PDA

View Full Version : Turning the heels

red5angel
02-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Not sure if this is mainly a JKD concept or not but what exactly is turning the heels doing for you? My assumption is lining up the body for better power generation....

ewallace
02-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Not a JKD concept. Men have been perfecting the art of getting a woman's attention for centuries. It's a real confidence booster.

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2003, 09:08 AM
redangel - roundhouse. heel or support leg will be pointing at target when executed properly for max power.. (but not resting on this heel)

apoweyn
02-12-2003, 09:15 AM
LOL @ ewallace

red5angel,

turning the heels generally frees the hips to rotate further, generating more power.

stuart b.

yenhoi
02-12-2003, 09:17 AM
turning heel = turning hip. Poor man's hip turn.

:D

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2003, 09:17 AM
ghtomason,
partially true. If you do not make the consious effort (although once learned .. instinctive) to align your feet, the hips will not be able to get the full range of motion that you want from them to get the force as you accuately described.

ShaolinTiger00
02-12-2003, 09:18 AM
I think we all agree but just have 7 different ways of saying it.

red5angel
02-12-2003, 09:21 AM
ok, so that pretty much answers my question! turning the heal equates to aligning the hip for more power generation.

Thanks guys. exallace when you want to learn from the master you just come to me.... ;)

apoweyn
02-12-2003, 09:33 AM
you've got the master's phone number jotted down somewhere?

:)

red5angel
02-12-2003, 10:04 AM
yep, Osos' mom......

Knifefighter
02-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
turning heel = turning hip. Poor man's hip turn.

:D

Really? You might want to mention that to a professional baseball or tennis player.

yenhoi
02-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Really? You might want to mention that to a professional baseball or tennis player.

I try that next time I meet one or the other, and if they disagree I will hit them with proper thai kicks until otherwise.

You dont have to turn your hips with your heels or your heels with your hips There are certain mechanical things you must do close to correctly in order to punch or kick with much power.

"Poor mans hip turn" is some randomass phase I picked up at a boxing gym.

:eek:

fa_jing
02-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Yenhoi is correct. I don't think turning the heel all the way corresponds necessarily to maximum power, as well maximum power as an exclusive goal is not always called for.

joedoe
02-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Doesn't it also line up the body to provide better stability for power generation?

David Jamieson
02-12-2003, 07:58 PM
maximum power delivery is not based on concrete technique that works for one person.

maximum power is generated with differences in each of us due to the differences in each of our body structures.

The bone structure, while similar, is not the same for everyone. pelvic girdle size makes a huge difference in range of motion in kicks. As does length of limb, bone density, weight, muscle mass, fast twitch muscle, etc etc etc.

This is one of the reasons that there is a fairly wide variety of martial arts practiced with a fairly wide array of techniques being taught in these myrid styles.

heel, hip, waist, what ever works to get the whipping motion going is what is going to work for you.

a good teacher will look at your body form and train you within that framework, you will learn a lot of the same exercises as your classmates, but you will naturally gravitate to those that suit your body form and you will be encouraged to polish those areas of your skills both by your teacher and by your own motivation to get better.

cheers