PDA

View Full Version : trad. Weaponforms of Yang Tai Chi chuan ?

Firebird
02-14-2003, 02:00 AM
Are there any other trad. weaponforms than the wellknown forms for sword , saber , spear and longpole.
I red the style changed over the time, maybe there where more trad. weaponforms.

GLW
02-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Strange you should bring that up...

I had the pleasure of having lunch with Fu Zhongwen a month or two before he made his last trip to the US - when I was in Shanghai.

One of the topics of conversation was Yang style weapons and sword history...roots of the Yang forms.

He stated pretty clearly that the ones you mentioned were all that Classical Yang style had.

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-22-2003, 04:07 AM
i had the good fortune to study yang style with mr. xianhao cheng of hangzhou. he is a pure yang stylist who does lots of research into yang. as a member of yongian association in china that was started by fu zhong wen, mr. cheng teaches in the usa Yang style weapons.

He recently taught the following at a seminar at the norfolk va police training and naval shore patrol station.

8 brocade qigong.

13 wudang form ( a yang lu chan 13 direction form using the 13 methods unique to taiji)

yang straight sword and 13 taiji sword techniques unique only to taiji sword. sword sticking methods.

yang broadsword. (not the 13 form as taught by yang zhen dou)

yang taiji spear ( a 24 movement form.)
spear sticking methods.

push hands techniques.

He says alot of what seems to be missing in yang style today is alive and well outside the YANG FAMILY Taiji. There are plenty of masters in beijing and china that do things like two person taiji combat form and 2 person taiji sword.

all in all it was the best workshop i have ever been to.

m

bob10
02-22-2003, 07:43 AM
In the Yang Sau Cheung lineage the weapons taught are sword, broadsword, staff, two person staff, spear and halberd.

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-24-2003, 10:06 PM
bob10 said:: In the Yang Sau Cheung lineage the weapons taught are sword, broadsword, staff, two person staff, spear and halberd.

do you have the form sequence names of this master written down?

the spear form i learned has a total of 24 movements. the spear two person set is only a few sticking moves.

i have heard of staff but not seen. the halberd i think is the taiji weapon form related to the chen village pou dao?

ma

bob10
02-25-2003, 01:59 AM
http://www.gstaichi.org/articles.html

and click on weapons, most of the information is there I think.

Ma_Xu_Zha
02-25-2003, 01:36 PM
the sequences and names are different. gin soon has a nice website, however it wasnt what i was looking for. thanks anyways. i will share the 13 techniques with xianhao cheng.

some of the thrusting to throat, heart and legs is the same and the spear we learned has a coiling technique.

m