PDA

View Full Version : cincinnati area

frosh2786
02-06-2001, 02:59 AM
is there any shaolin kung fu in the cincinnati area? please help!

BigDude
02-06-2001, 08:19 AM
Hey Frosh2786,

I've been looking for a good KF school myself, but haven't had much luck. The only two I know that teach KF are:

Western Hills Kung Fu Center on Harrison Ave and

Cincinatti Kung Fu & Tai Ji Center
7125 Redding Rd.
Cincinatti, OH 45237
(513)351-4953

I don't have the number for the one in Western Hills, but you should be able to get it from 411. I haven't had a chance to call either to find out what style they teach. So far, I've been training from some videos (technically, it's a distance learning program) but the vast majority of the people on this forum will tell you it's not possible to learn that way. I'm not really convinced of that yet, but would like to find a school anyway. If you do go the video route, you should have at least a couple of sparring partners and be sure you can dedicate some time to the training every day (true of all training methods).

Whether the stone hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the stone, it's that pitcher that gets hurt

frosh2786
02-07-2001, 05:11 AM
so is there any book or video you recommend? i have a long fist book with techiniques just to learn more about the art, but if i want to learn i would need at least a video right? anyt recommendations? i would like to learn any KF.

BigDude
02-07-2001, 05:41 AM
I know I'm gonna get flamed bigtime for this, but I like Sifu David Scott's video training. It's in Northern Shaolin Style. This is really more of a distance learning program because, when you think you are ready to test for your sash, you videotape yourself performing the requirements and send it in to Sifu Scott. Also, he is available via E-Mail and an 800 number if you have any questions. Alternatively, if you are interested in Choy Lay Fut (a southern style) Sifu Tat Mau Wong has a similar program. The difference is that Sifu Wong's does not test you for any sashes lower than black.

With both of these programs, you are required to travel to the actual martial arts school and test in person for the black sash.

I chose Sifu Scott's Northern Shaolin because you are required to demonstrate an understanding of the style's use for self defense at every sash level and, beginning with the Green Sash (The third level you test for) ground fighting techniques are taught. Some Chin Na (Joint Locking techniques) are taught right from the Grey Sash (beginner level).

You can learn more about both of these styles and the videos at these websites:

Sifu David Scott's Nothern Shaolin Style (http://www.kungfu-wushu.com)

Tat Mau Wong's Choy Lay Fut style Kung Fu (http://www.tatwong.com)

Like I say, I know I'm gonna get flamed for promoting learning from videos. If not for that, then because the system I am using comes from a website with the dreaded Wushu in the name, but (so far at least) this is looking like it could be a pretty devestating style if I just apply myself and train hard.

Let me know if you decide to give Sifu Scott's system a try...also if you find a traditional KF school in Cinci...I'ld still be interested in giving one a try. :)

Whether the stone hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the stone, it's that pitcher that gets hurt

FIRE HAWK
02-07-2001, 05:40 PM
TRY GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE

http://www.google.com/search?q=KUNG+FU+in+CINCINNATI++OHIO&btnG=Google+Search