PDA

View Full Version : Chin Na

mtod1
02-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Hi all.

Does WC use Chin Na?

Ravenshaw
02-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Wing Chun uses Chi Sao (sticking hands), but I have never heard of Chin Na in Wing Chun. A Wing Chun stylist would definitely be able to incorporate Chin Na techniques into his fighting, but I don't think that it is traditionally a part of Wing Chun.

yuanfen
02-15-2003, 05:45 PM
mtod1 asks:Does WC use Chin Na?
-------------------------------------------------------
"Use" may not be the best verb.
But control and attacks on cavities and joints- YES...
but not at a novice stage.
yuanfen

cha kuen
02-16-2003, 01:15 AM
I don't think that wing chun uses much chin na but it would definitely be helpful for any wing chun player to learn some basic chin na and takedowns.

yuanfen
02-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Cha kuen- how much is much?
if the opportunity presents itself and you are accomplished in wing chun- you do the needful

t_niehoff
02-16-2003, 07:08 AM
As I learned WCK, practice WCK, and understand WCK, everything we do is at once an offense, a defense, a strike, a kum na (the cantonese for chin na), fan kum na (anti-grasping and seizing), a throw or takedown, etc. How WCK uses kum na is very specific and consistent with its method. For those of you who can't see kum na in your art, at a very basic level what to you think lop sao is about? (grasping and hitting). TN

Terence

hunt1
02-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Yes Wing Chun uses Chin Na. Clear uses are in all the forms if you know what you are looking for.

canglong
02-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Well put hunt1. As for my own experience YES we do study and employ the use of chi na in our wing chun.

Ultimatewingchun
02-22-2003, 04:07 PM
In Traditional Wing Chun as taught by Grandmaster William Cheung there are many chin na techniques employed...a variety of wrist locks and elbow locks in particular..he also teaches some choke holds. Some of the sweep takedowns and throws he teaches come right out of the Wooden Dummy Techniques.