PDA

View Full Version : An article in Mens Fitness

Kungfu boy
02-10-2003, 07:12 AM
Hey Guys,

There is an article in Mens Fitness I wanna run by you. I;ll give you an overview of their idea for a work out with involves 5 days straight of exercise followed by 2 rest days.

Day1
quads,hamstrings,glutes,abs

Day2
30 minutes jumping rope

Day 3
deltoids,pecs,trapezius,abs

Day4
30 minutes on a treadmill

Day5
triceps,biceps,abs

Day 6&7
Rest

Now here's my question. It says you work with a weight that causes you to fail near or at the assigned reps. If you train to failure on this program, do you think it will yield results. I ask this because they only have you working one part of you body once a week. I usually work my bicep/triceps 2-3 times a week etc. I just thought I'd ask because I think that I may be over training by working the same muscles too often. I know alot of the stuff that comes out of these magazines are somewhat questionable but I thought it posed a interesting question to my current lack of results.

Thanks All

Thanks

Mr. Bao
02-10-2003, 08:30 AM
KB:

If you tried anything new in your training, you will gain results. I personally dont like premade cookie cutter workout and I'm certainly more skeptical of the information that comes from certain public pop heath and fitness articles.

My personal views and goals in my own health and fitness is far removed from mere form or the body building culture. To those who want to chase the ideal male form built on cover star models I say good for them. Me, I choose something more pleasing to my heart. I am 26 years old now and I have been involved in health and martial culture since I was 16 and have realized that I want a stronger and more functional body than a six pack or huge biceps. Have made some mistakes long the way, but now I look at the long term picture and try to do small things daily to improve my overall performance.

KB, do the men's fitness workout and try it for 2 months and dont worry about overtraining. Overtraining is bit relative and wont kill ya if you just started training. If "form" is your aim, your form will change by doing this new workout. Best of luck.

IronFist
02-10-2003, 10:31 AM
If you can hold a Men's Fitness with your arms outstretched and rip through the entire magazine in one motion, you have a decent grip :)

Basically it looks like they just took a standard split like this:

Day1: chest/tri/delts
Day2: back/bi/forearm
Day3: Legs

and put days of running in between.

Wait I take that back. I don't see lats or back anywhere in their routine. Boo.

It's decent in the sense that it's better than nothing. But don't forget your back.

Did they mention which exercises to do or not?

IronFist

rubthebuddha
02-10-2003, 02:14 PM
kungfuboy:

be careful. posting anything about men's health or men's fitness is one of the surest ways to get smacked around here. i think the general level of faith most on this forum put in those magazines is equivalent to how much they stock in most personal trainers. :D

i think bao is right -- those cookie-cutter workouts in such magazines, most of which are titled "best dāmn workout ever," are usually the best dāmn workout they heard in passing down at gold's gym last thursday. sadly, if you pay attention to the big two -- men's health and men's fitness -- you'll noticed that they'll cover the same ideas as each other usually within a month or two. see an article on swedish balls in MH? it'll be in MF next month. honestly, the majority of what these magazines do is pander to the current trends, while promoting a workout plan that rarely changes from one issue to the next, one year to the next.

Mr. Bao
02-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Rubber:

Greetings wing chun brother. I hope your new year was good. I totally agree with you on your view. But let cowboy kung fu do his thing and I am sure he will find what works for him and what doesn't. Personally, I am tired of fighting the media and their misinformation and fads. I wish people can see thro the bs myself.

Rubber, I am a personal trainer. I can say my ideas and knowledge is slightly different than your average personal trainer. LoL. I do understand why most people think most PTs are retards; I am guilty of this too and have complained about the many retards I've worked with and have argued many theories with them just like in wing chun, LoL.

My general advice is to make sure the PT isn't your average bear and try to listen to what he or she have to say. Who knows what wisdom or information you might get? Who knows you might me a dude like me? LoL.

Kungfu boy
02-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Okay Guys lets clear some stuff up.

Like I said I know that the stuff that comes from these mags are questionable and mostly BS. All I asked was "If I were to train to failure on this program( in which I'd be working only certian muscles once a week) would it yield results? Right now I have limitted time to spend at the gym so I want to figure out a routine that can be the best for me with time constraints. Thats All!

It did give certian exercises, and it did include lat and back stuff. Sorry I didn't put it in, I was typing the message on about 3 hrs sleep in the past 72 hrs.

I am researching various workouts right now to se whats best for me. I just thought I'd get some input from the pople here. I learned my lesson......

Mr. Bao
02-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Kung Fu Cowboy:

I am glad you learned your lesson. I have told you before to follow the men fitness's cookie cutter program. Yes, you will gain something because it is new. Training to failure aint bad for gaining muscle mass, but it requires you to rest 2 to four days to recover between workouts.

KC, I've even told someone else here to let you follow your path and allow your experience to show you your own path. By the way, I would also advise that females readers too also follow the wisdom of relationship knowledge in mags as well. No harm there?

In the end of the day, just do it. And forget the nay sayers and haters. You decide in the end what works and what doesn't, who cares what the bloody internet experts say!!!!!! LoL. F#@$ them and Follow your bliss, friend.