PDA

View Full Version : group sports training/martial arts

Black Jack
02-12-2003, 05:18 PM
I think their might be a wealth of knowledge in the world of group sports that can be applied to martial arts training and individual techniques due to the millions of millions of dollars on r&d these activities bring to the table. Just vast amounts of information.

By sports I mean activites like soccer, baseball, tennis, golf, football, hockey, rugbee, volleyball, what have you.

There are books on books on sports training, on the physical study of how soccer kicks work, how a baseball is thrown, the mechanics of a golfswing, and so forth.

Have any of you ever compared your techniques to those found in western sports. I believe there could be a lot of information there.

joedoe
02-12-2003, 06:03 PM
I used to play a lot of volleyball, and a bit of rugby & tennis. More than anything, I found my MA training helped in those sports rather than the other way around. Maybe that was because my focus was more on my kung fu than on the other activities.

Volleyball & tennis - relaxed striking to produce more power.

Rugby - breaking tackles, more effective tackling.

SevenStar
02-12-2003, 06:19 PM
I've always thought that way. I think the contact and hard conditioning in football has benefitted my MA.

Laughing Cow
02-12-2003, 06:24 PM
BJ.

I not so sure about actual techniques and body movements.

Where I think a lot can be benefitied is from the way of motivating people, and so on.

Lets face it traditional MA training is not for everyone and thus we got many schools that changed their curriculum to suit the modern day "student".

Example:
Look at "Shorinshi Kempo" a chinese MA system taught in Japan, but was adjusted for Japanese students (Dan Ranks, religious influences, etc).

There is also still a LOT of TMA material that has not been translated or published and thus is not acceptable to the public.
I think when this becomes available it will be easier to see the common parts of western & eastern training methods.

David Jamieson
02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
I think that modern body science has been advanced due to team sport.

I also think that individual sport activity, such as martial arts, brings a lot to the team sport enthusiast.

Individual arts, such as martial art and other refinements of the movement of the human form bring a lot to how team sports are played.

cheers

Watchman
02-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Black Jack:

You make a great point. I have actually checked out books on soccer training from the library to study up on the mechanics of what we in Wing Chun refer to as "scoop kicking". It's done me quite a bit of good.

Taking the time to concentrate more on my adductors to power my low angle kicks has added to my power, I feel.

CrippledAvenger
02-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Rugby is the british equivalent to iron body, but the training's much more fun. I'd like to see some monks getting blitzed and singing bawdy songs at the bar after the game.

As far as the practical benefits of playing sports and training, there's obviously a lot of overlap outside of sheer conditioning, I think. There was a thread a while ago where I explained how a move I picked up in rugby was similar (at least on paper) to a throw that Seven was talking about. Soccer too, has overlaps, I guess, but for me it was more with the torquing to get power and learning to watch movements and react.

Man, now I'm getting all anxious to go out and roughhouse again... only one more month.:(

CrippledAvenger
02-12-2003, 08:15 PM
I remember reading somewhere that a lot of western martial traditions have their roots in sport or games-- purring, wrestling, even (I think) savate. Sometimes, I wonder if it's better to teach that way than to codify things, but I haven't had much experience with really traditional arts so I can't really comment on the matter.

Black Jack
02-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Watchman,

My point to a t. Just the simple enhancement of our skills due to a world of functional sports knowledge that is often overlooked.

Contact sports build heart and aggression, that alone can win a fight, sports work on attribute conditioning to a scientific degree, it all can be applied to what we all do, in a sense the study of power generation methods, how a baseball player throws a whipping fastpitch-chop, palm strike, hammer fist, what have you, how a golf pro drives the ball-infighting, elbows, uppercutts, throws, what have you.

Again just examples. Books like you picked up are a good source of knowledge. When you think of it, there are a lot of sports out there, a lot of stuff to pick from and play with.

yenhoi
02-13-2003, 01:19 AM
How about group vs group full contact anything goes fighting.

like show up at dawn, draw a number, odds are team red, evens are team blue, go!

:eek:

yenhoi
02-13-2003, 01:23 AM
like those silly english tournaments with knights and stuff.

put on some armour, and go fight a bunch of other dudes in armor with big axes and flails and huge swords and stuff.

that, would be cool ****.

:eek:

shaolin kungfu
02-13-2003, 02:50 AM
When I was in school, they wouldn't let us have balls because we kept kicking them onto the roof of the school. So instead of playing football, we would hold "wrestling" matches(basically uneduacated submission fighting). It would start with a large group of people all going at it at once. When someone felt too much pain they would tap out. Last person left would be the winner.

They eventually let us have our balls back.

MightyB
02-13-2003, 07:17 AM
There's been a huge growth in the knowledge of anatomy, physiology, nutrition, performance training, and psychology in the world of sports because of the money that's at stake at the professional level.

Group sports are just plain fun and healthy. They make you tough, they make you competitive, they build a team/group problem solving mentality, and you actually have a lot of fun participating in them. They're just great.

Here's a twist. Master Pan (aka, the Iron Fist) put this on his website:

Grand Master Pan will review the subtleties of your sport. Then, he will design an exercise program that gives your body the specific qualities you need to improve.

Read more about it here. (http://www.grandmasterpan.com/text/Athletes.htm)

guohuen
02-13-2003, 10:23 AM
The Army COULD learn alot from baseball on how to throw a grenade.

ewallace
02-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
When I was in school, they wouldn't let us have balls because we kept kicking them onto the roof of the school. So instead of playing football, we would hold "wrestling" matches(basically uneduacated submission fighting). It would start with a large group of people all going at it at once. When someone felt too much pain they would tap out. Last person left would be the winner.

They eventually let us have our balls back.
That's hilarious. I think we must have gone to the same school. We also played smear the queer. Only since we weren't allowed to play with balls any more, we just grabbed the kid that looked the queerest and just kept smearing him. Poor guy.

Losttrak
02-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Naw grenade chunking is about as good as its gonna get. The army is more concerned with keeping the soldier away from fire than they are at speed and precision. Trying doing a standing windup in a trench or bunker and see what happens... >POW< no more head and oops grenade just dropped out of your hand... >POW< dead marine friends.

CrippledAvenger
02-13-2003, 03:46 PM
So, just out of curiosity, what would be the sports recommended to help with MAs? I'm not talking about sport fighting here, just regular ol' sports that improve on a specific attribute or set of skills.

I'd pick-

Lacrosse
Rugby
and Gymnastics.

Gotta run to a class though. more later.

SevenStar
02-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by ewallace

That's hilarious. I think we must have gone to the same school. We also played smear the queer. Only since we weren't allowed to play with balls any more, we just grabbed the kid that looked the queerest and just kept smearing him. Poor guy.

We used to play smear the queer, but the teachers didn't like us using the word queer, so we called it smear the person. We also used to play pickle and beam (which are really the same game)

We also did the wrestling matches, and sparring (we were all int karate) but the teachers never really complained about it.

SevenStar
02-13-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
So, just out of curiosity, what would be the sports recommended to help with MAs? I'm not talking about sport fighting here, just regular ol' sports that improve on a specific attribute or set of skills.

I'd pick-

Lacrosse
Rugby
and Gymnastics.

Gotta run to a class though. more later.

soccer
football
shotput, lavelin, etc.