PDA

View Full Version : Pavel, Bruce, and Gordon Little

StarBoy
02-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Are there any critics for either Pavel or Bruce?

I went to Barnes and Noble and checked out Power to the People. As I only use weight training and cardio to suppliment my martial arts, I was considering using his book as my weight training guide. I don't want to get too involved in weight training, at least not to the extent that it will distract me from martial arts. I was also considering supplimenting it with The Science of Martial Art Training (by Staley I believe), but I don't know if that would be too redundant. Anywhos, it looked really good, but I'm figuring it can't be perfect so I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any legitimate critics of Pavel.

I also noticed that Gordon Little has a book on training (Ultimate Training for the Martial Arts). I ran out of time and couldn't check it out in much detail, but has anyone checked this out? Any opinions?

Also, I know that Bruce Lee is legendary. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad said about his work in MA. Does he have any legitimate critics either? I'm not trying to put down Bruce or anything like that, I just started wondering this as I was browsing though the martial arts section at B&N.

One question I do have about Bruce was something I saw in The Art of Expressing the Human Body. On p.48 there's an exercise, press behind the neck. Isn't that really bad for the rotator cuff?

Thanks. :)

Ford Prefect
02-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Between those, I'd choose Pavel. If you want to train minimal amounts of time with weights and still make decent gains, then PTP is a great protocol to follow.

BTW, heavy military presses can cause shoulder injuries, but this varies from person to person.

StarBoy
02-14-2003, 02:24 PM
I'm less worried about time constraints and more worried about properly designing a better program for myself (that won't cost me a lot of money on equipment).

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-15-2003, 06:43 PM
ptp is awesome and id say your best bet. the dude knows his sh it and the book is easy to understand and provides pics.

i also really liked art of expressing the human body a lot. it doesnt have any pictures and some of the info is dated, but it's what got me motivated to really start busting ass 3 years ago and i have had tons of luck with the forearm routines in it. i will always have an affection for this book because it inspired me, but i would go for ptp for better content.

not sure about the other books you mentioned.

Mr. Bao
02-15-2003, 07:51 PM
I would really recommend PTP by Pavel. I have all his books. It is simple, user friendly, and it gives you ideas for you to grow on. It is down to earth and funny at times.

Bruce Lee's The Art of Expressing The HUman Body by John Little is not so much a good book to based your workouts. It is more a history book and an inspirational book on his workouts. Bruce Lee was a head of his time and some of his methods and techniques are dated and were known truths at his time. Plus all the exercise descriptions were done my Mr. Little mostly and I really dont respect the man personally.

"The Science of Martial Art Training" is a good introduction of basic theories of strength and condition related for functional strength for martial arts for novice and lay person, but it fails as a bible for S&C martial text. Because it is written poorly and much of it complex theories are briefly explained and touched. This does no justice for the experienced and learned martial atheletes.

The book by Gordon is garbage. Why? The exercise done by them are not optimally and the theories behind them are based on body building which is not gear for function, but for form which is not what martial arts training is all about. If you want a body building book get a body building book, but pls don't waste your money on Gordon's book. I rather see a well respected body building author get the cash then this author.

Best Cheers.

StarBoy
02-15-2003, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I figure I'd go with PTP. It looked like a really good book. Lots of clear pictures and easy instructions. I just thought I'd do some research and see if there was another size.

Now to find a good nutrition book...any tips there? :)