PDA

View Full Version : two good Mpegs

carly
02-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Several really nice and unusual variations on the breakfall- http://www.systemauk.com/video/sor1.mpg
+
-Two nicely-done knife defenses - http://www.systemauk.com/video/kd1.mpg

Sho
02-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Should we make a separate thread for all the video clip postings? :rolleyes:

carly
02-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Do you enjoy them?

Losttrak
02-17-2003, 03:58 PM
I like the rolls... def very interesting. The knife defenses are technically sound. The thing is... can those moves be utilized in a situation that requires gross motor skills like in the heat of battle/fatigue? I wont go into the falls as I am no falling expert but the first knife disarm... There are many simpler maneuvers that would immobilize much quicker than reaching with the far hand.. up and AROUND the arm. The attackers natural instinct would be to either slice or draw back. Once he had the slightest bend to his arm... that move would take too much effort to perform. I dunno... I see the need to come up with multiple ways of doign things but I think they need to be simple and possible under physical duress to be effective.

carly
02-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I hear you.
But I think these guys know what they're doing in general - these clips were chosen as impressive-LOOKING, I think.
The Russian special forces stuff is pretty no-nonsense.

red5angel
02-17-2003, 04:04 PM
The break falls leave me feeling sort of weird, however I like the knife disarms, I think they could be used fairly easily if, like anything else, they are trained enough. The thing I like about them is that there isn't a lot of fooling around. Straight to the point.

Sho
02-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by carly
Do you enjoy them?Sure. I just thought that it would be convenient to place all video clips on one thread, so that people could find them more easily - especially later on.

Surferdude
02-17-2003, 04:10 PM
I dont know the 2nd knife technique is a little weird lookin to me.
He grabs it close to him but what if the guy holding the knife just moved his wrist out then the defender would be cut.;)

TaoBoy
02-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Falls were interesting. :)
Knife defence didn't load. :(

bob10
02-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Always interesting ot hear feedback on the video clips. It's interesting how different people view them in different ways.

The only thing I would say with most of the clips is that they should be taken mostly as demonstrations as they are ususally from class situations and are to emphasise a certain point (excuse the pun).

Taoboy - the knife clips loaded OK for me, they are the same format as the other clips I think (I know that some of the older clips are in .avi)

Cheers

carly
02-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Excellent site, and good work. thanks.

SevenStar
02-17-2003, 10:15 PM
The first and third falls are similar to things we do in judo - we are taught to turn out of a fall, that way we don't end up on our backs (a clean throw that lands you squarely on your back is considered 'ippon' - a full point - and will end the match.)

The knife clip didn't load for me.

Taomonkey
02-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Breakfalls, I dont know, looks fun but more like traditional Russian Gypsie type dancing.

Knife defense first one, the guy gets cut, plain and simple, his technique is sound but his initial move turning into the knife, personally I would like to have seen him move on the 45 in towards his attacker and away from the knife. Who knows it could work, but I think he got cut, they should try it with markers or training knives with wet paint on them. YOu learn alot about how good your knife defenses are that way.

Both of those situations are a near loss, if you are in that position you have already made a mistake in allowing yourself to get there, but either way...its on!

bob10
02-18-2003, 04:25 PM
I don't know about magic markers or rubber knives, but there is considerable use of live blades in the Spets training, so I guess they have a fair idea of what works and not.

Having said that, unless you have a good skill level, any knife encounter is an exercise in damage limitation.

Cheers

Oso
02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
I basically liked and agreed with both.

We train breakfalls at beginning level then rolling out of all
throws at mid level. So, mostly same-same.

We do the first knife def almost verbatim. The first move for us
is actually the near (left, in this case) hand interposing between
the neck and the knife hand. I think this guy is doing the same
but the camera angle is not the best.

I'm not sure I like the second one and agree he is definitely cut
here. I have 1 I train for this and don't bother with others.
It's a fugged up place to be to defend against a knife.

I think all will agree with TM in that you have screwed up if you
get to either of these positions but I think it is standard training
for most systems to work these "hold up" type drills. We start
with these 'static' attacks at low level and work to defences vs.
dynamic knife attacks at mid and upper levels.