PDA

View Full Version : a liang style bagua Mpeg for you

carly
02-14-2003, 02:01 PM
http://daichao.molnet.ru/dc/pakua.mpeg

count
02-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks for posting that. Any comment on what you saw? I think you posted you hadn't seen much bagua before. Could you make a comparison here with what you have seen? How did you find that clip on the site which seems to be in Chinese?

carly
02-14-2003, 03:04 PM
As I said, I don't know much about bagua, so I can't make any informed comment on it, except that it was interesting to see a bagua guy ounch - I hadn't seen that before.
It is from a Russian site, and this sifu teaches in Moscow, and is highly regarded by the Chinese martial artists in Russia.

ShaolinTiger00
02-14-2003, 03:10 PM
3 things that I must comment on. I make no judgement.

1) crossing feet in large steps
2) hand always outstretched
3)spinning on crossed legs

Can a bagua guy tell me why these aren't very very bad things?

Braden
02-14-2003, 03:11 PM
ST - I don't know any Liang style, but my inexperienced opinion is that that looks like a PRC (wushu) form.

He's doing a few things that, at least in my style, we are constantly told are very wrong.

Again though, that's just my style.

Oso
02-14-2003, 04:30 PM
ST00,
I'm not a bagua sifu and only a part time practicioner of bagua.

But, this clip is only showing a drill. The basic circle walking is
only to build stamina and focus. If you do the mud step correctly
and walk the circle a LOT. Your legs will burn like a *****.
Additionally you practice the different palm postures in the style.

There are other things since it is an internal style but there
probably wouldn't be any point in saying them so I'll just stick
to the physical aspects.

I would equate it to a western boxers shadow boxing drill.

Count can surely add more and correct my mistaken impressions.

BATTER UP !!!!

count
02-14-2003, 06:09 PM
No, actually I agree with Braden and it's not just your style. The guy looks good though. Better in the Mantis clip from the other post. I can't explain what ShaolinTiger is seeing though. He'd have to be more specific. ;)

Braden
02-14-2003, 06:21 PM
"1) crossing feet in large steps"

In the circlewalking, he seemed to me to be bobbing up and down, sliding too much, crossing his legs too much, and keeping the gua of his rear arm way closed. All things I've been taught to really avoid.

On the other hand, his wrists are very relaxed, and he has an excellent spiral in that last second before he starts walking right at the beginning. Wish mine was that nice!

"3)spinning on crossed legs"

As for the palm change, it looked to me more like a PRC (wushu) fanziquan routine than any bagua I've ever seen. But palm changes can really vary alot (unlike circlewalking, more or less), so maybe that's just Liang style.

"2) hand always outstretched"

That, on the other hand, is standard. Remember, it's more exercise than application; the stretch, spiral, and relax is important. But even in application, most bagua stylists don't 'box' (like, quick strikes, retracting your hands, etc)... it's definitely a different style wrt outstretching the arms; but of course, you're always changing. I think some Yin baguazhang stylists might be more 'boxer' in their style... maybe the Count can clarify.

Most Yin baguazhang has alot of lohanquan (like shaolin or longfist) influence, and also emphasizes the 'piercing' energy; so this is more condusive to a boxing-type approach to fighting. On the other hand, I train in Cheng baguazhang, which doesn't have the lohanquan influence, nor the emphasis on piercing energy; instead, some say, it shows some Shuia Chiao and/or Xingyiquan influence. The founder, Cheng Ting Hua, was a famous wrestler before taking up bagua; and after become a bagua teacher, trained often with xingyiquan stylists. So his style is usually more smooth than punctuated, and closes to sort-of-grapple, which is why you might see more extension of the arms, rather than a punctuated boxing flavor like you might expect from kungfu.

All in my admittedly inexperienced opinion. Did that answer your questions ST?