PDA

View Full Version : North or south?

BurtRaynolds
09-30-2001, 12:01 PM
Hi
First of all I'd just like to say that I know nothing about Kung Fu, so be patient.

My question is: Is "He Nan Xin Yi Liu He Quan" and "Lao Jia Chen Shi Tai Ji Quan" (also called "Chen Shi Tai Ji Quan" I think)a Southern or Northern style. The first is from Henan, the second from Wudang.

Hope someone can make a little sense out of all this. Thanks.

Stumblefist
09-30-2001, 01:18 PM
1. sounds like "Henan Province new First Road (liu or lu?) Crane Form.
No! scratch that!
ok CP: ! that's henan's Xingyi 6 harmony fist?

2. I think the Chen people are rolling over in their graves! ;) . Chen style tai ji is also from Henan, Wenxian County.
tr: "Chen style tai qi" (actually there are 2 that i know of"

Chen shi lao jia di yi lu
chen shi lao jia di er lu
number 1 and number 2 of the old empty hand styles.
Anybody know of any others? i mean pre-date Chen xiao-wang's 38 and etc.
What's this all about anyway, whats the background?

"A wish to go to Heaven is the very beginning of falling into Hell."

Crimson Phoenix
09-30-2001, 01:19 PM
Both are considered internal styles, even if some Xin Yi Liu He currents are at the limit of being external...You do not really refer to northern or southern when dealing with internal arts, even if they originated somewhere in China :-)

Crimson Phoenix
09-30-2001, 01:22 PM
Actually, if someone cares, Henan Xin Yi Liu He Quan is often translated as "Henan province heart-mind 6 harmonies boxing"
Xin Yi Liu He used to be Xing Yi Quan's original appelation (or at least some currents of it), before it became shape-mind fist and not heart-mind fist.
Xin and Yi actually refer to ONE mind, but the chinese make a distinction between an emotional, visceral mind (Xin) and a steady, logical and calmer mind, the Yi...
Xin-Yi, then, actually means the mind as a whole, the two aspects of the chinese way of seeing mind mixed in an unbroken unity...

Felipe Bido
09-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Henan Xinyi Liuhequan, like Shanxi/Hebei Xingyiquan is a northen style. But, being an internal style, it doesn't share the characteristics of other northen systems (High kicks, wide positions, etc.). Its only similarity with northen styles is the geographical situation.

Un ratón no pone su confianza en un solo hoyo.

BurtRaynolds
09-30-2001, 06:59 PM
Northern style mostly uses a lot of legwork and kicks as well as low and high stands. Southern uses mostly the arms and you do not move so much. And use low stands most of the time.(Yes!?!)

What about internal Kung Fu I know about the use of internal energy and not physical strength, but do you use arms or legs mostly and low or high stands, what?

Do any of you know of a great place where I can read alittle about some of the Kung Fu styles. (I know there's A LOT)

Thanks for your help.

Mr. Nemo
09-30-2001, 08:44 PM
"Northern style mostly uses a lot of legwork and kicks as well as low and high stands. Southern uses mostly the arms and you do not move so much. And use low stands most of the time.(Yes!?!)"

No, not really. There's no convenient, hard and fast distinction between northern and southern styles. Northern styles don't always use a lot of kicks. As for the distinction between internal and external, ask five people on this board and you'll probably get seven or eight answers.

Are you trying to pick a school to study at? If you gave us descriptions of some of the schools in your area, we might be able to help more. I prefer northern styles, myself.

BurtRaynolds
09-30-2001, 10:42 PM
Yes I am looking for a school. Kung Fu seems like a really great martial art, but it's also a bit confusing with all the types.

Here are the styles avalible:

Long Quan Pai (Zhong Guo Quan Fa Tang Shou)

Qi Xing Shao Lin Tang Lang (Seven Star Praying Mantis)

Lan Shou Men Gong Fu (Barring Fist Door)

Lao Jia Chen Shi Tai Ji Quan (Taijiquan)

He Nan Xin Yi Liu He Quan

Wing Tsun

I know a little about Wing Tsun and I've studied a little Shotokan Karate a long time ago. (If you need arts to compair to) Wing Tsun seems intersting, as for the rest, I know nothing about them what so ever.(very little anyway)

If any of you could tell me about the styles (or post some links) I'd be very greatful.

Thanks.

Mr. Nemo
10-01-2001, 02:49 AM
Hooboy, that's alotta chinese.

Really, you should go a school by school basis, not a style by style basis. Also, kung fu styles can run from practically all striking to practically all wrestling to just about everything in between - China's a big country.

That said, it sounds like seven star mantis and chen taiji are two of your options. Not knowing anything else about the schools, those would be my first two choices. But find out about the schools, and the instructors, which really matter more than the style, if you ask me.

Never heard of it. That doesn't mean its not any good, though, just that I've never heard of it. There are zillions of schools out there.

Seven star mantis, when its a good instructor and the real thing, gets glowing reviews. Again, don't know anything about the instructor. For a general overview of the style, search on the web or go here (http://www2.micro-net.com/~ycsu/mantis.html) to see a video. The video is poor quality, but not the guy performing it. The video is not sped up.

See the long quan style. (I've never heard of this one either)

This sounds like chen taiji, which is usually the most combative style, though again, it various from school to school. Look here (http://www.chentaijiquan.com) for info.

Sounds like xingyi, but that "liu he" means "six harmonies"...I don't know what this is. Most likely henan xingyi, a cool style. Check out
emptyflower (http://www.emptyflower.com) for info on xingyi.

[This message was edited by Mr. Nemo on 10-01-01 at 05:57 PM.]

Felipe Bido
10-01-2001, 03:23 AM
Henan Xinyi Liuhequan is different from Xingyi, though they come from the same source.

Jarek's site (http://homepages.msn.com/spiritst/xinyi/index.html) is one of the best places to find info on this martial art.

Un ratón no pone su confianza en un solo hoyo.

Stumblefist
10-01-2001, 09:51 AM
Ohoboy Burt, you just about can't go wrong with any of those choices, all first class. Chen is the best taiji in the world...ahem.
How did denmark get so much good choice.? All the masters found an easy coutry to emmigrate to?

BurtRaynolds
10-01-2001, 01:05 PM
Why can I choose all of this? Don’t know, but I guess it’s bacause of this guy who lives here in Odense. He’s some kind of unnatural martial arts machine. His name is Shifu Jørn "Pai Hu" Brandt he’s got black belt in Tea Kwon Do, Shorin Ryo Karate, Chakibo, Long Quan Pai, Qi Xing Tang Lang, Lan Shou Men, Xin Yi Quan, Tai Ji Quan, Kenpo and more. He teaches in 6 of them and it says on their website that he’s among the highest gradueded in Long Quan Pai. His former teacher was Shigong Chen Gung Li who lived in Odense from 1972 till his death in 1992, Brandts present Teacher is Shigong Xu Guo Ming (known as George Xu in the US where he lives.)

Their website is a little confusing, but I think I can study them all here in my city. I was begining to have second thoughts about Kung Fu, now I guess I should check it out.

Thanks for the information so far, I'd still like more if you can tell me anything.

Stumblefist
10-01-2001, 02:12 PM
All from one guy?
That's a horse of a different color. Too many for one guy. I don't know maybe good, maybe not.
Karate, 7star and mantis?
???? What's his website?
Suspect he's trying to go for too many credits. maybe just one ogf them is his real strengh or this real basics
maybe, maybe not
Try to match the one you like the most with the one he's best at.

Wongsifu
10-01-2001, 02:21 PM
wow, the best way to look at it is from your personal point of view do you like a slow soft martia lart that takes like 10 years to get good at, do you prefer a martial art that is fast karate like and sporty , do you like a martial art that is traditional and complex.. ??Long Quan Pai (Zhong Guo Quan Fa Tang Shou)

like mr nemo said go to emptyflower.com and the chentaiji site he mentions for some basic info.

the only thing i can say that might help is

look at the main parts of the martial art so as not to get confused

example

tanglang = praying mantis, do a web search on seven star preying mantis kung fu and see what you get this will give you adequate info...

what you want to look at here is chen tai ji quan or Chen Tai chi chuan
This is tai ji , you know what the old people practise in parks , but chen is the family style of tai ji , there are 5 main styles chen . yang wu,sun, wu(woo)
each style of tai ji is differnet but the same, most people like chen style as it has the most obvious martial applications which are still practised...

I would believe that as other people has speculated this is Xin yi or hsing yi, do a search on hsing yi for more info , but this is a ver internal style that is very powerful adn straight forward, to a beginnar it can look like it resembles karate only with more flavour...

Wing Tsun
This is also spelt wing chun... you practised it you must know !!

I havetnt got a clue....

the way i see it , if you want a simple but effective style for the street pick , wing tsun...

F you want something complex and effective but internal also , that is of a higher level than wing chun , go for the hsing yi.... Like i said it closely resemples the movement directions and kind of body structure of karate....

If you want something spicy with variety choose the praying mantis it has a bit of everything in it ... it is traditional it has complex leg and arm movements looks good and is vicious...

if you like the extreme of doing a martial art that is probably the most complex in the world that take the longest to master , choose chen tai ji ,
you will learn how to fight after 10 years or so , but if you ocntinue learning it properly after 20 years , you make the other martial arts look like play things, the key word is learning it properly if you dont learn it properly after 20 years you wont be able to punch through a wet tissue.
also it helps you overall body condition get stronger fitter etc....

my advice is if you go with this choice its the hardest but most rewarding , if after 6mnths to 1 year you cant feel a good flow of energy in your body , stop learning it , the guy is wasting your time...

oh
and lastly about

im not sure im guessing but it could be also spelt as
lung chuan pai, which lung chuan is a dragon fist ...

do a search on dragon kung fu , as the stlyes of dragon vary drastically it may be internal and slow it may be external and hard , !!

I wongsifu shall strike fear into the hearts of trolls and mma guys who **** me off on these forums oh and in real life.

BurtRaynolds
10-01-2001, 07:51 PM
I think Shifu Jørn Brandt mainly studies Kung Fu now and he is very specialiced in Long Quan Pai. I could give you his website but it's in danish and I don't know if you'll get much out of it.

When Shigong Chen Gung Li (Brandts former teacher) fled China in 1972. Brandt was the first non-asian to study Long Quan Pai (Dragon Fist?maybe special type D F) that's why he one of the highest graduated in the world. 6.Toan (don’t know how good that is.) (I don't know if it's all tru, but I pretty sure it is)

One last thing I did not study Wing Tsun, but I do know quite a bit about it. I’m thinking about it though.

I also think you have to study Long Quan Pai before you can move on to another style.