PDA

View Full Version : Off to war

SanHeChuan
02-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Yep I’ve joined the Marines. So I’m leaving for basic tomorrow. In about thirteen weeks I’ll let you know what the Hand to hand combat training is like. In case you didn’t know the Marines started their own martial arts program about two years ago, every one that comes out of boot camp is qualified for the first rank of Tan (?) After that continued training is optional. I think the ranks go tan, gray, green, brown, and 6 degrees of black. I still hope there is some good Kung fu off base were ever I get stationed though. My MOS school for Nuclear, biological and chemical something or other training will be in Missouri. Missouri where the **** is Missouri, is that even a state. :D I hope they mean some place in Russia because Missouri sucks. Luckily I'll only be there for 9 weeks because they probably don't even have a TKD school in that state yet. :p

qeySuS
02-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Good job, i hope you have fun.

Btw i read a H2H combat manual for the army somewhere, it looked like a BJJ guide :) Had keylocks and other submissions from the ground.

dnc101
02-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Siemper Fidelis, and good luck!

It used to be Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Warfare School, but that was many years ago when I was in. So it might have changed by now.

I wouldn't get your expectations too high on the KF training. It's good that they do that now, but the main focus of the military is superior firepower and tactics, and these days technology. And you'll probably find that a lot of your fellow jar-heads aren't really into serious martial arts. But you should be able to find some serious ma's to work and train with.

Again, best of luck to you.

BrentCarey
02-09-2003, 03:16 AM
Good luck, and have fun.

I'll just warn you. The H2H training is a joke. It is designed to make you feel like you could defend yourself so you will be more confident in battle and more likely to take a chance if it comes down to H2H (like for escaping capture).

I can say this because I used to teach H2H for the military. Granted, I was training special operations and civilian law enforcement for specific missions, so my program was a bit different. In fact, I had the flexibility to be able to teach kung fu instead of the handbook garbage.

I had my share of contact with the Marines though. You will get a few hours here and there. You can train on your own and become proficient, but don't expect a great instructor.

My recommendation - find a competent and generous instructor in the style of your choice. Load up with skills and knowledge as quickly as possible, and try to become self-sufficient as early as possible. This way, no matter where you go, you don't have to disrupt your training.

SevenStar
02-09-2003, 03:32 AM
Good luck man. Post when you get back and let us know how you're doing. I posted a thread several months ago about MACMAP - the MA program you're talking about. yeah, they have a ranking progression, and you will learn basic locks, throws, strikes, etc. You will have the opportunity to get your tan by the end of boot camp, and can continue to grey and beyond after you get out. My friend is loving it, and he's learning alot - he's got a grey belt right now. They have a standardized curriculum, which I alos posted, but I think that also will still vary depending on who's training you. my friend is learning more judo/bjj type stuff than anything else right now. You also may have access to a boxing ring and some classes (not in boot camp, after)

SanHeChuan
05-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Well I made it through boot camp and got my tan belt. So far the MCMAP program is boring and personally very remedial. It was very San Shou-ish, the foot work and basic body mechanics were what I had learned in San Shou. I’m just glad that it was more like the kung fu I’d learned rather than tae kwon do or something that I couldn’t relate to. I’m looking forward to seeing what else the program has to offer, but for now here is a list of what I was taught.

Basic warriors stance (The only stance. Iit was a slightly different or poorly taught version of the san shou stance that I was taught)

Lead hand punch
Strong hand punch
Finger Jab (Lead hand, five fingers to the eyes)
Upper Cut
Horizontal Hammer Fist (Strong Hand)
Vertical Hammer Fist (High to Low)
Horizontal Elbow (Rear Hand)
Vertical Elbow (Low to High)
Knee (Rear Leg)
Front Kick (low)
Round House (low)

Basic Blood Choke
Figure Four Variation
Arm Bar Take Down
Leg Sweep Take Down

Counter to the Bear Hug
Counter to the Head Lock
Counter to the Stupid Man Choke

Counter to the Strong Hand Punch
Counter to the Front Kick

Body Hardening

There may be a little bit more?

joedoe
05-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Good to hear things are going well. Take care.

Radhnoti
05-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Thanks for your service to our country SHC. Glad things are going well. Take care.

Becca
05-15-2003, 10:47 PM
It's nice to here the hand to hand training has improved in the last ten years. What I got was a joke. have fun in the state of Missery:) You will probably be able to find something there, but you won't have much time for real training. There are usually lots of places to choose from once you fit the fleet, but beware the bozos who think they can fight good and can teach it better. They will be the ones who use some abandoned building on base 'cause thier Gunny said they could.

Budokan
05-16-2003, 08:31 AM
Go Marines! Let us hear how you're doing....

SevenStar
05-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Yeah, the curriculum must vary - my friend is doing more chin na and throwing/ground grappling than striking. He's also got access to a bixing ring, and they are taught to box.

SaMantis
05-16-2003, 09:19 AM
There are usually lots of places to choose from once you fit the fleet, but beware the bozos who think they can fight good and can teach it better. They will be the ones who use some abandoned building on base 'cause thier Gunny said they could.

Yeah, those bozos who think they can fight are usually Air Force types. ;)

(ow, don't hit me, ow ow ow) :D