PDA

View Full Version : protein

stubbs
02-16-2003, 06:42 AM
is what this site says correct? they reckon the average person only needs 25 to 35 grams of protein per day:

http://www.alphaomegafood.com/protein_truth.htm
________
FORD CLASSIC SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Classic)

Mr. Bao
02-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Stuff:

I would like to say that no if your adult. If you are active person and exercise regularly you need good amount of protein in your diet. This is common sense and I do not care to further explain why. And iif there were a link telling people that the world is flat. I would answer no, the world aint flat. That is my answer.

morbicid
02-16-2003, 09:38 AM
the site seems very pro-vegetarian. it's all like "meat will not make you strong!:. boasting how strong eating fruits and veggies make u, but i know a few vegetarians and they're pretty skinny and look a bit malnourished.

what a bunch o crap. cant there be a happy medium between being a vegetarian or bein a meat eater ?

abobo
02-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by morbicid
the site seems very pro-vegetarian. it's all like "meat will not make you strong!:. boasting how strong eating fruits and veggies make u, but i know a few vegetarians and they're pretty skinny and look a bit malnourished.

what a bunch o crap. cant there be a happy medium between being a vegetarian or bein a meat eater ?

That's what the Mediterranean Food Pyramid (http://www.oldwayspt.org/pyramids/med/p_med.html) is, more or less.

Also, while I know a few people who slimmed down after becoming vegetarians, it is not unheard of for a vegetarian to be hyooge and strong (http://www.cbass.com/Hilligenn.htm).

SirenOfAcreLane
02-16-2003, 06:26 PM
35 grams of protein per day is fine*

*if you plan on doubling as a stick insect.

abobo
02-16-2003, 07:00 PM
This (http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/caryn/protein.html) should quantify the answers we've been giving you. Some people eat more than 2 g / kg body weight daily, but I'd say it's a good place to start.

stubbs
02-17-2003, 02:09 AM
i just wanted to check. i found the site whilst searching for the dangers of consuming too much protein cos on another board somebody was telling me that they new someone that had a heart attack from eating too much protein!!!! i wasn't too sure so i thought i'd try and find some info for myself.

i've found some sites that say consuming too much protein can damamge your kidneys and liver and possibly lead to heart disease. but im still not sure how much is too much.
________
Magazine m83 only airsoft electric (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/magazine-m83-only-airsoft-electric/)

Mr. Bao
02-17-2003, 07:02 AM
Stubbs:

Greetings and good health.

Just do it.

Fear is the biggest hinderance for most people. This to that will kill you. I hate these bsers and the nay sayers. You know what f$#@ them all.

I suggest that you do what you really feel inside is right for you and stop the asking of questions of safety.

Test it out, try the low protein or high protein, and see how it effects you. If the low protein does the job for good; if it doesn't, well try something else until you find what works.

There is no magic number, brother. Why not 3 grams, but 35 grams a day? These people who are giving exact numbers do not know your life style or know your personal needs or personal make up. Therefore, I do not worship the numbers, I worship the results. Just do it.

That is my 3 cents.

stubbs
02-17-2003, 08:17 AM
thanks mr. bao,

the reason i was looking for info was in that other forum the people were basically saying that creatine and protein suppliments are bad (note they didn't say bad if you take too much or whatever, they just said it was bad) and that gaining mass will make you slow and can reduce your range of motion and damage your heart!!! i know that they're wrong (to a point) because of the improvements in my all round fitness that i've gained thanks to weight training, i just wanted some research to back me up (in particular the "protein is bad for you" comment).

cheers,
stubbs
________
MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

Mr. Bao
02-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Stubbs:

The people who have mentioned that protein or creatine is bad in the other forums are probably weaklings, ignorant, or never seriously studied strength conditioning sciences and supplementations. I wouldnt mine if they tried it properly and make a personal choice not to do again, but of these haters are intellectualists who lived in other people's experience and tales instead of living their own experience and wisdom. Hence, leave these jokers alone. If you are gaining your goals, who cares about these jokers. LoL. Don't bother being Moses for them and like I said before F$#@ them. Good luck with your training, brother. Allow people to think for themselves and dont try to convince anyone who dont want to listen.

Best Cheers.

Ming Yue
02-17-2003, 12:46 PM
I try to eat 50% of my body weight in grams of protein per day.
for me that's 67-70g.

Seemed like a lot to me at first. I try not to consume more than 10-12g at a sitting, have 5-6 small meals a day, and on a good week I workout 5 times.

Been adhering to this for a couple of months now, and have definitely noticed an increase in strength and endurance.

-Cynth

ps. valentine's candy is protein, right? ;)

Mr. Bao
02-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Well V candy can be protein if there are heart shaped cookies made from whey protein, mexician coco chips, and almonds. Yummie, lol.

Jenifer, NYSC's master trainer, a female body builder, and very dear friend gave these cookies as her V to me. It was sweet both physical and emotionally. She is cool friend and her arms are like diseselly awesome. LoL. I am lucky I am secure about my own manhood around her, LoL. Bless her tho because she could beat up other girls who wronged me in the past, LoL.

Best Cheers

IronFist
02-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
I try to eat 50% of my body weight in grams of protein per day.
for me that's 67-70g.

Seemed like a lot to me at first. I try not to consume more than 10-12g at a sitting, have 5-6 small meals a day, and on a good week I workout 5 times.

Been adhering to this for a couple of months now, and have definitely noticed an increase in strength and endurance.

-Cynth

Are you serious? 10-12g in one sitting? A chicken breast is like 30g... which is fine, btw. A lot of people aim for at least 30g per sitting, with 5-6 meals per day.

IronFist

Ming Yue
02-17-2003, 07:36 PM
I understand that your body can't effectively assimilate more than 20g of protein at a time. That's secondhand knowledge, I think from a book by Bill Perl. but that's not entirely why the small meals.

I've never been a large volume eater - so small amounts more often work great for me. I rarely will eat a whole chicken breast unless that's all i"m eating, maybe a small one with salad and veggies.... I'm not a die hard about limiting the grams per meal, I'll eat some steak, or a hamburger... I just try to be conscious about getting enough protein in a day to support my excercise level, and it works best for me if I bust it up into small chunks throughout the day.

C

rubthebuddha
02-17-2003, 11:38 PM
20g for whom? a lot of that varies on the size of the person. i may be able to handle 30 no prob, my sihing probably half more than that, and my sije probably not much more than 20. sihing is hyooooge, sije is tiny. i'm a happy medium (just more muscly).

Mr. Bao
02-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Iron Fist,

Leave Ming alone about her small amount of protein intake? If eating that much of protein is enough for her so be it. There is no magic number for anyone and maybe a total of 20 grams is just right for her. I am doubtful about that but I will give MIng the benefit of the doubt tho. I average about 100-160 grams of protein per day, 50-80 grams at dinner and 30-50 grams of whey before and after my workout. This works for me, but i wouldn't tell other people to follow my example completely.

Cheers.

Protein is good especially porter house steaks.

Cheese Dog
02-18-2003, 01:05 AM
The standard advice I have heard and read many times from many bodybuilding experts is 1 gram of protein a day per pound of bodyweight. So if you weigh 150 lbs. consume 150 grams of protein a day. This works well for me but you should experiment and find what works for you.

Ming Yue
02-18-2003, 05:04 AM
I weigh between 135-140, I'm 5'8". The 65-70 g of protein a day is my minimum, not my maximum. I'm strong, I have plenty of endurance and tons of energy.

This amount works for me. I'll continue to ramp up my intake as I increase my workouts.

Jamesbond_007
02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Mr. Bao:
Out of curiosity why do you take whey protien before your workout and how long before?

I always take it after my workouts and tried to workout on an empty stomach to optimze fat burning. I just read some where about taking it before a workout and after, but I was wondering your reason behind it.

thanks

IronFist
02-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Bao
Iron Fist,

Leave Ming alone about her small amount of protein intake?

Whoa, chill out, tough guy. Did I say anything mean to her? I just said that doesn't seem like much and that many people would consider a chicken breast a meal, and it has 30g or so of protein so maybe she was getting more than she thought without knowing it.

I said:
Are you serious? 10-12g in one sitting? A chicken breast is like 30g... which is fine, btw. A lot of people aim for at least 30g per sitting, with 5-6 meals per day.

See? I was just presenting other information.

IronFist

Mr. Bao
02-18-2003, 06:22 PM
I am sorry iron fist, I am no tough guy. I am a ***** willow at heart.

abobo
02-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Right now I'm in the middle of the second week of a two week break from the gym. Pretty soon after it started, I found I had no craving for protein anymore. I've been eating vegetarian the whole time, at first by coincedence and now by choice.

Once I get back in the lifting groove, I will see if I start seeking the fish, eggs, dairy, and legumes in mass quantities as usual.

Ming Yue
02-20-2003, 08:14 AM
I certainly didn't take any offense at anything. Iron Fist is right anyway, I eat less than most folks.

Apparently chivalry isn't dead, just occasionally misplaced.
:)