PDA

View Full Version : Taiko & MA.

Laughing Cow
02-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Hi All.

I have been for a long time a friend of Asian music Instrumetns and thus have recently started to take "Taiko"(Japanese Drum) lessons.

Still doing basics on the smaller drums.
:D

What I find interesting that a lot of the requirements are similar to my MA studies.
I think that doing taiko will benefit my MA and vice versa.
We use a lot of horse stance, rounded movements,weight shifting, etc during taiko practice.

Anybody else took some form of asian cultural art and found that it benefited their MA training.

joedoe
02-10-2003, 06:56 PM
No, MA are only for fighting, not for playing instruments with.

Besides, a timpani would choke out your little taikos :D

Laughing Cow
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
No, MA are only for fighting, not for playing instruments with.

Besides, a timpani would choke out your little taikos :D

So you don't use MA to impress and pick up chicks??

:eek: :eek:

David Jamieson
02-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Taiko is great to work out to also.

It's awesome stuff!

cheers

Laughing Cow
02-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Back on topic.

IMHO, the masters of old were better because they lived and breathed MA and applied it for EVERYTHING in their lifes.

Now in a modern day western based society this more difficult than in the olden days, but I think that by taking up a non-ma skill and apply those MA principles we can recover some.

That I think is also one of the reasons why certain non-ma skills were added during peace-time to MA.

Example:
The -Do principles in Japan during and after the Edo-period.

And I think similar things can be found in CMA, KMA, FMA , etc.

Just my opinion naturally.

Laughing Cow
02-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
Taiko is great to work out to also.

It's awesome stuff!

cheers

Agreed, plus drumming is hell of a workout on top of that.

joedoe
02-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

So you don't use MA to impress and pick up chicks??

:eek: :eek:

NOTHING can help me impress & pick up chicks :(

Back on topic - I try to incorporate my MA training into as much of my daily life as I can. If I could do my job in a horse stance I would.

Laughing Cow
02-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

NOTHING can help me impress & pick up chicks :(

Can't be all that bad, I managed to find a Wife.

Try less and it will happen.

Back on topic - I try to incorporate my MA training into as much of my daily life as I can. If I could do my job in a horse stance I would.

That is one of the reason for the taiko practice. Spending most of 2.5hrs in horse stance.

Xebsball
02-10-2003, 07:16 PM
MA certainly have improved my typing skills and my hability to communicate in english... its all kfo's fault

joedoe
02-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

Can't be all that bad, I managed to find a Wife.

Try less and it will happen.

That is one of the reason for the taiko practice. Spending most of 2.5hrs in horse stance.

Nah, it's not that bad anymore - I have had a steady GF for 4 years now. But before that my ugly head meant that I had a tough time.

I often cook in the kitchen in a horse stance because the benches are a little too low for me to stand up at them without getting a sore back. Good training :)

Chang Style Novice
02-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Tyco makes the BEST toy dump trucks! I'm not sure what they have to do with MA, though.

What?

Really?

Nevermind.

</Emily Litella>

SevenStar
02-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Taiko is awesome. I got to witness a very good taiko team at the Japanese festival two years ago. Never had any training in it, however. I did attend a few of the bonsai classes the festival sponsored and used to read alot about it, as I was interested in raising them. You can see MA principles in bonsai pruning

Laughing Cow
02-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Taiko is awesome. I got to witness a very good taiko team at the Japanese festival two years ago. Never had any training in it, however. I did attend a few of the bonsai classes the festival sponsored and used to read alot about it, as I was interested in raising them. You can see MA principles in bonsai pruning

Yes, I agree there.

I took a course a few years ago in how to make Bonsai from young Trees.

shaolin kungfu
02-11-2003, 06:37 AM
The japanese impart martial arts ideals into everything.Even bonsai is considered a martial art.