reference it to tell you more ablout it.

From what I hear, Shek Kim is still alive but is confined to his bed. He cannot move around too well.

The last of many Dragons are fading away. :( :(

Young Mantis
02-11-2003, 11:38 PM
There was a discussion of Master Shek Kin's martial education in the Northern Praying Mantis forum. You can either search that forum for "shek kin" or go to this link:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=17269&highlight=shek+kin