PDA

View Full Version : Need Stretching Techniques

neon
02-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Hello all. I've been a TKD student for a little over a year and a half at this fantastic and tiny little dojo being taught by a true grandmaster. It is incredible as to how much you can learn when surrounded by a small group of dedicated, friendly people.

While my technique has improved greatly and my reach gradually, my overall stretch is still incredibly weak, IMHO. Unfortunately for myself, I am one of those people that cannot sit down with his legs bent backwards at each side. I am nowhere near a full split.

I am hoping that some of you can point me to some more innovative or useful stretching methodologies. Some of the posts here use words that don't explain the techniques or point to the actual exercises and I was hoping to hear something more helpful, especially with regard to obtaining flexibility such as getting closer to a full split. Some people "promise" everyone can have one and I'm not so sure.

What do I do know? Stretching against a wall, both upright and sitting on the floor with legs at each side. I do not rocker my position, which I understand is bad technique. Additionally, I sit down with legs crossed and bottom of left foot against bottom of right foot, and lean forward, pushing my legs slightly aopart with my elbows and my head leaning forward to touch my feet and then attempting to reach the floor. There are some others.

Thanks and look forward to participating...

Mike

Robinf
02-14-2003, 09:00 AM
If anyone has any techniques for getting into a split, I'm all ears myself.

I'm still trying for one after 9 years. I get closer, but then I get stiff one night and I lose what I gained--even though I push it.

I did find that strength training with external weights has helped me a bit--that could also be because of the extra stretching that I do because of the workout.

I do find that getting into the full split postion and leaning my upper body down on the floor, first on my elbows, then spread my arms out to the side and lean the side of my head on the floor has helped a bit, too.

I also still have about a half an inch to go on my right and left splits. This is annoying, but I'm at least confident I'll be able to make these soon.

Robin

TigerJaw
02-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Do a search for Brad Appelton's FAQ on stretching.

It's called 'Everything you never wanted to know about stretching' or some such. It's pretty good and contains most of the info you need.

neon
02-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys... I just found this and it seems incredibly thorough. While searching on the home page is cumbersome, this page links you through a few dozen articles. Seems authoritative.

http://www.stadion.com/column_stretch1.html

I'm very impressed although I still wonder about my ability to reach a split...

Kumkuat
02-14-2003, 10:41 AM
There's a few ways you can go about it. One is just holding a stretch for a long time like several minutes or so. But you won't get the strength in that position, just flexiblity.

Next is pnf stretching. This is when you stretch as far as you could and tense the muscles hard for 30 seconds (say for a split, you would try to close the leg, but there would be a resistance like a wall, partner, or the ground to keep you from closing your leg). After 30 seconds of tensing you relax and should be able to stretch a bit further.

Next is forced relaxation that Pavel teaches. I haven't done this myself but the idea is tensing the muscle as above but tensing it till your stretch reflexes gives out. This can be a minute or two. But I haven't tried it out myself to see.

Other way is using weights or some sort of resistance to go through the range of motion. For a split, for example, go to a slippery floor with fluffy socks. This would provide maximum slipperyness. Then while holding onto something, go down to the split position as far as you can and then come back up by closing your legs. Do a couple reps and sets. This should give you strength and flexiblity in that range of motion. Or for a hamstring stretch, put one leg out and the other leg bent. Use a safe weight behind your head and stretch down towards the straight leg and up. Repeat.

In all these make sure your alignment is correct and make sure not to tear anything.

WinterPalm
02-14-2003, 11:01 AM
If your technique is good and you are at least a bit more flexible than when you started; there is nothing to worry about. Your strength, flexibility, and technique increases gradually as you go along.

Ming Yue
02-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Keep in mind that not all bodies are designed to be able to reach full splits. Some folks just won't be able to do it. Don't injure yourself trying. Just try to stretch every day. the resistance stretching described by kumquat has worked the best for me.

Also just by training all those new techniques you will build the strength, muscle memory and kinetic awareness that will help you be more agile.

Recently learned NEVER to kneel with your feet out to your sides. Kids can pull it off but it's murder on adult knees.