PDA

View Full Version : Health Alert! Plastic water containers!

red5angel
02-14-2003, 09:55 AM
I just read an article where they did a study on plastic water containers, and water bottles that people were reusing to fill with water. In it they found that 95% of all the containers tested regularly had levels of bacteria and other matter, like fecal matter! high enough that if it were city water they would have to shut it down!
The cause more often then not is that people don't wash their water containers thouroghly or frequently enough and exposure to your regular environment as well as your mouth turns them into a breeding ground for some pretty sick stuff!!

I thought this would be of interest since I know alot of people do this anyway, never mind those of us who work out hard each day and carry water with us!

Kinjit
02-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Yeah, doesn't surprise me one bit. Once I accidentally left a used one lying in a bag for two weeks or so, man did it smell nasty.

Oso
02-14-2003, 10:32 AM
yea, but you have to get a good layer of mold going.

The mold takes the plastic taste away and eats the bad stuff
like E. coli.

seriously, I'm desperately trying to get some mold growing in
my new backpack water bladder cuz it still tastes like a plastic
bag.

Liokault
02-14-2003, 11:06 AM
If the water container is clear then let the sun sterilise your water for you.

No_Know
02-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Sunlight might grow some of the bacteria faster it seems to me.

Royal Dragon
02-14-2003, 11:24 AM
That's what we have immune systems for. I say "give it a work out, chugg on down!!!"

ricksitterly
02-14-2003, 11:35 AM
this is funny because my brother left his waterbottle on his desk overnight, which was in the attic, and the next morning he drank from it and immidiately got sick and puked. he still INSISTS that i peed in the bottle the night before (which i did not). he says that's the ONLY WAY it could have tasted so aweful. does anyone have a copy/link of the article??? PROOF AT LAST!

red5angel
02-14-2003, 12:08 PM
hmmmm, or you could just use some plain ole dish soap and wash out your water containers once a day...you bunch of kooky kungfu *******s.

Surferdude
02-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Heres what you do.
You take the water bottle open it and drink the water in it!
After that thiink nothing of it if you dont think there are germs in it they wont hurt you. Kind of like mind over matter stuff.:D

Oso
02-14-2003, 01:42 PM
no, really, I used to boat with this guy and his water bottles all
had a light growth of mold in them and water tasted better
out of them. We would take water from the 5 gal jugs we had
for the guests (raft company) which tasted like dam mit and pour
it into his water bottles and it would taste better after about 5
minutes.

but, you know, I've drunk muddy water from 300' down in a cave
cuz I crushed my water bottle on the rap down.

tedward
02-15-2003, 08:08 AM
im not at all bothered about my old moldy drink bottles - which go for 4- 6 months before they are replaced (never cleaned either)

there is though the health scares about catching meningicocal meningitis from using other peoples drink bottles.

Stryder
02-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I read an article once about mold, and it surprised me how much mold is actually in our faucets. So I no longer worry about a little mold in my camel back or water bottle. We get it everyday from our taps anyway.