PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever trained with emin boztepe

bougeac
02-13-2003, 02:35 AM
hi, a while back i trained under a guy who had some experience of studying with emin boztepe, he thought the guy was awesome...

anyone else out there trained with him, and what was your experience like???

Merryprankster
02-13-2003, 03:38 AM
Some guy named William Cheung once trained with him. I seem to recall that Cheung wound up on the bottom of a schoolyard "wrasslin' match."

Ok ok, feel free to delete this post and ban me. I deserve it! I just couldn't resist the bait :D. I'm feeling mischevious this morning and find myself far more clever and entertaining than I should (or than I AM for that matter)....

Neurotic
02-13-2003, 06:42 AM
>chuckles<

Oh come on - who could really resist a set up like that?

I was heading there :p and I train under the fella :D

So if anyone was gonna get in trouble....

(hopes his Sigung doesn't see this... I see him tomorrow)

t_niehoff
02-13-2003, 07:45 AM
A couple of thoughts . . .

bougeac writes:

a while back i trained under a guy who had some experience of studying with emin boztepe, he thought the guy was awesome...
anyone else out there trained with him, and what was your experience like??? B

These sort of questions always make me wonder about the motivation of the person asking the question. If someone responds with "so-and-so is great," what does that mean? If another person responds with "so-and-so is terrible," what does it mean? If you have the means, go see for yourself. If you haven't the means, then what does it matter to you? TN
-------------------

Merryprankster (in keeping with his name) writes:

Some guy named William Cheung once trained with him. I seem to recall that Cheung wound up on the bottom of a schoolyard "wrasslin' match." MP

I actually think that event was, and still is, hugely significant to all WCK practitioners for a number of reasons (just like the "famous" tai ji-white crane fight should be to those practitioners). But leaving that aside for the moment, you raise another interesting issue IMO: the lack of "cross-training" among the "big boys". It seems to me that a WCK practitioner, even those with high-level skills, shouldn't mind seeking out others who are highly skilled to see if they have anything to offer (sometimes even highly-skilled persons are more developed in one area than another, and will find it useful to train with someone that is more developed in areas they lack) -- for example, Yuen Kay-San sought out an aged Fung Sui Ching to get additional training -- if developing skill and continuing to grow is their real goal. If we contrast WCK's self-imposed segregation of training to something like JJ's open exchange, I think it says a great deal. TN

Terence

reneritchie
02-13-2003, 08:05 AM
You know, it would be nice if someone (if not a troll) could ask a question like this and just get some nice, honest, non-political feedback for a change. What the he!! is wrong with WCK people anyway?

I wonder if someone asked about training with Nick Gill (sp?) a bunch of Yoshida fans would begin trash talking? Or if someone asked about Renzo Gracie would Royce's group bring up Dan Henderson's KO?

Here's a link to an article by Ray Van Raamsdonk on training with Boztepe sifu: http://www.wingchunkuen.com/archives/readings/contemporary/columns/vanraamsdonk/viewpoint04_boztepe.html

There are also several of his students on this board who could help you out.

AndrewS
02-13-2003, 10:07 AM
Yes.

Two weeks ago.

I should be on for some private lessons later this month.

What's training with Sifu like? It depends where you are in your training and what he's thinks is appropriate. I've seen him spend 1/2 hr patiently working through basics with 13 year old kids; I've seen him drill guys on one or two things for an hour, aiming for technical perfection. He's got a huge bag of teaching devices- bodyweight and conditioning exercises for days, abstractions of application to log in motion, limitation drills- cooperative and uncooperative, 'full-contact' (er, more like heavy contact, stopping shy of serious injury. The ED doc thought one of my bros had either been in a car wreck, or struck in the chest repeatedly with a sledgehammer, and that wasn't 'full'), familiarization with stuff from his grappling, thai, and boxing experience, many flavors of pad work, scenario training, incredibly soft technical chi sao, sometimes just rolling for 1/2 hr to 1hr.

Training with sifu is a blast, if you're dedicated and there to work. If you want to f*ck off, it may not be so fun.

Andrew

russellsherry
02-13-2003, 03:30 PM
i agrree with rene r but dont i always i saw emin on a tape david peterson showed me, at a tourment in germany emin looks
unreal and is one of my idols apart from my own sifu randy williams dont bag each other look at what everone has show respect also rene r i loved the artical on sum nang sifu i am very sad about his lose russellsherry

PHILBERT
02-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Ask me Monday, Feburary 24th. He's coming to town that Sunday and I am going to be tested for my second level. Haven't met the guy yet but I am excited.

AndrewS
02-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Philbert,

have fun and watch him very closely (particularly his footwork and torso usage). Sharp eyes are worth developing.

Andrew

PHILBERT
02-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Well Im young and have perfect vision. I also need a cup to wear.

Steven Lamb
02-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Philbert,
Go prepared with any questions about the system(techniques,footwork,etc), Sifu loves to share the knowledge he has to his students. Definitely wear a cup, he been known to give "cup checks" during seminars. Ouch!

Let us know how it goes......

Steve.

AndrewS
02-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Philbert,

I'm not talking about optics.

Don't be shy about moving to the best position possible to watch him demonstrate, ask for him to demonstrate on you, feel what he does, watch what he does, and start trying to figure out what he does so well. Many of the things which make him (and others) so effective are very subtle, and it's nigh impossible to verbally explain everything which is going on in a single seminar (though the three day thing he used to do on the closing step was a superb introduction).

You cannot be taught Wing Chun. You must *learn* Wing Chun. It is never too early to start learning and developing that which will be *your* understanding, whether it be the flow of motion perceived by visual artist or dance, mechanism of the engineer, conceptualization of the physicist, pragmatism of the cop or doorman, whatever. If you use your brain, each can feed the other. Expect to be a willing vessel and receive a transmission and you'll get little.

Andrew

reneritchie
02-14-2003, 11:13 AM
AndrewS is tossing pearls.

russlesherry, thanks much for the kind words and thoughts.

burnsypoo
02-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by AndrewS
whether it be the flow of motion perceived by visual artist or dance, mechanism of the engineer, conceptualization of the physicist, pragmatism of the cop or doorman, whatever. If you use your brain, each can feed the other. Expect to be a willing vessel and receive a transmission and you'll get little.

Andrew

beautifully worded.

kj
02-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by AndrewS
You cannot be taught Wing Chun. You must *learn* Wing Chun.

Agreed!

Originally posted by reneritchie
AndrewS is tossing pearls.

Indeed. :)

Regards,
- kj

rubthebuddha
02-14-2003, 04:59 PM
non-political, even though i'm on the leung ting side of the fence:

emin has some greast skills, both as a teacher and as a practicioner. i learned some good lessons from his seminars.

rene: how'd i do? ;)

bougeac
02-14-2003, 06:19 PM
t_niehoff says

"These sort of questions always make me wonder about the motivation of the person asking the question. If someone responds with "so-and-so is great," what does that mean? If another person responds with "so-and-so is terrible," what does it mean? If you have the means, go see for yourself. If you haven't the means, then what does it matter to you? TN"

youre paranoid mate, all i wanted to know was what people who have trained with emin have to say about the experience...

i thought that one of the many points of having a wing chun forum
(apart from it being a place for mma/jiu jitsu trolls to take constant pot shots at us), was for wing chun stylists to share knowledge/training experiences for us all to benefit, to be honest why reply to the post if you HAVENT trained with emin...

AndrewS
02-14-2003, 08:45 PM
I'll have the grace to be embarressed at the compliments.

Philbert-

I just checked the seminar schedule- you're in Dallas! I take that means you're training with Graham? Tell him I said hey- he's a great guy and I'm looking forward to his next visit out here. Let him know Tommy just took off for Atlanta with his 12 SG and some fresh ink.

Later,

Andrew

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
02-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Boztepe vs. Chung is a dead topic. Leave it buried.