PDA

View Full Version : weapon form

mtod1
02-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi all. ;+)

I'd like to learn a weapons form for competition. Since I haven't done a weapons form before I'd like to know what you guys/gals think would be the easiest to start with. I realize WC has the D-pole and B-knives but I would rather learn something else right now.

thanx for your input
seeya

t_niehoff
02-10-2003, 05:13 AM
mtod1 wrote:

I'd like to learn a weapons form for competition. . . I'd like to know what you guys/gals think would be the easiest to start with. I realize WC has the D-pole and B-knives but I would rather learn something else right now. M

Good idea -- if "form competition" is your interest I'd suggest you learn something else besides WCK (WCK forms aren't for show). TN

Terence

reneritchie
02-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Wushu's definately the way to go for spectacular. Waxwood staff is nice and flowery, and simple way to start. Tinfoil sword and/or saber follows that up nicely. Later three-section staff can be hot and noisy, and then there's rope dart, 9-section steel whip...

Matrix
02-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by reneritchie
Wushu's definately the way to go for spectacular. No doubt about that! Wushu, need I say good wushu, is sensational with a lot of dramatic flair.

Matrix

yuanfen
02-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Ahem- you can be innovative- take the bjd's learn how to twirl them- throw them in the air catch em-run and jump with them- juggle em and end witha might split with both weapons coming down on the sides witha mighty call...name your form-"the wild bird sings the message of the Tao". Will get you killed in real life- but- you asked!

reneritchie
02-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Matrix - When I was younger and (somewhat) spryer, and training Wushu, I tried both the 3-section staff and the rope-dart (though not at the same time). I thought the bruises on my head and shins, and the ligatures around my throat, would never fade ;)

Yuanfen - Might get a job in cirque du soleil!

Matrix
02-10-2003, 08:35 PM
I thought the bruises on my head and shins, and the ligatures around my throat, would never fade ;) I bet you had a great time explaining them to people.
Hey, why is Rene wearing a turtle-neck sweater when it's 35º outside? :D

Stevo
02-11-2003, 12:11 AM
I bet you had a great time explaining them to people.

LOL. We usually blame it on the mosquitoes here.

My Sifu lent me a video which was interesting - a true story about an American guy who went to China to teach English and learnt a flashy pole and sword form from a Master of some style of Kung Fu (or Wushu?) while he was there. They didn't mention what style it was or if they did I missed it. I think the guy's name might have been Mark Salzman (the actual guy in the story who also acted as himself in the film), but I might be wrong. Anyway mtod1 if you can get hold of the video you might find it interesting and it's a pretty good story too.

Stevo
02-11-2003, 09:40 AM
...oops, it wasn't a pole form he learnt in that film, it was a big longhandled axe that he often practised with a broom. Good circus/kung fu movie type stuff anyway.

reneritchie
02-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Matrix - Did and still do. We just blame it on the chicks!

Stevo - Iron & Silk with Pan Qinfu. Pan moved to Canada (Toronto) a decade or so ago. I think the movie was rather romanticized, but it hopefully helped to raise the profile of CMA a bit. And yes, it was Wushu, specifically Pan's flavor of it.

Matrix
02-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Matrix - Did and still do. We just blame it on the chicks! Rene, As long as you're not hanging out on St. Lawrence St. ;)

Matrix

reneritchie
02-11-2003, 11:59 AM
St. Lawrence St

Only the parts that intersect Chinatown (or, for those of you who know MTL, Chinacoupleofblocks. BTW- Ici on parle St. Laurent ;)

Matrix
02-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Only the parts that intersect Chinatown (or, for those of you who know MTL, Chinacoupleofblocks. BTW- Ici on parle St. Laurent ;) Comme la Fleuve? ;)
A rose by any other name................

A la prochaine,
Matrix

old jong
02-11-2003, 03:39 PM
La rue Saint Laurent!....
It use to be called "La main" and was the "Red light " center in the good old days of Montreal.
I live in the " Pointe aux Trembles " east end of Montreal's island. Far away from this place.

Matrix
02-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by old jong
La rue Saint Laurent!....
It use to be called "La main" and was the "Red light " center in the good old days of Montreal.
I live in the " Pointe aux Trembles " east end of Montreal's island. Far away from this place. Old Jong, The Main has some pretty good smoked meat as well. Your reference to the red light district was why I made the comment to Rene in the first place. :p

Matrix