PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know a kung fu style called Tong Bei kung fu?

WCK
01-31-2001, 01:27 AM
Yes, could anyone give me some background in this style and its curriculum?

GLW
01-31-2001, 02:42 AM
Tong Bei Quan is also seen sometimes as White Ape Fist.

It is a northern style that really extends the body. It is very loose and stretches out each attack as if it were being done by a large ape.

It also does a lot of body slapping to toughen the body all over the arms, legs, sides.

It is very forceful head on and likes to change directions to hit the side doors as well.

Kenji
01-31-2001, 02:39 PM
Tongbei Quan or Tungbi Quan is a style known for its long range combat, characterised by loose and lightning whip like attacks. The style draws its ideas from how the ape fights and as has been mentioned usually credit it to the legendary Bai Yuan (White Ape).

The curriculum of Tongbei Quan varies depending on which Tongbei style. There are Bai Yuan Tongbei, Wu Xing Tongbei, Houyuan Tongbei, 24 Tongbei Sanda and Pigua Tongbei. There are probably more Tongbei styles but I am not sure. Bai Yuan and Wuxing styles are related to each other. Wuxing came from Bai Yuan when its founder changed some aspects of the style. He based his new teachings on the wu xing zhang, five basic palm techniques that are the essence of the system. From what I know of Bai Yuan, they have as their basic main training the Six Prime Fists. Pigua Tongbei has as their main training 6-12 basic skills. The 24 Tongbei Sanda I have read as being a separate system as well as being a part of Pigua Tongbei as well as Bai Yuan Tongbei. It could be the same name for different forms or forms that have been changed in the different styles. I learnt abit of the 24 Tongbei Sanda while learning Pigua Tongbei.

The body slapping that GLW mentioned is also to be able to deliver full power strikes without holding back and using one's own body to control it.

I think Wu Xing Tongbei and Pigua Tongbei are the most popular Tongbei styles today. Wu Xing Tongbei is also if I am not mistaken the basis for Wushu style Tongbei.

HopGar
02-03-2001, 05:44 AM
From the other responses here, this sounds a bit like the martial art I currectly practice, which is Hop Gar Kung Fu, which does alot of direction changes. question though: Does it have huge circular blocks and punches and usually uses alot of wrist snaps?
ZSK

Kenji
02-03-2001, 09:53 AM
The blocks in the Tongbei I study are more parrying actions and they are usually very compact and small movements. It might be different in other Tongbei styles but in general Tongbei movements in application are always small even if they are big in training. Tongbei does use alot of wrist snaps in the power generation of its techniques. It creates the sting in its whip like techniques. There are a number of large circular punches but from my limited experience and observation with Tibetan White Crane (sister style to your Hop Gar), I think the feeling and execution of the punches between the two styles differs.

HopGar
02-03-2001, 10:52 PM
Kenji, I'd like to hear more about this form of Kung Fu. Actually, Hop Gar is a form of Tibetan Ape-Crane Kung Fu. You can read more info about it at www.hopgar.com (http://www.hopgar.com)

ZSK

Kenji
02-04-2001, 01:52 AM
Zvika,

I'm not sure what else you want to hear but here are two sites on Tongbei I have that might be of interest to you.

Bai Yuan Tongbei (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9413/tongbei.htm)

Wu Xing Tongbei (http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/wushu/tongbi.html)

Thanx for the website on hop gar. It's very interesting.

HopGar
02-04-2001, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the websites. They're interesting.

Zvika

Shaolin Master
02-04-2001, 04:52 AM
Xia Quan (Hop Gar) and Tong Bei Quan differ significantly in theory and practice. Only similarity to the innocent observer are the large outreaching movements. However the complete power generation differs as does the methodology behind attack/defense. Noting that Hop Gar is Lama/Bak Hok Family whereas tongbei is northern in nature more with the PiguaZhang group.

The sites where an interesting little intro read, cool :)

Kenji, when do you train (is it macq uni), I'd like to visit :)

Regards
Shi Chan Long

HopGar
02-04-2001, 05:25 PM
ShaolinMaster, I did realize that. I was just pointing out that they sounded a bit similar although they are completely different. Hop Gar is a Tibetan style of Ape-Crane Kung Fu. Please elaborate on the the differences, I'm interested in finding out

Zvika

Kenji
02-05-2001, 02:05 PM
Tongbei Quan's primary characteristics is its emphasis on "bian jing" or whipping power. Every offensive hand and leg techniques must contain bian jing (even the large circular punches). The emphasis on bian jing is because it is taught to be the most efficient way to generate power for long distance fighting (thought not just limited to it). Another characteristics of Tongbei IMO is alot of its training are training actual fighting combinations as can be seen from the various mini sets in WXTB, wu xing zhang, the 6 prime fists, the 24 Tongbei Sanda, etc instead of long sets typical of other styles.

Shaolinmaster,

Yeah its at Macq Uni. Feel free to come, anyone's welcome.

HopGar
02-05-2001, 05:07 PM
Hop Gar does have some of that as well, but most of our punches are landed off of a hip turn, which generates the power and speed which makes the our punches (namely chin-chui) so effective. We dont rely too much on whipping power, unless we are trying to knock someone's arm out of commsinon temporarily. IN that case, we'd use a snapping wrist kind of whip action whihc knocks a foe's arm out of commision real quickly.

Zvika

Kenji
02-07-2001, 08:14 AM
Zvika,

Can you post some of your training curriculum if possible please? I am curious to the differences in the curriculum between your Hop Gar, White Crane and Lama kungfu. Thanx!

HopGar
02-07-2001, 05:24 PM
Do you want to know what moves we learn and the order in whihc we learn them, or did ya have something else in mind?

Zvika

HopGar
02-07-2001, 05:34 PM
The first thing you need to learn is how to do a hip turn off the balls of your feet b/c this is essential for being able to land moves correctly. Only after you can do this can you start learning moves. We're taught them in this order (These are all punches srtikesand kicks, sorry, I can't exactly translate them, I just know what they are): Pao Chui, Chei Sen, Chin Chui, Cup Chui, Poi Bai Sao, a kick (I don't know the chinese term), whats known around here are chopping vegetables, seven star punch and the nyou start to learn combos and forms. The first form we are taught is a Shaolin Form and then you learn Hop Gar forms. In terms of weapons we learn King of Canton Staff, Da Mo Sword, Pa Kua Knife and a few others. We also learn some chin na moves. You can find out a bitabout our curriculum and what we offer at http://www.hopgar.com

Zvika