PDA

View Full Version : Some questions for Mantis108 about fajing

WanderingMonk
02-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi Mantis108,

I like to ask you some questions about what you wrote in the fajing thread from a while back (2002).

Chi Kua - lift the Pelvic

Twist the hips can not be done properly without lifting the pelvic. If done correctly, it will result in whirl the waist - amplifying power and putting the body behind the punch. This is included in the Sun Fa (method of the torso)

Using the "right cross" from boxing as the example. To execute the right cross, a boxer shifts his weight to the left foot, hence right pelvic is slightly raised/lifted.

Is this what you mean by lifting the pelvic?

If this is what you mean, isn't the boxer's balance some what compromised?

Also, is the key to fajing, "pivoting [on the hip] back and forth and side to side" ?

Last, "open and closing of the Kwa"? Would you mind explaining that?

Sorry about asking so many question.

Hope you can find the time to answer them.

thanks.

wm

mantis108
02-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Hi WanderingMonk,

<<<I like to ask you some questions about what you wrote in the fajing thread from a while back (2002).>>>

Thanks for question. That's been awhile. :)

<<<Chi Kua - lift the Pelvic

Twist the hips can not be done properly without lifting the pelvic. If done correctly, it will result in whirl the waist - amplifying power and putting the body behind the punch. This is included in the Sun Fa (method of the torso)

Using the "right cross" from boxing as the example. To execute the right cross, a boxer shifts his weight to the left foot, hence right pelvic is slightly raised/lifted.

Is this what you mean by lifting the pelvic?>>>

The boxing lifting the pelvis as you described here is different from what I was trying to come across.

The way you describe it happens with a type of "falling step" in boxing terminology I believe. In that case, it is quite powerful and has its own merits. But that's not orthodox Kung Fu fajing IMHO. Having said that falling step can also be found in a few CMA styles (ie Baji). Except that in Kung Fu the falling step would not be done with sideway pelvic lift. There are 2 reason not to do the sideway lift in Kung Fu. 1) if done poorly, it will dissipate the power generated from the root. 2) It will throw the exponent off balance; hence, render him vulnerable for a takedown counter which is what boxing rule prohibits but a reality in Kung Fu fighting.

Having addressed this, I will clarify by saying that the pelvis lift is referred to tucking in the tail bone so that it is pointing towards the ground. This detail is usually addressed by experienced Sifus right on the very first day in stance work.

<<<If this is what you mean, isn't the boxer's balance some what compromised? >>>

Great observation. I think I have addressed that above.

<<<Also, is the key to fajing, "pivoting [on the hip] back and forth and side to side" ?>>>

Fajing is holistic in nature. That means that all locality contributes to the whole. The end result is greater than the individual part's original input. While twisting at the hip is important, it is not the "key" per se. I hope I am make this point clear.

As for the pivoting, I think through out the whole process of fighting one would not "pivot" the plevis in general. You only twist it or turn it. Imagine a propeller of a outbroad motor. It only turns to create current as it is connected to the shaft (spine) but it doesn't "pivot" on the shaft. So that means the tucking in the tail bone is a "normal" position through out the process.

<<<Last, "open and closing of the Kwa"? Would you mind explaining that?">>>

Kwa is basically the area between the hip joint and the thigh right down to the knee. Some people includes the hip bone (pelvis) as well. Kwa is also divided into inner and outer categories. Basically, inner kwa is crotch to inside of the knee. Outer Kwa is hip bone to the outside of the knee. Closing and opening of the Kwa refers to making use of the torquing power of the 3 large groups of muscles of the body - the thigh, hamstring, and butt. Kwa is also a powerful tool in a grappling situation or in short strike situation. Anyway, it is a region where CMAist should capitalize on.

<<<Sorry about asking so many question.

Hope you can find the time to answer them.>>>

I welcome the chance for me to share my thoughts. I hope this is what you are looking for. Please feel free to post your questions, I will do my best to answer them.

<<<thanks>>>

You are most welcome. Talk to you again later. :)

Mantis108

WanderingMonk
02-12-2003, 06:49 PM
Hi Mantis108,

Let's see if I got this now.

By tailbone pointing to the ground, you mean the fighter is standing upright with a very slight forward arch. Which would move the tailbone pointing to the ground?
I am still slightly puzzle on that point b/c I don't know if tailbone actually moves or is it stationary.

Basically, you are describing the classical taji body movement principles. So, if I can correctly execute the silk-wheeling jin body-mechanic, I have mastered the correct outer three-harmonies.

then, I only need to master the internal three harmony to maximize power generation.

When use properly, 18 arhat gong can also be a set of drills which teaches the correct body mechanics.

sound right? :) Or did I take a left turn and end up in a ditch ??

thanks

wm

mantis108
02-12-2003, 07:28 PM
When the tail bone is in place it should maintain that position. So it is corrected that, IMHO, it doesn't move.

The body mechanics is similar to classical Taiji structure. So you are not far off the mark as I see it. Interesting that you brought up the 18 Lohan. I have seen it played with Chen style Taiji type of fajing. Needless to say it was an awesome eye opener. ;) So yes, the 18 Lohan Gong as I understand it is one of the most versatile form every created.

Regards

Mantis108