PDA

View Full Version : What is a bent press?

WinterPalm
02-14-2003, 10:45 PM
What is a bent press?

Mr. Bao
02-16-2003, 07:40 AM
i do not know

WinterPalm
02-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Apparently most people don't.

abobo
02-16-2003, 08:45 PM
http://www.iowastrong.com/bentp.html

Laughing Cow
02-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Looks nasty.

stubbs
02-17-2003, 06:46 AM
lol. i was thinking the same thing, but not that the exercise looks nasty but at the really bad wedgie that guy's got!!!
________
Brunette shower (http://www.****tube.com/categories/441/shower/videos/1)

Mr. Bao
02-17-2003, 07:11 AM
I do the same exercise, but it is called side bent press with my kettlebell, sorry winter palm. I didn't understand your term. Great movement for your shoulders, grip, and core.

WinterPalm
02-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Looks like an interesting exercise.

IronFist
02-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Bent pressing is cool, except sometimes I don't bend over as far as that guy does. I guess that makes mine more of like a side press or something.

I'm actually not sure I understand why you bend so far to the side. But that last portion of the movement seems to work your obliques when you're bending back up to a standing straight up position.

It's cool tho, especially because hardly anyone knows what it is.

IronFist

abobo
02-27-2003, 10:36 PM
IF, you side press with a barbell? I don't think I could pull that off in my gym without someone getting on my case.

cutter
02-27-2003, 10:43 PM
if i were goig to do it in a gym, i'd use a dumbbell, to keep from getting any hassle from staff. i say this because this happened to me.
kettlebells make it a whole different kind of hard.

Kumkuat
02-27-2003, 11:33 PM
i bent pressed a few times with a barbell here at my Uni. No problems so far. Just do it and see what they do. If they make an issue of it, I guess you have to stop or do it when they're not looking. Of course prepare to get some strange looks like, "woah, what that weird exercise he's doing? it's not a bench nor a curl. So weird."

harry_the_monk
02-28-2003, 12:54 AM
I work in a gym and started getting strange looks from everyone.
Just re-educate the staff. If they say anything inform them of what the exercise is called and the fact that it is better using the barbell as you are training balance etc., and more strength in the wrists to stabalise the bar.
I do this in other gyms as well. I just say to the guy making the 'beef' that just because he hasn't heard of it doesn't mean I can't do it. I probably know of many exercises that your average gym instructor has never heard of. Just use your common sense and make sure there aren't people walking around behind you while you're doing it. And try not to use it as a showoff move(it is hard though.) ;)

I had always called it a single-arm overhead barbell press, so never replied to the what is a bent press move. I do it more erect anyway, so will keep to my own version until I start bending at those sort of angles.