PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

scotty1
10-01-2001, 11:20 AM
Anybody smoke? Anybody smoked, given up, then noticed a huge leap in their training?
C'mon, I need inspiration.

Goldenmane
10-01-2001, 11:41 AM
I smoke.

It is a severely irritating habit to try to break.

Good luck.

-geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-

David
10-01-2001, 12:14 PM
20 Minutes Blood pressure & pulse return to normal.

1 Hour Your circulation improves. Your hands and feet feel warmer.

8 Hours Nicotene and carbon monoxide levels fall. Oxygen in your blood returns to normal.

1 Day Your lungs begin to work better. Carbon monoxide removed from your body.

2 Days Your taste and smell improves. Nicotene removed from your body.

3 Days Breathing becomes easier. Your energy levels increase.

2 Weeks Withdrawal symptoms begin to ease. Walking & daily tasks become easier to do.

1 Month Withdrawal symptoms have stopped. your breathing and energy levels continue to improve.

6 Months Risk of heart attack, cancer & other smoking related diseases begins to fall.

qeySuS
10-01-2001, 01:11 PM
I dont smoke but i occationally use President Snuff (nose tobacco), but that's like once every 4 months or something (or whenever i happen to be drunk and someone has a small cylinder of it).

So yes it's just as dangerous in regards to cancer and such, but it doesnt effect my lungs as directly as the cigarette smoke. I do smoke cigars about once every 6 months or so, but i dont inhale it, (just like the taste of a good cigar).

Free thinkers are dangerous!

SLC
10-01-2001, 02:17 PM
I quit about ten years ago. No, the difference wasn't like getting 200 more horsepower in my car, the next day. More subtle and spread out over time. I've read that it can take a year or so for the crap to filter out of you.

Benefits:
I don't stink anymore... at least from smoking. ;)
I can't see my bad breath in the morning anymore.
Don't cough anymore.
Have grown rich from money saved.
Bought Ferrari.

Ben Laden, your operation was good; real good in fact. But you fu*ked up one little thing... you didn't get all of us.

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 03:46 PM
I can't see my bad breath in the morning anymore.

LOL @ the truth
:D

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Jeff Brown
10-01-2001, 04:33 PM
when i trained in Asia, everyone smoked, even my sifu smoked! everyone believes that martial arts skills will somehow protect you from the dangers of smoking but that is nonsense.

i went from 1.5 packs a day to zero and now wretch when i smell tobacco burning. i can't say that, because i don't smoke anymore my physical prowess has increased 10-fold. What i can say is, my body now knows what poison is.

glad i quit. i ecourage everyone who smokes to quit.

"Once I have harnessed the power of the Sun, I will be UNSTOPPABLE!" -- Mini-Me

kungfu cowboy
10-01-2001, 05:15 PM
Yesterday marked my 6 month aniversary of quitting smoking. I absolutely loved smoking. I thought I would never be able to stop. But I did, and it is one of the best things I ever did for myself. It made training so much easier, no stink, extra cash, etc. Being able to breathe is wonderful.

"If do right, no can defense!"----Mr. Miyagi

Ford Prefect
10-01-2001, 05:34 PM
Two weeks ago marked my 2 YEAR anniversary from quitting smoking cold turkey. I haven't had a drag of a cigarette in that time. My sense of taste and smell or greatly improved and I have a lot more energy. I still have dreams about smoking cigarettes though and will experience an occasional craving. The week of Sept 11th was like one long craving. It's like crack.

SLC
10-01-2001, 05:48 PM
"It's like crack."

Izzat right? ;)

Ben Laden, your operation was good; real good in fact. But you fu*ked up one little thing... you didn't get all of us.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2001, 06:47 PM
i'm 21 and have been smoking for 14 years.

yes i started smoking when i was 7. no joke. i was inahling when i was 8 and smoking a half a pack a day by 10 or 11.

i really cant imagine what life would be like without cigerettes. i'd love to be able to breath better, but i get chills just thinking about not ever smoking again.

my goal is to cut down to a couple a day and see if i feel that i could stop at that point. i know that the only way to quit is cold turkey, you really haven't quit until you quit cold turkey anyway, but i don't think it's something im ready for.

wierd thing is i don't have a smoker's cough at all. i never wake up hacking. the only time i notice it at all is when doing deep breething. i dont know if it has something to do with the fact that i smoke non filters (and don't inhale as deeply) or if im just saving it all up for the day it kills me.

where's my beer?

[This message was edited by GunnedDownAtrocity on 10-02-01 at 09:58 AM.]

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2001, 06:50 PM
. .... my sifu hates smoking.

he always asks me if i still smoke and when i say yes he punches me in the chest and walks away.

he also points at me and laughs hysterically when i start hacking during breathing exercises. ok ... well that would be funny, but he actually just smirks or makes a comment to the class about it.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2001, 06:57 PM
just reading this and responding to this post made me go smoke a cigerette.

where's my beer?

Daredevil
10-01-2001, 10:55 PM
David, nice list, where's it from / where's the evidence?

Not dissing the list, I think it's great, I'd like to know so I can quote it further. :)

Diamond Dragon
06-13-2003, 02:42 PM
In order to continue my training I must quit smoking because I know it's bad for the health. Does anyone have some advice on this or experienced themselves? My goal is just quit at once and not in small steps.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-13-2003, 03:01 PM
just give up on the whole quitting idea now before you cause yourself weeks or even months of frustration.

lots of people smoke and train ... be one of the good guys.

Lung Hu Pai
06-13-2003, 08:40 PM
In a couple of days, it'll be a year since i quit smoking. In my experience, you'll only quit if you really want to quit. I was ready to quit, so i did. A few things that helped were that i stopped drinking for a while (if you're a drinker), and i stopped hanging around my buddies who were all smokers. If you train hard enough and are really into it, then you'll eventually quit because it will hinder your progress and make you feel worse. In the end, follow what the nike commercial says and just do it. Good luck!!

Starchaser107
06-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Sounds like pretty sound advice, just go for it.

On second thought let me add to that. I currently don't smoke anything at all, , and its almost a year but not a full one yet since i stopped chain smoking, i got back into my bad habits last summer and was on this self destruct mode . I Was doing alot more partying and getting wasted, trying to dull my senses rather than focussing on training. after a few unnecessary incidents, and i saw it getting out of hand i decided to quit drinking and smoking and get back in shape , start training seriously again.
After i made the decision to TRAIN it was easy to stick with for the most part, if youre a haaaardcooore smoker it might be difficult to quit cold turkey, but the amount you do smoke should significantly decrease to a bare minimal once in every Blue moon or less. But as long as youre training hard and are dedicated to it , then you're more than likely going to feel the urge to indulge in bad habits less and less and you'll want to adopt a healthier outlook, if it's Training that you truly want to do.

Laughing Cow
06-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Forget cutting back, Nicotine gums, patches and so on.

Cold Turkey is the only way to go.
One thing that helps is getting into a hobby or similar that keeps your hands and mind busy. This will help overcome the mental habit of holding a cigarette.

Lung Hu Pai gave some good advice.

Quitting smoking should be done with a lifestyle change in mind.

I knew one guy at 48 he was heavily smoking drinking and into the women, one morning he looked into the mirror and decided to quit it all.
At 62 he was fitter and faster than any teen on the tennis court and he roller skated for 16km to play tennis.

Hope this helps.

Cashier Graham
06-15-2003, 01:29 PM
If you purchase untreated tobacco then you will find you will feel fitter as nicotine increases heamoglobin in the blood which means more oxygen. It's just the poisons that the smoking industry uses that cause illness and weaker lungs.

Stevo
06-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Cashier Graham
If you purchase untreated tobacco then you will find you will feel fitter as nicotine increases heamoglobin in the blood which means more oxygen. It's just the poisons that the smoking industry uses that cause illness and weaker lungs.

You're right about all the chemicals, but it's a myth that untreated tobacco won't hurt you! Tar is deadly and nicotine is a poison. A drop or two of pure nicotine will kill you!

As for quitting, here are some suggestions (successfully turned me into a non-smoker 2.5 years ago after being a heavy smoker for many years):

1. There are 2 aspects to the addiction - physical and psychological. Cold turkey gets the nicotine out of your system faster, eliminating the physical symptoms, then you can concentrate on dealing with the psychological symptoms. In my opinion, nicotine patches and gum just prolong the physical part of the addiction.

2. If you can, take time off work and any other demanding engagements and devote at least a few days to quitting - sleep a lot, stay away from influences that you associate with smoking. All the nicotine passes out of your body within 72 hours. Getting through that period is the hardest hurdle and things get gradually easier thereafter.

3. Drink lots of water (helps flush out nicotine) and eat a lolly or stick of carrot or something like that every time you have a craving. I used Minties (chewy mint lollies). Cravings become less and less over time and then it's easy to phase out the lollies.

4. Cut out alcohol and coffee in the beginning. After a few weeks I phased back in coffee and alcohol after a few months when I felt more secure about being a non-smoker.

5. Go for walks through parks and gardens and notice how good the flowers and plants smell - like a whole new world opening up.

6. Before starting to quit, write a list of reasons for quitting. Keep it handy so that you can keep reminding yourself how important it is.

7. As other guys mentioned, concentrate on your training or any other hobbies that make you realise how much better you feel and perform as the days and weeks go by without smoking. It will help reinforce your desire never to smoke again.

These websites might help:

http://www.quitnet.com/

http://www.whyquit.com/

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/BryanLeeCurtis.html

Ka
06-16-2003, 02:02 AM
Buy some rollies,slowly replace your tabacco with high quality Hash and Bud:eek:
Training will be so cool;)

bodhitree
06-16-2003, 05:21 AM
Good luck to you! I've tried to quit about 1000 times in the past two years! I never get past day 3. Get through it pm me and give me some inspiration to quit. Best wishes

Shaolin-Do
06-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Ive "quit" 3 times in the past year, for at least 1 1/2 months each time, then I get stressed and drunk and smoke cigs again. Right now Im about to quit for the "final" time... holy jesus the boss just walked up on me typing about how pot helps me quit. Wow. Got my heart beating hella quick... hehehe
anyhow.... Yeah. Pot helps a whole lot. Im scured to write more now, the boss is walking around.
:eek:
:)

Diamond Dragon
06-16-2003, 07:32 AM
Well guys thank you for all the advice I am now on day 2 of quitting because yesterday felt like the right moment to quit for me so...I did. I'll tell you if I make it passed day 3

Starchaser107
06-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Cancer isn't pretty , I've seen 2 ppl go out like that from smoking.

fa_jing
06-16-2003, 10:24 AM
I like to tell this story, I was smoking about a pack a day for a couple years, when I started with my teacher he has us do alot of cardio and bagwork, really pushes you to your psycholgical limit and past it - at this point you ALWAYS give up smoking in your mind - just can't do that to yourself anymore....then you finish, go home, forget about it, and light up another - well this process happened enough times, that finally I did quit.

Cashier Graham
06-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Stevo

You're right about all the chemicals, but it's a myth that untreated tobacco won't hurt you! Tar is deadly and nicotine is a poison. A drop or two of pure nicotine will kill you!

The tar is only a problem with treated tobacco and you can OD on a lot of things, about 100mg of nicotine a day, which is about a pack of cigarettes is all you need. You may or may not know but there are people who use tobacco equivilant to hundreds of cigaretes per day for hallucinagenic purposes, like shamens for example, there is no reported cancer or smoking related illnesses with these people. Just for the record I don't nor have ever smoked.

ewallace
06-17-2003, 06:28 AM
I've quit smoking as well. If you drink, you must stop for a while, especially in bars or anywhere people are smoking. I know it's hard, but try not to keep track of how long it's been. It's pretty easy to rationalize "Hey, I've been good for 4 days, I can have one".

Cold turkey is the only way to go, because it's the psychological addiction that is more dificult to beat than the physical. No cheating...drags off friends cigarettes. You need to do some planning as well. If you usually have a smoke after lunch, you need to plan some kind of activity such as going for a walk or eating some beef jerkey or a tootsie pop to break out of your normal routine, so your not sitting around thinking about how good that smoke after a meal was.

However, once you quit, you will be amazed at how easy it actually was.

Laughing Cow
06-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Both my parents were heavy smokers for many years.

They tried every which way to quit, in the end they tried cold turkey as a last resort.

End result:
My Father stopped smoking now for nearly 8yrs.
My Mother at the most smokes 2 cigarettes a day.

And they are complaining about all the money they spend on nicotine gums, acu-puncture, etc since those only provided physical and temporare relief.

Cheers.

BIGtiny
06-17-2003, 03:44 PM
I quit smoking over a year ago (smoked 13 years, quit April 2002). My experience was way different. I used the patch, made sure that I continued to go out and drink (only not smoke) etc. The rational was that I was to continue to live life how I was, just without Cigs. I felt like using the patch gave me enough nicotine to do the normal things I did, w/o smoking, and therefore allowed me to get used to doing those things with out seriously altering my life. I tackled the psychological first, and then the physical. Now when I go out or am around smokers, I haven't had 1 weak moment, not one. For me it worked, your mileage may vary. I'd swear by the patch though.
$0.02

-Bt

Former castleva
06-20-2003, 01:01 PM
I can only wish you strength.

I suggest you think about all the horror you will have to go trough if you keep smoking.
Lung cancer,as mentioned,is only the TIP of the ICEBERG.

BTW,smoking can cause permanent changes in your brain and probably will if you keep on,you may be craving for it but you´ll have to fight.

PQS
06-22-2003, 03:51 PM
I have smoked for about 25 years, I have tried patches and gum etc, but I think it is down to wanting to give up and it being the right time for you.
I am now on day 36 and having a bad day today,
I have been taking Zyban which seems to be o.k. for me
Good Luck
Regards
Peter

rubthebuddha
06-22-2003, 10:08 PM
kudos to you. best wishes on day 37. :)

bodhitree
06-24-2003, 07:57 AM
How is it man? whats going on, you need to inspire me to quit!!

Diamond Dragon
06-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Well yesterday I smoked just 1 but after that I decided to just try it again so now I'm on day 2 again. I finally started training again today and I think that's going to help.

bodhitree
06-24-2003, 10:32 AM
Dude, you can do it!!! Your better than me, remember that!!When you feel like smoking say I'm not like that punk bodhitree, Ican do this, I'm not weak like him!! you can do it!:) :)

PAMantis
06-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Bodhitree makes a good point. Get angry, be mad. Don't let the godda mn sh1t ruin/rule your life. Are you going to be weak enough to let some stupid little chemical control you?

That's how I have to motivate myself when I am feeling weak. About two years ago I was smoking 1-2 packs per day. I smoked for about six years and my last year in college I started planning my wedding. I realized that I wanted to be able to play with my grand children, and god willing my great-grand children. I went cold turkey for about six months then broke and started to smoke 2-3 cigs every day, then it started to be 3-5. I got ****d off when I realized what was happening. I quit cold turkey again. And once more six months later I started again. And this time it was one cig a day. It was going to turn into the same old story, but this time I wised up quicker. I have been training for about 2 months now, and haven't had a cig since I started. I am now also running, and see how badly my lungs have been injured. I used to run a six min mile (two miles within 12 minutes not a single 6 min mile). Now it takes me 20-25 min to run 2 miles.

Good luck friends. I hope you make!

Andrew

PQS
06-25-2003, 03:01 AM
day 39 still going strong
bet you a pint I'll last longer
Regards
Peter

Diamond Dragon
06-25-2003, 07:03 AM
I have a party tonight and it's day 3 now so that will be the ultimate test.

PAMantis
06-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Next time i'm in England (probably in about a year or so) I'll take you up on it. I'm not sure, but I'm about 50-60 days into it. I have so totally been disgusted that even when I go to bars, and have people smoking around me I don't even feel the urge. I am raging that I have been so da mn weak! Best of luck and I hope you and I can still be carrying on this bet next year!

Andrew

rubthebuddha
06-25-2003, 10:06 AM
change your thinking. every time you get the urge to smoke, do something to distract your body. a set of 25 pushups, going through your form(s), a couple stretches -- do something good for yourself instead of trying to fight something bad.

instead of being a smoker that's quitting, simply be someone who doesn't smoke. if you get the urge, pass it off and say to yourself, "i don't smoke."

Former castleva
06-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Wishing you strength!

PQS
06-26-2003, 12:05 AM
I go along with what RTB SAYS.
First you have to really want to, secondly you need to make changes to your lifestyle, I went along to a smoking cessation clinic where other people were in the same situation. Also I waited until it was a time I wouldn't get so stressed ie end of the football season I had just changed jobs so had less of an urge to go to the smoking room, cut down on beer.
Zyban seems to help too, a lot of people seem to do well with this
Day 40 and smiling
Regards
Peter

PAMantis
06-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Diamond Dragon,

Did you make the night without smoking, or did you lose your resolve?

Diamond Dragon
07-01-2003, 05:25 AM
I couldn't do it and I smoked 2 cigs :(. I keep doing that on day 3. But I keep on trying and I'm now on day 2 again.

rubthebuddha
07-01-2003, 09:25 AM
keep going big guy. you know you can do it. :)

PQS
07-01-2003, 01:06 PM
don't give up I smoked for over 25 years and I'm on my 40 something day without one.
Do your G.P'S do anything to help? I was prescribed zyban and it has really helped, good luck
Regards
Peter

PQS
07-04-2003, 01:48 PM
DD
let us know how you are doing I'm getting towards 50 days on Monday (samosas allround)
PM me if you want help
Regards
Peter

PQS
07-07-2003, 12:49 AM
yippie 50days without a ciggarette today
Peter

rubthebuddha
07-07-2003, 08:13 AM
pqs -- you ARE doing the happy dance, right?

Ming Yue
07-07-2003, 01:52 PM
nice job, guys!

I smoked for many years.

My uncle died of lung cancer. He was seemingly fine one day, had a nagging cough, went to the Dr. and was diagnosed a couple of weeks later. Within 6 months the cancer had eaten him alive. I can't explain what it was like seeing him deteriorate like that.

I had been wanting to (talking about) quitting for some time. That put me over the edge. I put them down and walked away. I chewed gum and kept a pocketful of those little peppermint candies.

Quitting is the best decision you'll make. You save money, you don't stink, you get a way improved sense of taste and smell, and you don't have to "step outside" at parties or movies unless you've picked a fight. :D

PQS
07-07-2003, 02:32 PM
RTB the happy dance ?
DD Keep going you can beat it

PQS
07-07-2003, 02:37 PM
I saw my Father in law die from smoking and it hurts big time
Regards
Peter

rubthebuddha
07-07-2003, 04:11 PM
pqs -- the happy dance is any dance you do when happy.

kinda like the peepee dance little kids do when they really need to use the throne.

bodhitree
07-08-2003, 05:31 AM
I'm quitting thursday using the losenges(i've tried with nothing the past few times and havent gotten past 3 days). I cant wait, its going to be rough, but perservearence is the way.:confused:

Ming Yue
07-08-2003, 05:41 AM
If you really want to quit, you'll find the willpower.
just take it one evil craving at a time.

you'll see. being a non-smoker rocks.
:D

Diamond Dragon
07-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi guys I'm back. I can't go any further than 3 days but I think that friday is the perfect day to stop because my friends are going on vacation so that means I can only get cigs by buying them so that's gonna make it a lot easier :)

Laughing Cow
07-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Diamond Dragon
Hi guys I'm back. I can't go any further than 3 days but I think that friday is the perfect day to stop because my friends are going on vacation so that means I can only get cigs by buying them so that's gonna make it a lot easier :)

Don't tell me that your friends are letting you smoke and even give you cigs.

:eek: :eek:

Diamond Dragon
07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
It's like this:
day 1: hey do you want a cigarette? No man I'm trying to quit.
day 2: hey do you want a cigarette? No man I'm trying to quit.
day 3: hey do you want a cigarette? Yes man. I thought you quit?

Laughing Cow
07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
DD.

Stay away from friends that are trying to offer you a cigarettes, atleast till you gone quiet some time without smoking.

Or make it VERY clear to them that they should not let you smoke under any conditions.
Good friends will try to help you in quitting.

First rule:
No ash-trays and no smoking in your living quarters, the same counts for visitors too.

Second Rule:
If people insist in smoking in front of you, excuse yourself and get some fresh air.

Cheers.

bodhitree
07-10-2003, 05:16 AM
The thread 'Again' on the TCM forum is now a stop smoking support group! Post there!!!

Diamond Dragon
07-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I'm on day 6 now and the worst part is over I think :)

bodhitree
07-17-2003, 05:39 AM
I'm on day 8 now! Hey stop by TCM forum, Thread Again

Diamond Dragon
07-18-2003, 02:26 AM
day 9 it's getting easy :)

ewallace
07-18-2003, 06:10 AM
Good job. Now stop thinking about it so much. :)

Don't you feel so much...cleaner? Your clothes should smell better as well.

Diamond Dragon
07-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Yes I defenitly feel cleaner. And more energized as well. Normally after work I would've smoked a cigarette, go home, sit down and play a videogame and go to sleep. Now I take my bike and drive to some friends just to talk a little and than I drive back home and I eat something and train a little. I recommend all smokers to stop immedietly :)

Diamond Dragon
07-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Day 14, I think I can now honestly say that I've quit.

ewallace
07-23-2003, 04:36 AM
Great job. Although I would just say you stopped smoking. After a year or so...then you really quit. :)

Urges (for me) will come and go. Especially in times of stress. If you screw the pooch...try not to...but if you do, just get right back on track. Whatever you do, do NOT ever...ever...ever ever ever...buy your own pack. That will be your downfall. :)

Again, great job. Feeling clean rocks doesn't it?

Laughing Cow
07-23-2003, 04:40 AM
DD.

As ewallace said the cravings/urges will remain for a looong time, don't give in.

As he said during times of stress or even when you had a few pints and feeling happy it is easy to pick one up again.

You won the first battle, keep going.

Cheers.

Diamond Dragon
07-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep my head up.
And ewallace, you really are right about the feeling clean part :).

Ming Yue
07-23-2003, 08:40 AM
You're a non smoker! :D

Even in times of stress, try to remember that smoking is no longer an option. I found it really helpful to keep that in mind. Don't even consider smoking again. You simply don't smoke.

When you get stressed, get a massage, work out, have a beer...
eat a little chocolate, hit the bag. Stay far far away from smokers if you know you're likely to cave.

Congrats!

rubthebuddha
07-23-2003, 08:29 PM
props to DD, and all the other hosers who gave the stuff up. :)

ewallace
07-23-2003, 10:16 PM
take off eh?

Water Dragon
07-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
You're a non smoker! :D

Nah, you're a smoker. Not a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker, you ARE a smoker. You always will be even if you haven't smoked in ten years. This means you don't have the option of smoking "just one".

Ming Yue
07-24-2003, 07:44 AM
well that's nitpicking now, isn't it. :)

maybe you're still a smoker. I'm not.

I worked hard to lose that nasty-a ss habit and the stigmas associated with it. I am within my rights to claim my non-smoking title. I earned it.

Water Dragon
07-24-2003, 08:02 AM
maybe you're still a smoker. I'm not.

I worked hard to lose that nasty-a ss habit and the stigmas associated with it.

maybe you're still an alcoholic. I'm not.

maybe you're still a junkie. I'm not.

maybe you're still a crackhead. I'm not.

Don't let your guard down buddy. All it takes is one smoke/drink/hit/fix and you're back.

Ming Yue
07-24-2003, 08:06 AM
bah.
s'got nothin to do with keeping my guard up.
I'll never smoke again.....

unless I catch fire.

edit:
it just doesn't have a hold on me anymore. at all... perhaps I just don't have an "addictive" personality (if there is such a thing).

Diamond Dragon
07-24-2003, 05:23 PM
I can really feel that I'm not addicted anymore. I'm going thru a real hard time due to some family matters and I just put my stress in other things, like building up energy for training. And it really works :)

anton
01-03-2004, 01:22 AM
Occasionally when I'm drunk

SanSoo Student
01-03-2004, 01:31 AM
I used to smoke during my high school days, I quit because I found out all the cr@p Menthols did to your lungs. I wasn't a heavy smoker, did like 3-4 cigs a day.

Benefits:
Stopped shredding my lungs with stuff in those cigs (they have bits of fiberglass is what I've been told)

That money is now used to pay my cell phone bill.

Stopped coughing up all that flem and spit, I hated that when I smoked.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-03-2004, 02:18 AM
i have already had cancer once and might be working on round two yet i still smoke.

Water Dragon
01-03-2004, 10:16 AM
I quit smoking June 25, 2003. Smoked about a pack a day for 17 years. I was in good shape for a smoker, so I thought :rolleyes:

I can run 3 times as far now, fight 3 times as long, I generaly feel better, smell better, have more energy, sleep less, etc.

It's worth it, but only when you get to the point where YOU don't want to smoke any more. Notice I didn't say, "when you want to quit" I said, "When you don't want to smoke anymore."

I started waking up and coughing black $hit outta my lungs, that made me not want to smoke cigarettes anymore.

old jong
01-03-2004, 10:34 AM
I quit six years ago. I feel six years younger than the day I decided to quit!...:cool: It really makes a difference.

blooming lotus
01-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm sure the national cancer council or the national anti-smoking council can provide you with back up evidence of that list. I've heard it several times......

( side note : was totally blown away in China by the amount of smokers, the quantity the av joe smokes ( up to 3 pks /day ) and the cost of cigarettes ( as cheap as 3-4 quai (RMB). Crazy)

Kristoffer
01-03-2004, 04:12 PM
4 quai! That's rediculously low priced.
But I'm glad I don't smoke.

Chang Style Novice
01-03-2004, 07:34 PM
I smoke two packs of filterless Lucky Strikes through the hole cut in my throat for the tracheotomy.*

* This may be an exagerration.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2004, 05:07 PM
when i had my wisdom teeth removed they said i couldnt smoke or i'd get dry socket from the vacuum you create when taking a drag off a cigerrette.

i do smoke non filters and i smoked through my nose for nearly 2 days.

fa_jing
01-05-2004, 05:21 PM
'dro

Indestructible
01-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity

You get my nod for being one tough son of a beach.

BlueTravesty
01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
I am very glad that I never started smoking. But most of that was because I was never in any circumstances that would be conducive to me starting. Excepting, of course, the fact that both of my parents were smokers from age 15. My sister started just before she turned 18. I'm 21 myself.

I know it must be extremely tough to quit though. I can only imagine what it would be like to give up a substance that your body was convinced it needed. Kudos to all who have given up, or are trying to. I can only aspire to have those kinds of guts.

joedoe
01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I have been asthmatic all my life and can't smoke, but I cough like a smoker. :(

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2004, 06:21 PM
bt ... it's refreshing to see a non-smoker be so understanding of a cigerettes grip on you.

i read somewhere that about 3% of the people who try to quit make it 5 years and out of that 3% a good portion start smoking again.

anton
01-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity

Holy crap! now that's what I call hardcore!

PS - Welcome to the forum BlueTravesty

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Smoking? Try replacing the oil filter.

BlueTravesty
01-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks anton!

As far as being understanding, the heck of it is, a lot of people face non-chemical addictions with much the same grip. Some of us are addicted to comfort, and we gotta push ourselves past that lethargy in order to work out so we can be stronger (I consider myself to be in this category.) For many people, other bad habits fill the same function (lots of heavy heavy drinking might help you A BIT with your 8 Drunken Immortals form or "Monkey Drinks his Master's Wine" technique, but not much else.) I guess I can relate to the smoker's plight, because much like smoking, being lazy can be very damaging physically to anyone especially persons like ourselves who pursue athletic disciplines. (case in point, my messed up hip and knees.)

GeneChing
11-15-2022, 08:52 PM
Chinese man 'runs marathon in just three and a half hours despite CHAIN SMOKING for the entire 42 kilometres' - and he's done it twice before (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-11428001/Chinese-man-runs-marathon-just-three-half-hours-despite-chain-smoking-entire-race.html?ito=social-facebookimage&fbclid=IwAR2TChMU_IIhLpd1UacVbRj6J5X-T9oxIoXWZh3AJ4Pn7uuaBtblWiX2TxQ)
Chinese man runs marathon while smoking cigarettes with time of 3:28:45
Photos of the 50-year-old man from Guangzhou competing have gone viral
'Uncle Chen' has been photographed smoking at other marathon events
By JAMES COONEY FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 21:27 EST, 14 November 2022 | UPDATED: 21:27 EST, 14 November 2022

Marathon runners are regarded as some of the most health-conscious athletes on the planet - but not a Chinese runner known as 'Uncle Chen', who has gone viral for chain-smoking cigarettes while he competes.

Chen, aged 50, recently completed the Xin'anjiang Marathon in Jiande, China while smoking throughout the 42-kilometre endurance event.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/11/15/01/64549055-11428001-image-a-126_1668474089261.jpg
Chinese marathon runner 'Uncle Chen' (pictured running in the Xin'anjiang Marathon) has gone viral for smoking cigarettes while he competes. Chen finished 574th out of nearly 1,500 runners, clocking an impressive time of 3:28:45

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/11/15/02/64549053-11428001-Chen_has_a_history_of_smoking_while_running_accord ing_to_Canadia-m-43_1668478685469.jpg
Chen has a history of smoking while running, according to Canadian Running Magazine. He ran both the 2018 Guangzhou Marathon and the 2019 Xiamen Marathon while lighting up

Photos of the Guangzhou man went viral on a Chinese social media app - and event organisers shared his finishing certificate afterwards.

Chen finished 574th in the race overall, with an impressive time of 3:28:45 out of nearly 1,500 runners.

The Chinese sensation has a history of smoking while running, according to Canadian Running Magazine, which reported that he ran both the 2018 Guangzhou Marathon and the 2019 Xiamen Marathon while lighting up.

In 2018, Chen clocked a time of 3:36, and ran 3:32 in 2019.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/11/15/01/64549051-11428001-image-a-128_1668474110889.jpg
There' is also evidence online that he runs ultramarathons too, with one spanning 50km and another lasting 12 hours

There is also evidence online that he runs ultramarathons too, with one spanning 50km and another lasting 12 hours.

Chen also apparently became known as 'Smoking Brother' in running circles after a 2017 event in Hangzhou city.

Reactions to the incredible athlete have been mixed - with some people saluting his abilities, while others think he sets a bad example.

'There goes my hero. Watch him as he smokes,' wrote one Instagram user.

'Imagine being stuck behind him the whole race,' said another.

'So this is what peak performance looks like,' joked a third.

There are currently no rules prohibiting marathon runners from smoking cigarettes while they compete.

****. Hardcore.

GeneChing
12-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Chinese Athletic Association proposes smoking ban in response to viral chain-smoking marathoner (https://nextshark.com/uncle-chen-chinese-marathon-smoking-ban)
The national sports governing body proposed a ban on smoking at marathons after a local runner went viral for smoking while competing
Editorial Staff

December 9, 2022
https://nextshark.com/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdata.nextshark.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F12%2Fphoto-output-1-770x433.jpg&w=828&q=75
Before you read:

Chinese uncle chain-smokes during 26-mile marathon, beats his own record

China’s sports governing body is apparently aware of the local who went viral for smoking while participating in a marathon, and they do not approve.

Chen Bangxian, also popularly known as Uncle Chen or Smoking Brother, was photographed smoking cigarettes while running a 42-kilometer (approximately 26-mile) marathon on Nov. 6.

Despite his chain smoking, the 50-year-old finished the foot race in less than 3.5 hours and ranked 574th out of nearly 1,500 runners.

The athlete’s unhealthy indulgence during the marathon propelled him into international virality, but now the Chinese Athletic Association (CAA), which oversees the country’s athletic events, has proposed that race organizers across the country ban smoking at marathons.

On Dec. 5, the CAA issued a proposal titled “Proposal for Running Civilized and Healthy Marathons” that calls for runners to “practice and abide by the regulations on smoking bans in public places, and be civilized, healthy, and positive citizens,” reported Canadian Running.

The CAA statement, which cited “a runner smoking during a marathon [who] attracted widespread media attention and caused a negative impact on society,” directed that runners should stay away from smoking and “nurture excellent hygiene habits and a civilized way of living,” according to state-owned media outlet Sixth Tone.

It will be up to race organizers to decide whether to implement the CAA’s proposal at their events.

Over 300 million people in China, or more than a quarter of its roughly 1.4 billion citizens, smoke tobacco, according to the World Health Organization.

Any ban on smoking at marathons will come as bad news to Chen, who reportedly only smokes while running and has been doing so since at least 2018.
Smoking is a stimulant so I suppose it could be a PED.