PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a style

Archangel
02-13-2003, 07:25 PM
By style I don't mean a particular art, I'm refering to a style of fighting. My old boxing coach told me once to stay away from anybody that tries to teach you their style of fighting. We all have different body types, different attributes and different instincts and it's only natural that we allow these factors to shape and mold our fighting style.

For instance when my brother and I started training in boxing, our coach noticed that I was slower more methodical but had heavy hands. My brother on the other hand was quick and mobile but didn't have KO power. So he trained us differently, he had me bulling in and landing heavy shots from the inside; my brother on the other hand was a counter puncher and used a lot of movement and evasiveness when he fought. He encouraged us to work on our weaknesses (my mobility, his power) but never once made us go against our natural fighting styles. I'm just wondering if this is prevelent in Kung Fu as well.

Kinjit
02-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Good topic. Some traditional japanese arts say that you should train for about 20 years before you start having your own style.:eek:

PHILBERT
02-13-2003, 07:40 PM
My instructor constantly tells me to use what I've got, my incredibly long arms (which are longer than some people 4-5 inches taller than me) and my good size legs. I'm only 6' to 6'1" and there is one guy in my class around 6'5" and my arms are the same length as his.

joedoe
02-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Once a student reaches a certain level of competency in our art, our sifu then focuses on different things for the student depending on their attributes, similar to your boxing coach.

count
02-13-2003, 08:12 PM
A good teacher won't teach two people the same. It always cracks me up in class when the fights break out because "Sifu said do something this way" and "the other way". :rolleyes: Both ways are probably correct. :cool: No two people do bagua the same. In fact, it might be the biggest mistake you can make, to blindly copy your teacher and pass it on wrong to someone else. Traditionally teachers would pick the style that was right for you. My teacher used to say, "that's your medicine". In bagua, we learn to change things to make them work for you. Change forms, applications, strategy. That's why bagua is the art of change. It's perfect for everyone.:p

Say, why are you guys talking about martial arts on this forum anyway? You know Sadam is a ***** and Bush is a *******.

SevenStar
02-13-2003, 08:19 PM
This is one more of those things that (from what I've seen) "traditional styles" are slower in. in longfist, there was a set curriculum, so everybody must learn the same thing. As you become more advanced and begin to spar more, you are taught to use what works best for you.

In sport styles I've been in - bjj, judo and muay thai - we were taught from the beginning to use what we know. In judo, coach teaches us various throws that fit out body type and abilities in the beginning, so we have something to compete with and use competently, but over time, we learn all of the throws.

Braden
02-13-2003, 08:27 PM
:D @ count

The individual style thing is certainly a big part of baguazhang traditionally, and certainly something my teacher has stressed both in general from day one, and in increasing detail since. The differences between 'my style' and 'his style' take more form each day.

IMHO, this is the difference between a teacher and a trainer; and I certainly appreciate it. I suspect it's a rare talent.

Water Dragon
02-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Shuai Chiao is the same. Certain throws work better for certain body types. I'm tall and thin. So for me it's sweeps, Diagonal Cuts, and breaking throws. A short and stubby guy will probably be better off with hip tosses, lifts, and leg picks. But even though it usually applies, it doesn't always. So it's important to let the student pick what throws he likes. We naturally tend to like what we were good at.

The only thing I'd add to Seven's comment is that even though you learn all the throws, that doesn't mean you'll be combat proficient at them. I have a decent hip toss, but I doubt I'll ever pull it off in free fighting. It just doesn't make sense for how I'm put together. It's important to learn though, in caseI ever have a student who is short and stubby.

dnc101
02-14-2003, 02:04 AM
Definately make the style fit the individual. You should also develope some ability to alter the style to deal with the opponent.

Souljah
02-14-2003, 10:09 AM
Definately make the style fit the individual

I think this is very important...rather than making the individual fit the style. Though a certain level of adaptation may be neccessary I think its vital for each person to interpret the style in his/her unique way...The same intent and basis of each move and thought behind the style remain, but each individual can their style into the practised style over time...
I do also think that there must be a high level of experience and practice behind any teacher...just getting into it because you think you can revolutionise practical fighting styles I dont think is really possible, and even if not shouldnt be considered without this vital experience.
I mean, Fighting and unarmed combat has been around since the beginning of time, its not likely you will 'invent' anything that no-one hasnt thought of before, but techniques can certainly be improved and adapted to suit certain 'types'.

Robinf
02-14-2003, 01:01 PM
I can't teach people my fighting style because it only works for me. Fighting style is as individual as a fingerprint. I'm small, and I like to glide on my feet rather than step or bounce. Because of my size, I prefer to fight in closer, but I've seen some folks my size who like to fight at a distance--counter attack.

That said, it is important to know in general different styles and in general standard techniques and to be able to give cues toward those styles and techniques, but ultimately the fighter will and has to find his/her own style and techniques.

As a teacher, it's our duty to teach as many techniques as we can and as many styles as we can for fighting so that the student can find what works best for him/her individually.

Archangel
02-15-2003, 02:27 PM
This is why I really believe that sparring is a necessity right away. It's the best way for you and your instructor to gauge your strengths and analyse your weaknesses. Without a fully resisting opponent you just don't know how you'll react to certain situations.

FatherDog
02-16-2003, 10:51 AM
My coach has always told me to focus on my weak points in drilling, but also to use what works best for me in sparring. Being as I'm 6'4" with disproportionately long arms, and he's about 5'6", if he tried to teach me his own style, I doubt it would work out well.