PDA

View Full Version : The Kwoon or the ring?

SevenStar
02-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Okay... we're hearing things like "The ring is not the street, so MMA can't prepare you for the street" and we're hearing "You don't train full contact at your kwoon, so you aren't being prepared for the street"

Let's list the pros and cons of each.
Kwoon:

possibly little or no contact sparring (note I said possibly - not all schools spar)
working on a regular basis with the same people in the same style
when you drill, it's not uncommon for your partner to "go with the technique" as opposed to resisting.
you can't train eye gouges, pressure points, etc. at full speed and contact
in general, no ground grappling
training with things like meteor hammers, melon hammers, etc - things you will not have available on the street

pros:
you learn alot of techniques
you become well rounded

The Ring:

pros:
you do get to fight full contact
you learn how to deal with full contact strikes
you are fighting a resisting opponent who will not let you work your techniques
evolution is encouraged
plenty of ground grappling
training in all ranges

cons:
limited number of techniques
*maybe* no weapons training

feel free to add whatever you wish, and please, keep it civilized...

ewallace
02-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Bumfights were the only "Reality Martial Arts" training of our time. Everyone should quit their style and immediately begin assulting homeless people to learn how to fight.

Water Dragon
02-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar

feel free to add whatever you wish, and please, keep it civilized...

I've something to add. You've been to my "Kwoon", hence you should know better :D

Royal Dragon
02-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Bumfights were the only "Reality Martial Arts" training of our time. Everyone should quit their style and immediately begin assulting homeless people to learn how to fight.

Reply]
And you actually believe that wasn't staged???

SevenStar
02-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

I've something to add. You've been to my "Kwoon", hence you should know better :D

generalizations bro, generalizations. :D This is based on recent threads here

SevenStar
02-11-2003, 11:53 AM
those bums were paid. I wish someone would pay me to assault the arse who thought of and filmed the "bum fights" they know these guys need food, so they say "okay, we'll give you 5.00 if you let us beat you up and film it" punks...

OdderMensch
02-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Kwoon

pros

qualified instruction
Safe enviroment for the devlopment of skill
planed progression of skill
people who are also trying to learn, therfore let you practice without ego getting in the way (as my Sifu says, you can't win a drill)
skilled sparing partners when sparing is usefull
everyone will tell you, and its obvoius when you are there, that it is not a 'intense real world' simulator, it's a room with carpet, so it's never mistaken for 'the street'

cons
saddly, sometimes people are jerks, and try to 'win' all the time
it's not as easy as it looks
people who make it look easy
the odd guy that thinks it is the street.

the Ring

cons

people who constantly telll you it is the street, the real world, as tough as it gets.
remakes of japanese films by Americans is bound to fail (oh wait wrong the Ring)
rounds
Gollum constantly after his prercious, but it's our's Bilbo gave it to us! (whoops, thats the One Ring)

pro

ring girls.

Water Dragon
02-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar

generalizations bro, generalizations. :D This is based on recent threads here

Yeah but...
Based on recent threads here you could generalize that there are 2 camps here on KFO.

The CMA camp is comprised of former high school losers who still cannot cope with life in the real world so they construct a fantasy world where they feel invincible.

The MMA camp is composed former high school bullies who have no life since graduating high school so they pick on their former prey, the CMA guys.

And that, my dear friend, makes you a loser who likes to pick on yourself! :eek:

MightyB
02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Give Me Your Lunch Money or ELSE!!!!

Suntzu
02-11-2003, 12:23 PM
Ring:
Pro: resisting opponent
Con: relativly safe environment… compared to the street
Pro: well-trained resisting opponent
Con: no wepons compared to the street
Pro: no weapons compared to the street
Con: no friends to jump in
Pro: no friends to jump in
Pro: resisting opponent wants to kick yo' azz just as much(maybe more) as you want to his
Pro: for the most part… no hard feelings after the fight

Kwoon:
Pro: much safer environment
Con: too safe when compared to the street/ring
Pro: safe[r] sparring
Con: 'friendly' sparring… while intense… is not as intense as the 'real' thing
Con: partners my not be,well, good

MightyB
02-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Give me your D@MN LUNCH MONEY!!!

Suntzu
02-11-2003, 12:33 PM
according to WD I'm in the MMA camp b!tch… so give me yours and take this swirly wit u…

OdderMensch
02-11-2003, 12:33 PM
ok, here it is, i keep in all in nickles, in this sock!

<wacks Mighty b upside head with sock full of nickles>

my moma gave me this lunch money beotch!

<kicks B for good measure>

MightyB
02-11-2003, 12:39 PM
You's keep it, cuz I know yo momma earned it planting tulips.

Two lips around my co[censored].

Suns-o-beitch, we's goin' now. Come on. [crowd gathers in hallway encircling us making an impromptu ring]

Water Dragon
02-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, this thread has been hijacked. Please remain seated and cooperate and nobody gets hurt. I promise ;)

Suntzu
02-11-2003, 12:49 PM
ring girls… definitely PRO…

Ring PRO: stressful situation…

This must be the terrorist attack that we were warned about ALLLL weekend :rolleyes:

Might B Gay… u don’t want none of this… hit me first watch what I'll do…

MightyB
02-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Odders at least earned it a knickel at a time... not like yours Sun poop... I paid her in pennies and chiclets.

[standing in the famous Karate Kid one legged stance] I'm gonna get traditional and kick yo aZZ!

MightyB
02-11-2003, 12:58 PM
You see Sun Poop, I had to give yo mamma the chiclets because yo momma's breath so stank, Saddam bottles her spit to use as a biological weapon.

Suntzu
02-11-2003, 01:20 PM
well… I woulda been yo daddy but the dog beat me over the fence and bit the other 5 dudes in the azz… ya momz so old she used to breast feed Helio…

MightyB
02-11-2003, 01:23 PM
so you f_c_d the dog instead... You's sick Sperm Tzu... It was a boy dog too.

Suntzu
02-11-2003, 01:27 PM
:D u got me........ like ya momz got da clap....

MightyB
02-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Only after she been wit yo daddy. :eek: :confused: :eek: :( :confused: :D ...:p

SevenStar
02-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

Yeah but...
Based on recent threads here you could generalize that there are 2 camps here on KFO.

The CMA camp is comprised of former high school losers who still cannot cope with life in the real world so they construct a fantasy world where they feel invincible.

The MMA camp is composed former high school bullies who have no life since graduating high school so they pick on their former prey, the CMA guys.

And that, my dear friend, makes you a loser who likes to pick on yourself! :eek:

I feel bad now :(

Hey, to make myself feel better, why don't we make a third camp - the high school losers who thoutght they were invincible because of CMA, but did MMA to find out otherwise, however they still train in and have respect for CMA? nah, that was way too long...

Mr Punch
02-12-2003, 06:18 AM
Homer voice

hmmm, ring girrrllllzzzz...