PDA

View Full Version : Women Having a lower center of gravity than men.....

Souljah
02-11-2003, 05:42 PM
I've heard this from quite a few people now, on and off the net.
Is this true?
.....can anyone explain it to me please?
Plus if yo have any tips on lowering you center of gravity I'd apprecitate the knowledge. :D

-I know this thread may belong in the fitness forum but I just think more people could help me here.....

Laughing Cow
02-11-2003, 05:44 PM
I think it has to to with the breathing methods.

Women I believe do more abdominal breathing than men.

prana
02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
There is this saying

Men are apples and women are pears.

Although a generalisation, I think it is quite accurate, men put on weight in the belly and get a beer gut and woman put on their weight in the hip.

Also, woman have neturally more muscles in their core, and men on their upper shoulders.

Hence the center of gravity ?!

carly
02-11-2003, 05:49 PM
and they also sport some very powerful thigh muscles, and can learn to kick really hard.

Chang Style Novice
02-11-2003, 06:09 PM
A big factor is the shoulder to hip ratio. Women are built to have babies, so they have a wider pelvis to accommodate the birth canal. This translates into a low mass relative to the wide shoulders that play such an important role in male upper body strength.

These are generalizations, of course, and don't hold true for all possible individual male/female comparisons.

Water Dragon
02-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Nah, it's because they're shorter and their @sses are bigger.

shaolin kungfu
02-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Here's an experiment to find out who has a lower center of gravity.

You and one of your female friends should stand with your whole body flat against a wall(back towards the wall). Bend forward at the hips, keeping your back straight, being careful not to move your butt or legs from the wall. keep your arms at your sides for this. Whoever can go lower without leaving the wall has a lower center of gravity. Men usually can not go as low as women.

Merryprankster
02-12-2003, 03:58 AM
Screw that, shoot a double to a pick-up or try to hip throw one.

Feels VEEEEERY different :)

And, CSN is correct.

Souljah
02-12-2003, 04:44 AM

lmao....

but thanks for the input, pretty much cleared it up for me.:)

Men are apples and women are pears.
I'll remember that one..

So the best way to try and lower your center of gravity would be by practicing abdominal breathing?

Xebsball
02-12-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Hey man, will that help me with the ladies :confused:
Or i could do like Bizarro Ryu and just finger-jab her in the eye and suplex her.

Mr Punch
02-12-2003, 06:08 AM
CSN and WD are both correct. WD is funny.

Also wombs are organs men don't have. They must weigh something, thus changing the distribution of weight. However, some of us have an extra 'leg' which can make us overbalance.

Also, a doctor, a masseuse and a sports therapist (there's gotta be a gag in there somewhere! :D ) have told me that when women get tense, their abdomens tend to tense up, but with men it's their shoulders. Generalisations obviously, but could explain different action on the diaphrams, which would have a knock on effect of centring lower. Maybe.

Former castleva
02-12-2003, 06:11 AM
I do not know what you mean by lowering the centre of gravity,really.
When it comes to martial arts,I think fine arts like aikido etc. have it down.
Keep the weight low,off your upper body (Even a bigger person is easier to trip over if his weight hangs over his shoulders)
Desirable area is that of lower dan tien...
Well,you might have known that already.

Alternatively,you can get fat and grow some "tyre" around your stomach. :D This will push your hips downwards.

Mr Punch
02-12-2003, 06:26 AM
I don't understand your problem Former...

You just explained it!

You can look at it in a mystical or mental way, of centring yourself in your tanden, or a physical way of lowering your stance, and of relaxing your breathing into the abdomen.

Either way, the result should be the same: a sinking of your centre of balance through keeping relaxed.

Former castleva
02-12-2003, 09:09 AM
"I don't understand your problem Former...

You just explained it!"

Great. :D
No problem around here exactly Mat.
I was trying to find out what Souljah was after in detail and thus threw some ideas.

:)