PDA

View Full Version : What kind of monkey style was this?

carly
02-16-2003, 04:27 PM
I knew a guy in the 1970s who was expert in a monkey style of kung fu.
He was very flexible, did a lot of rolling attacks, and he fought with a shorter staff than is usual - it was maybe four feet long, and painted all over with esoteric chinese symbols and writing.
One of weirder and more impressive things he did was to place his legs behind his head and then lean forward and rock on to his hands, and walk and run on his hands the way most people move on their feet.
I doubt this was tai sheng pek kwar (maybe it was?) - does anyone know of a monkey style that sounds like this?

Surferdude
02-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Yea I think it goes under monkey right?:D :p

SevenStar
02-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Where's that "do not feed" sign? :)

joedoe
02-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by carly
I knew a guy in the 1970s who was expert in a monkey style of kung fu.
He was very flexible, did a lot of rolling attacks, and he fought with a shorter staff than is usual - it was maybe four feet long, and painted all over with esoteric chinese symbols and writing.
One of weirder and more impressive things he did was to place his legs behind his head and then lean forward and rock on to his hands, and walk and run on his hands the way most people move on their feet.
I doubt this was tai sheng pek kwar (maybe it was?) - does anyone know of a monkey style that sounds like this?

This guy didn't happen to hang out with a monk, a pig, and a fish did he? :D

PHILBERT
02-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Where's that "do not feed" sign? :)

http://www.massassi.net/etc/kedri/dontfeed.jpg

Surferdude
02-17-2003, 07:49 AM
Hahahahahaha:D
Do not feed:p

No_Know
02-17-2003, 08:28 AM
The person was likely a name like Paulie Zinc. But the style with which he generally associates, the supposed head of that style has web pages indicating that all his stuff is not that lineage, or some such.

If it's Paulie Zinc he's associated with that monkey style about which you've been asking.

Former castleva
02-17-2003, 09:02 AM
I think many recognize Paulie Zinc to be a fraud.
They say his stuff has very little to do with real monkey KF.

Skarbromantis
02-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Former castleva
I think many recognize Paulie Zinc to be a fraud.
They say his stuff has very little to do with real monkey KF.

Just like carly !

Skard1

carly
02-17-2003, 01:50 PM
No guys, not a troll.
And it wasn't Mr. Zink. This guy was also Californian, but his name was Richard.
I thought it must have been TSPK, but I don't think it was now.

Surferdude
02-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Yea good ole monkey kung fu impersonators....
Cant stand umm, cant shoot um:D :p

carly
02-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Keep in mind that this was in the eary 1970s, few people in the wets knew what kung fu was, never mind monkey kung fu, and the guy wasn't teaching for money or advertising himself.
His kung fu was unlike anything I had ever seen before, and he was very good.
In those days there was no internet, the world wasn't as small, and there was no specialized forum such as this where you could ask informed people about ape styles.

Surferdude
02-17-2003, 04:19 PM
EArly 70's, nevermind what I said then.
Yea there werent alot of people that impersonated kung fu then:o :D

carly
02-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Well, lots may have impersonated kung fu, but I could distinguish between garbage and skill even then, and this guy was good enough that I still remember hsi kung fu to this day.
Which is part of what makes it so puzzling - that kind of skill doesn't come out of a vacuum - he must have been part of an established tradition or school, and there must have been others who learned it.

No_Know
04-07-2003, 08:31 AM
That guy probablly (http://www.martialinfo.com/Styles/monkey.htm)

apoweyn
04-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by carly
Well, lots may have impersonated kung fu, but I could distinguish between garbage and skill even then, and this guy was good enough that I still remember hsi kung fu to this day.
Which is part of what makes it so puzzling - that kind of skill doesn't come out of a vacuum - he must have been part of an established tradition or school, and there must have been others who learned it.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Guile
04-07-2003, 10:27 AM
He must be oooooooooooooooooold:D

carly
04-07-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm an old dog, not a teen.

Brad
04-07-2003, 01:53 PM
****, I forgot about that TSPK video... sorry man! I'm a dumb@ss :D

Monkeymaster
04-09-2003, 10:35 PM
I know some people claim to be higher rank than what they really are or never finish their training and claim to be masters ( a certain monk comes to mind) but what do you guys mean about the imposters? I have never seen pauly zink move. I have only seen pic in the kf mags but why do you call him in impostor? It can't be because he has no experienc. I have been seeing him in mags since the 80's. His web sight also posts his lineage. so I don't see the problem.

I do know that 2 people claim the title "monkey king". Or should I say that there are 2 people that are refered to by others monkey king. zink and that petite chinese dude... forget his name. and can I say that I have seen him in mags often and heard that he had a movie out. "monkey fist" i think it was called.
well can I tell you under no cercomstance should you buy this movie!!!!!!!!!! It was total $hit!!! Paulie Zink has got to be better than this guy!!!!
If he isn't then I might as well claim myself "Monkey King"
I should be fair and say that the movie was (obviously) from the 70's so maybe he has gotten better.

Richie
04-10-2003, 02:37 AM
Paulie Zink is trash. The guy from "monkey fist" (Chan Sau Chung) is the best. Check out "Duel of the seven tigers" if you really want to sere SiGong Chan get down.

carly
04-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Can you tell us anything about what the monkey rope training consists of and what benefits it gives the monkey stylist who practices it? Thanks.

Former castleva
04-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Iīve read Zincīs stuff is not for real,not ape kf.

Richie
04-10-2003, 02:26 PM
It gives you strong fingers, wrists, and arms.

carly
04-10-2003, 02:28 PM
was a clip I saw from his monkey self-defense video on dragonslist a while back, and it was pretty awful, verging on comical.