PDA

View Full Version : Eating for size and strength + training

Rolling Elbow
02-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Still on the injured list so I've been doing tons of reading.. (finally have an appointment with sports physiotherapist/chiropracters center tomorrow)

Here is the deal. I've read tons of stuff from the hardgainers archives on frequency of training etc.. I think maybe I over trained in the past. I am a huge fan of the all in one body workout. However, I've come to see that alternating something like a 2 program weekly scheme would be more benneficial:

Mon Workout #1
Wed Workout #2
Fri Workout #1

------------------------
(next week)

Mon Workout #2
Wed Workout #1
Fri Workout #2

I've found that everytime i work my calves with 5 strict sets of raises and stretching, the pain is only really leaving them on the 5th day! Quads always take a few days as do hamstrings. Even if you are only doing 3-4 intense sets each workout for those parts, they still remain sore. So, perhaps we do overtrain? Even those of us who don't spend 2 hours each time at the gym STILL overtrain because of the frequency with which we attack each body part. Sure, you only do 3 sets of flat bench each workout.., its still 3 times a week!

PART II

How about nutrition. I am not suggesting we go through the usual menu here. What I want to know is how many people have eaten for size and not had too much of the excess flab accompany it? Seems to me you'd have to find the right balance of intake vs. what your muscles need to grow for you to gain size without too much of the excess. In my case , It is the legs that I need growth on. I am naturally all leg. The upper body responds well to training, legs are bloody slow. Before I was injured, I was making gains through squats and deadlifts. I'd like to continue making gains, but understand that the body can only gain soo much if it has no building blocks. So who here as successfully combined a foundation for size eating with actual growth? How about some mistaked you made which resulted in spare tires and virtually no gains?

TaoBoy
02-09-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm trying to gain some size at the moment but I'm not going about it in any crazy fashion - ie no "GET BIG QUICK' diet.

I train 3 days a week (something like this):

Day 1 - chest, triceps, calves, abs
Day 2 - shoulders, quads, hamstrings, traps
Day 3 - back, biceps, forearms, abs

I eat 5-6 meals a day. No carbs at night. A lot of protein.

Check out www.skinnyguy.net.

Rolling Elbow
02-09-2003, 04:43 PM
How is it working for ya?

How many sets per body part in each workout?

TaoBoy
02-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
How is it working for ya?

How many sets per body part in each workout?

Well I've been going to the gym inconsistently for about 6 months. This is my first attempt at serious weight training. The food plan is working well for me. I feel good and am not hungry. The weight program is going well too. I feel that I am getting some shape already. My weight remains unchanged. But, it's only week 2!

I do 2 sets of 10 reps of each exercise (except abdominals). I will do this for fours weeks. The next four weeks it's 2 sets of 8 reps. Then 2 sets of 6 reps for another four weeks. Then I will assess my progress and play around with my routine.

FYI - I am using the following supplements:

whey powder
creatine stack
flaxseed oil
multi-vitamin
anti-oxidant
meal replacement powder
natural nutrient powder

Peace.