PDA

View Full Version : underground kyokushin

SevenStar
02-15-2003, 01:57 PM
I was in the gym and went to the aerobics room to get a jump rope - I saw a guy practicing kata. It looked like shotokan, so I asked him if it was. He told me it was kyokushin, and I was like "really? I didn't think there were any kyokushinkai places around this area anymore" Turns out that what happened is the training was hard, and they couldn't retain students, so the teachers started teaching out of smaller places - YMCA's and churches. Turns out there are like 5 - 6 schools around and all of the teachers are at least 3rd degree black belts. He told me the times that he works out and invited me to join him sometime.

Surferdude
02-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Where is it?:confused:

Xebsball
02-15-2003, 05:22 PM
I hear kyokushin does some tough stuff, check em out fo sho

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-15-2003, 10:02 PM
and dont grab his groin the first time you train with him. instructors dont like that until you know them better.

SevenStar
02-15-2003, 11:38 PM
d@mn, I was gonna try that first...

carly
02-16-2003, 01:15 PM
they seemed pretty friendly and serious about sparring full contact without protective gear - ouch!
As karate goes, it seems to be very good.

rogue
02-16-2003, 03:46 PM
My TKD master is also a Kyukoshinkai black belt. What he kept from his K days was the importance of sparring and we do it every class. A couple of years back he toned things down to moderate contact with no gear because of insurance and losing students when they got to brown belt and the sparring gets tougher. We also now train out of community centers, health clubs and private schools. I also have a sensei that closed his school and now only teaches privates to black and brown belts. The only schools that I know of that do full contact but stay open are kick boxing schools. But all the ones I know also teach other things to pay the bills.

carly
02-16-2003, 04:04 PM
So why is this good version of karate so unpopular?

Fred Sanford
02-16-2003, 04:16 PM
So why is this good version of karate so unpopular?

because people are afraid to be hit. it's easier to dance around doing forms and think about how tough you are.

rogue
02-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Even the conditioning of weapons is tough. Think Muay Thais shin conditioning but also add conditioning of the hands, elbows, forearms, feet, ankles and torso.

SevenStar
02-16-2003, 06:01 PM
sounds like a fun style

TaoBoy
02-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Here is Australia, Kyokushin gets marketed as 'THE STRONGEST KARATE'. I don't care how good it is - if they go around talking themselves up like that - I ain't interested!

SevenStar
02-16-2003, 08:25 PM
but my style's grandmaster was 500-0 in challenge matches and has been seen doing a chi blast...

Laughing Cow
02-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Here is what I know about it:

Kyokushin Karate trains full-contact, but no head hits or kicks are allowed due to lack of protective Gear.

Those Guys train hard and serious, in Japan the style is not too popular due to some alleged rigthwing party afiliation.

SevenStar
02-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow

in Japan the style is not too popular due to some alleged rigthwing party afiliation.

wha??

Volcano Admim
02-16-2003, 08:36 PM
well, on japanese pratic kushing naked on voleyball fields, friend.

there right wing

Mr Punch
02-17-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
Here is Australia, Kyokushin gets marketed as 'THE STRONGEST KARATE'. I don't care how good it is - if they go around talking themselves up like that - I ain't interested!

It is, obviously IMO the 'strongest karate'. Of course, to some people this is like saying the 'strongest spongecake'. But I've never been hit quite so hard in the gut by a spongecake... actually, since I turned 31, everything seems to be hitting me in the gut...:(

Cow
Kyokushin Karate trains full-contact, but no head hits or kicks are allowed due to lack of protective Gear.

In Japan, this seems to depend on the school.

Cow
in Japan the style is not too popular due to some alleged rigthwing party afiliation.

Never heard of this. And many things here seem to be popular because of alleged rightwing affiliations!:eek:

I'm buying the supposition that it's not popular because people don't like getting hit so much, and most people in Japan couldn't give a blue monkey's **** about martial arts!

Volcano
well, on japanese pratic kushing naked on voleyball fields, friend.

there right wing

This man is obviously the spokesman for a generation of geniuses. Or is that genii. Or are they the guys that live in bottles. ****, that blew that one. Guess Volcano kicked my ass!:rolleyes:

Cheese Dog
02-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Kyokushinkai tournements allow kicks and knees to the head, but no punches to the head. You can punch the body though and kick and knee the legs and body.

The reason given for no face punching is that it is a simple technique to punch the face; knees and kicks to the head are much harder. The problem with that is face punches are by far the most common attack. Not to many street punks start an attack with a spinning hook kick!