PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Weapons

marcoma
02-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi everybody, I'm wondering how many of you have experience with weapon forms other than the usual pole and butterfly knife forms.

Are there any lineages that have forms which utilise other weapons?

Is it accurate to say that originally Wing Chun started as not having any weapon forms?

anerlich
02-10-2003, 02:30 PM
TWC has a basic but sound nunchaku form, which purportedly William Cheung learned when he and an Okinawan practitioner agreed to swap a few bits and pieces.

The WWCKFA used to require its higher level practitioners to learn a weapon other than the traditional WC weapons and develop a form for it. My Sifu, Rick Spain, chose double sticks and, though he left the WWCKFA in 1996, we still practice that form.

A number of branches have incorporated training with Filipino or combative weapons as well.

I have also heard of some lineages training with darts and similar throwing weapons.

burnsypoo
02-10-2003, 02:43 PM
one of my sije got into the throwing darts, letting them go through little snap movements a-la wc (bong sau etc..). Not as part of our curiculum proper, just for her own interest and growth. Got pretty accurate with them from what I hear.

sagasa
02-18-2003, 08:24 PM
After training in wing chun, I commenced training in the Filipino martial art arnis/eskrima. The approach to edged and impact weapons is very realistic and practical as the art has been constantly tested in combat. Remember a weapon is merely an extension of the hand.

anerlich
02-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Remember a weapon is merely an extension of the hand

I agree to a point (no pun intended), as far as offense goes. Though hitting with an impact weapon is different from cutting with a knife, as the knife does not require the same power or velocity to cause damage. Though "stabbing" is the same, more or less.

Defensively, I disagree. Some WC techniques such as bil sao and garn sao, which work fine against someone trying to punch you, will get your arms sliced to ribbons if you try them against someone wielding an edged weapon.

I've done some FMA-based training myself. I like it too.

yuanfen
02-18-2003, 10:12 PM
FWIW- when one develops wing chun hands and experience with
with chun weapons- other weapons and weapons "forms" are easier to learn. But you have to understand "the character"(weight, balance point etc) of the weapon- so you dont cut yourself or clobber yourself. A wing chun brother is very good with nun chucks and three sectional staff... a wing chun elder sister is superb with broadsword and straight sword.

Phil Redmond
02-18-2003, 10:24 PM
TWC also has a cylindrical (sp)? 10 inch wooden rod called the Butterfly Rod and a weapon called the Iron Pen , Tit Bat.
Phil

Stevo
02-19-2003, 06:13 AM
...and a weapon called the Iron Pen

How would that go against a sword?

Tit Bat.

Only girls use them!

Stevo

Phil Redmond
02-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey Stevo,
Wing Chun, girls style........nah.
Don't quit your day job..hahaha.

The Iron Pen is the counter weapon to the BJD. There is a hook on it to trap the Do.
Phil

old jong
02-19-2003, 11:46 AM
!0 inches rod...O.K. Phil ,I believe you!...;) ;) ;) (Ahem!)

But more on the human (**** sapiens as opposed to **** erectus)...side; Wing Chun weapons tend to develop a lot of body unity so, their practice can turn the body into an other weapon.

;)

Phil Redmond
02-19-2003, 03:59 PM
Good puns...eh.
The Butterfly "stick", (I'm afraid to use the other word for fear of an incoming pun), has the advantage of being legal to carry in most places.
Phil

sagasa
02-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Of course when applying the stick and the knife there are differences. When a student trains the stick/cane/baston they are taught to treat it like a sword. This enforces ''blade awareness'' from the very early stages of combat. Thus when training in the knife is commenced, the student generally has very little difficulty in adapting. :D

Anerlich made a very valid point in regards to some wing chun techniques being used against a knife wielding attacker. It is important to remember that regardless of who you are facing... the chances are you will be cut. Many of the wing chun empty hand techniques work very well against an unarmed opponent. But when they are applied against knife attacks, it is a different story. I would like to add pak sau to ones already memtioned by
Anerlich.

russellsherry
02-20-2003, 04:39 PM
i completely aggree with sasggasa with stick and blade how can you pak sau that you have to be on your game the pole ete
is for tradion not modern times russell sherry

Xiao3 Meng4
02-20-2003, 09:28 PM
What types of training methodologies are out there when it comes to weapons applications training? I've heard of chi gwun - are there any clubs that practice Chi Do? What kind of equipment is used?

I've only ever played with weapons outside of a formal training environment... looking for and trying to maintain the initiative with a partner and broomsticks.

Short of Dog Brothers-style sparring, what other weapons training methods are being practiced in Wing Chun these days, and in what modalities? Unarmed vs. LDBG? Unarmed vs. BJD? BJD vs LDBG? BJD vs BJD? LDBG vs LDBG? BJD or LDBG vs. other weapons? Firearms? Firearm-defense?

Xiao3 Meng4