PDA

View Full Version : Alternate names of Taiji

Tainan Mantis
02-09-2003, 04:39 PM
On the main forum on a post about Pigua Chuen Shaolin Master said that Mien(cotton) Chuen is another name for Taiji Chuen.
Has anyone else heard this?
Have you heard any other Taiji alternate names?
I ask this because Cotton Palm is listed as one of the styles that make up my Mantis style.
Also I have heard that old Tong Bei manuscript matches exactly one old Taiji form?
Any one heard about this?

Repulsive Monkey
02-10-2003, 05:32 AM
It was never referred to as Cotton Palm but just Cotton boxing and then before that it Chang chuan (Long boxing). There ism plenty of debate as to when the term Taiji was first used, and I'm sure there are others who could give a more considered answer to you, however I'm reminded of the Tao Te Ching where it says " The Tao that can be named is not the true Tao". Similarly " Those speak of the Tao do not know it, those who know thw Tao do not speak of it". It's easy to get held up on the technical and historical aspects of one's art but the most important thing is if the principles innate, are correct. No need of anymore of a guarantee than that really.

RAF
02-10-2003, 06:14 AM
I am unaware of any reference to taiji being referred to as Cotton boxing although there is a loose translation of it producing a "steel wrapped in cotton" body characteristic.

The two referenced names I have found regarding taiji prior to its name of formal naming of taijiquan are:

ruan (soft) boxing
hua (dissolving) boxing

TkdWarrior
02-10-2003, 09:12 AM
i hav heard hao chuan which translates into loose boxing...
u should ask Jarek www.chinafrominside.com
he hav cottom plum boxing in his store he could provide u more info with that style.
-TkdWarrior-

Repulsive Monkey
02-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Surely Hua should be correctly translated as transformation, as is the word Hua in chinese.
For cotton boxing references and, I think, a few others try looking at Douglas Wile's Taiji secrets of the late Ching Dynasty.
This is just one single source, I think Master Jou Tsung-hwa's Tao of Tai Chi chuan also brings up a few names it has gone under in the past from Zhang San Feng onwards.

Brad
02-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Mian Quan(cotton boxing) is a seperate system isn't it? Maybe there was some relation way back when though. The only other names I've heard for Taijiquan is Shadow boxing, and Changquan(before it was called taiji in Chen villiage)

RAF
02-10-2003, 08:36 PM
How about this one?

Tai Chi 5 Elements Tonbei Fist was created at the end of Qing Dynasty & establishment of Republic of China, about 100 years ago, by master Ce Chuang. The power of Tonbei Fist is originated at heels. Energy goes up from our bottom body passing through our back to arms & hands, so it is called "Tonbei" meaning "passing through our back". This program concentrates on Practical Sanshou in which 30 movements of Sanshou would be shown. People briefly describes this routine: "Hands are hard as steel; Wrists are soft as cotton; Arms are flexible as belts; Fists are fast as falling stars; Body is smooth as snake."
Price: US$29.99
Item Code: TCTB02
Tai Chi 5 Elements TonBei Fist:
Practical Sanshou (5)

Tai Chi 5 Elements Tonbei Fist
VCD Series
by Zhang, Ji Zong
About performer: Zhang is 3nd generation inheritor of Tai Chi 5 Elements Tonbei Fist.
BUY IT NOW! Click Here!
BACK TO INDEX

Tai Chi 5 Elements TonBei Fist:
Attacking Tachniques & Sanshou (2)
Item Code: TCTB01
Price: US$13.99

Price: US$19.99
Item Code: TCTB03
Item Code: TCTB04
Tai Chi 5 Elements TonBei Fist: Fundamental (3)
Tai Chi 5 Elements TonBei Fist: Linked Sanshou (2)
New Item !!
New Item !!

Item Code: TCTB05
Tai Chi 5 Elements TonBei Fist: Mustang Fist (2)
New Item !!

RAF
02-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah, one more!

Mian Palm (Cotton Palm) VCD
by Master Qiao, Xiu Chuan
About Performer: Master Xiu Chuan Qiao is now a commette member of Beijing Wushu Association and the Chairman of Mian Plam Wushu Club.

Ni Hong Sword
This sword form was created based on practical usage. It emphasizes agile footwork and straight forward movements.
Applications of Mian Palm Fanzi Fist
Selections of important attacking techniques of Mian Palm & Mian Palm Fanzi Fist.
Demonstration of Mian Palm Fanzi FIst & Weapon Routines
Demonstration on Mian Palm 5th Routine, Mian Palm Fanzi 5th Routine, & selected weapons routines.
5th Routine Part 2:
7 Landing Stars
Diverse footworks and speedy attack. Useful in combact. Common footwork: Horse, Empty, Bow, Ding; Common palm methods: Cut, Hold, Carry, Push.
5th Routine Part 1:
Nan Len Pa Da
Diverse Body works and powerful movements. Horse & Empty footwork are the major footworks. Major hand methods include Fist, Palm, Hook, & Cut.
4th Routine Part 2: Pigua
Movements of this routine are small & short using a little space. Major leg methods: Pigua Continous Leg, Gua Leg, Ru Kicking, & Jia Kicking.
3rd Routine Part 1:
Pi Xin (Heart-rending) Palm
Hand methods include: Bazhi hand, Diu hand, Hook hand, & Dei Hand. It's an outstanding & practical routine for combact.
1st Routine Part 1:
Mian (Cotton) Palm
Mian palm is a fast, hard, & accurate wushu. Featuring fast two hands cross-rotating & fast power release.
2nd Routine Part 2:
Following (the) Hand
1st Routine Part 2: 5 Flower Cannon
2nd Routine part 1: 5 Flower Hammer
A simple & clear routine with diverse body methods & fast hand methods. Body always following the hand is its characteristic. Major hand methods: Rub, Split, Diu, & Cut.
Routines are short and small-space-usage. Practical & Outstanding for fighting. Major footworks: Horse, Bow, Empty, & Corss. Horse footwork uses the most; Major hand methods: Fist, Palm, Hook, & Cut.
3rd Routine Part 2: Ji Bu Hammer
4th Routine Part 1: Chiue Zhi Kick
A fast & smooth routine. Major hand methods: Fist, Palm, Hook, & DeiLeg methods: Continous Leg, Zhi Kick, & Hurricane Leg; Footworks: Horse, Empty, Bow, Ji, & Qilin.

Shaolin Master
02-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Mian Zhang in those VCDs refers to a style of Hebei of which its full name is Mian Zhang Duan Da (Cotton Palm Short Strike). We never used the Mian Zhang name because we call the style 'Duan Quan"...... Mian Zhang originated from the sets names...which are also different to those presented above :
eg : Duan Da Mian Sha Zhang is the first set, Dai Dang Pi Xin Zhang is the third etc.....

There also a style referred to as Mian Quan .....though the name was expressed in an old taiji manual of the southern taiji school of thought (Wudang, FuShi, Emei etc) rather than northern (Typical Chen,ZhaoBao,Yang etc...).

Rgds