PDA

View Full Version : Leather or vinyl bag

lau gar
02-11-2003, 11:57 AM
Is it worth the extra money to get a leather bag instead of vinyl

Golden Arms
02-11-2003, 04:58 PM
YES...but either way, dont wear shoes with laces when you kick it, and wear some sort of bag glove and it will last a really long time :)

Mr. Bao
02-11-2003, 09:25 PM
I am cheap and practical. If I am just using a bag for crap like gym stuff and books, i would go for the cheap stuff and forget the leather bag.

If I was a world class traveler, a blue blooded trust fund kat, or classy type of fella like Ivy professor Jones of Havard and Yale-
in Africa hunting and killing rare and endangered lions, tigers, and bears, then "yes" I would get myself the finest leather made of the best cows possibe.

harry_the_monk
02-12-2003, 12:57 AM
I prefer canvas bags and do it bare handed. I find that this actually has strengthened the skin on my knuckles / hands where I strike.

Do make sure that you have already been toughening up the skin first, or you will be getting the bag covered in blood.

Also I believe they are cheaper and more humane. You can also use an old army duffle bag ( the long sausage like one-UK not sure about other countries.- the tops of them should already have some metal rings through themfor hanging.) which I managed to get from a surplus shop for less than a tenner each.

SevenStar
02-12-2003, 01:25 AM
I don't care if it's vinyl, canvas or leather. However, if you're a beginner, you may be wise to not hit a canvas bag bare knuckled.

guohuen
02-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Vinyl splits too easily. I'd stay away from it.

Kempo Guy
02-12-2003, 09:30 AM
lau gar,

I'd suggest you take a look at these posts once you get the bag:
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19424
It talks about what you should hit the bag with (what type of gloves etc.)

As for what type of bag, well, I have a vinyl and a canvas bag. I use the vinyl bags the most. I personally don't have a preference... I use 14oz boxing gloves when working on the bag anyway. :)

KG